hey Rooman, what happened about the BT/Ben Kersten thing?

cfsmtb wrote:

> Gemma_k Wrote:
> >
> > Once they can do that it's only a hop skip and splash away from using
> > the
> > toilet - for real :)
> > My Whitworth (very vocal half-asian breeder's mistake) is now happily
> > pissing into the 2nd toilet bowl... he's not too keen on poos though!
> > I caught myself apologising to the cat the other day for walking in on
> > him
> > while he was sitting on the loo!

> Gem E, a *legendary* Abyssinian X, could aim to pee down the bath
> plughole. He also could open the fridge. This evil genius passed away
> eight years ago & I still miss him. :(

But could he open your beer and carry it to you?

Tam

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gemma_k Wrote:
> >
> > Once they can do that it's only a hop skip and splash away from using
> > the
> > toilet - for real :)
> > My Whitworth (very vocal half-asian breeder's mistake) is now happily
> > pissing into the 2nd toilet bowl... he's not too keen on poos though!
> > I caught myself apologising to the cat the other day for walking in on
> > him
> > while he was sitting on the loo!

> Gem E, a *legendary* Abyssinian X, could aim to pee down the bath
> plughole.

Whitworth was doing wees down the floor grate in both the bathroom and
laundry. That's why I thought the toilet might be a better idea!
The fridge door is too strongly sealed for him, the rest of the doors are
fair game though, and kitched doors and the laundry sink door to access the
cat food :) and windows too! (The little turd)
Gemm

Gemma_k wrote:
> My Whitworth (very vocal half-asian breeder's mistake) is now happily
> pissing into the 2nd toilet bowl

A cat named after a screw thread standard?

Donga

flyingdutch wrote:
> rooman Wrote:
>> payshunz me luvvlee, yuunnng lads gotta be payshent when thars a
>> eeeeeeeevol fings afoot...arrrrrrrrrrrrrchhhh...

> "Are we there yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, Are we there
> yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, Are we
> there yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, Are
> we there yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt,
> Are we there yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, Are we there
> yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, Are we there yetttttttt, "

Stooopppp the bus I want a weeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Stooopppp the bus
I want a weeeeee weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,Stooopppp the bus I want a weeeeee
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
--
Cheers
Euan

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> But could he open your beer and carry it to you?
>
> Tam

Why get a cat to do a woman's job?

[ducks and runs]

PiledHigher said:
Tamyka Bell wrote:

> But could he open your beer and carry it to you?
>
> Tam

Why get a cat to do a woman's job?

[ducks and runs]
But think of the possibilities!

You could train an entire army of cats to clean and service bikes while cooking pasta for the next week and giving a sport's massage!

Jono L said:
But think of the possibilities!

You could train an entire army of cats to clean and service bikes while cooking pasta for the next week and giving a sport's massage!

I've tried teaching cats what "pointing" is for the last 30 years. Doesn't work. BTW, ever tried herding cats?

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gemma_k wrote:
>> My Whitworth (very vocal half-asian breeder's mistake) is now happily
>> pissing into the 2nd toilet bowl

> A cat named after a screw thread standard?

Yup. Trying to find a whitworth spanner is like trying to find the cat.
Both Whitworths are bastards :)
Most people don't know what Whitworth is, well spotted!
Gemm

Gemma_k wrote:
> "Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Gemma_k wrote:
>>
>>>My Whitworth (very vocal half-asian breeder's mistake) is now happily
>>>pissing into the 2nd toilet bowl

>>A cat named after a screw thread standard?
>>

> Yup. Trying to find a whitworth spanner is like trying to find the cat.
> Both Whitworths are bastards :)
> Most people don't know what Whitworth is, well spotted!
> Gemm

People exist who dont know wha Whitworth is? Nah?

I suspect that when and if we do stunble across an alien spacecraft it
will turn out to be held together by nuts and bolts just as if we built
it. And the big question about their technology will be WTF left hand
threads?

Dave

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:56:13 +0930, "Gemma_k"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yup. Trying to find a whitworth spanner is like trying to find the cat.
>Both Whitworths are bastards :)
>Most people don't know what Whitworth is, well spotted!

takes its name from the brilliant British engineer who invented it.An
early standard for threads and spanner sizes.The size of a whitworth
spanner refers to the thread not the size of the bolt head.Phased out
in the 60's officially no longer used after 1965,but some
manufacturers carried on using it on some applications much later than
this.If you are a classic car or motorcycle enthusiast you'll come
across Whitworth and BSF sooner or later..(and the hole in the bottom
of you new camera is almost certainly 1/4 whitworth) Whitworth thread
is coarser than....

B.S.F...British Standard Fine.Another attempt at a standard.Whitworth
spanners will also fit BSF nuts and bolts.

Does Googling find your cat too ?

cfsmtb said:
BTW, ever tried herding cats?
It's high on the "to do list"...
So far I've ticked of "Chase down lama"
and "sub 15 min up 1/20"
"King of Hotham"

Jono "Braggin Rights" L

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yup. Trying to find a whitworth spanner is like trying to find the cat.
>Both Whitworths are bastards :)
>Most people don't know what Whitworth is, well spotted!

takes its name from the brilliant British engineer who invented it.An
early standard for threads and spanner sizes.The size of a whitworth
spanner refers to the thread not the size of the bolt head.Phased out
in the 60's officially no longer used after 1965,but some
manufacturers carried on using it on some applications much later than
this.If you are a classic car or motorcycle enthusiast you'll come
across Whitworth and BSF sooner or later..(and the hole in the bottom
of you new camera is almost certainly 1/4 whitworth) Whitworth thread
is coarser than....

B.S.F...British Standard Fine.Another attempt at a standard.Whitworth
spanners will also fit BSF nuts and bolts.

Does Googling find your cat too ?

Ah.... while we're in geek land, The Whitworth external Hex largely lives in in the standard nuts and bolts you pick up from your average hardware shop, although they are slowly morphing into metrics. Other odd fact is that originally BSF and Whitworth bolts (or setscrews; there is a difference) with the same diameter used different sized hexes. For the same sized hex, the BSF had the larger diameter, so you will find spanners (I have one in front of me now) Marked 1/4W 5/16BS.

In an earlier life I spent a lot of time under an orginal MM series morris minor, their engines were odd in that although the external Hexes were whitworth, the threads were largely non-standard Metric, a Legacy of German toolmaking equipment that the British received after WWI.

Why are may threads on a bike 24 tpi? - 24 tpi is also known as the Brass thread - all diameters used the same pitch, in the early days most of the parts on a bike had brass parts.

RoryW (Why o why do I remember this stuff....)

Rory Williams wrote:
> Aeek Wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:56:13 +0930, "Gemma_k"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yup. Trying to find a whitworth spanner is like trying to find the

>> cat.
>>> Both Whitworths are bastards :)
>>> Most people don't know what Whitworth is, well spotted!

>> takes its name from the brilliant British engineer who invented it.An
>> early standard for threads and spanner sizes.The size of a whitworth
>> spanner refers to the thread not the size of the bolt head.Phased out
>> in the 60's officially no longer used after 1965,but some
>> manufacturers carried on using it on some applications much later than
>> this.If you are a classic car or motorcycle enthusiast you'll come
>> across Whitworth and BSF sooner or later..(and the hole in the bottom
>> of you new camera is almost certainly 1/4 whitworth) Whitworth thread
>> is coarser than....
>>
>> B.S.F...British Standard Fine.Another attempt at a standard.Whitworth
>> spanners will also fit BSF nuts and bolts.
>>

>> Does Googling find your cat too ?

> Ah.... while we're in geek land, The Whitworth external Hex largely
> lives in in the standard nuts and bolts you pick up from your average
> hardware shop, although they are slowly morphing into metrics. Other
> odd fact is that originally BSF and Whitworth bolts (or setscrews;
> there is a difference) with the same diameter used different sized
> hexes. For the same sized hex, the BSF had the larger diameter, so you
> will find spanners (I have one in front of me now) Marked 1/4W 5/16BS.
>
> In an earlier life I spent a lot of time under an orginal MM series
> morris minor, their engines were odd in that although the external
> Hexes were whitworth, the threads were largely non-standard Metric, a
> Legacy of German toolmaking equipment that the British received after
> WWI.
>
> Why are may threads on a bike 24 tpi? - 24 tpi is also known as the
> Brass thread - all diameters used the same pitch, in the early days
> most of the parts on a bike had brass parts.
>
> RoryW (Why o why do I remember this stuff....)

We can't leave this discussion with BA left unmentioned, this was used
for small threads typically found on instrumentation and such. Making a
12 BA nut is quite a challenge when restoring an old device. And then
there's all the more peculiar threads like cycle threads, and ... and ...

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Karen Gallagher said:
. And then
there's all the more peculiar threads like cycle threads, and ... and ...

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Can't resist it

Cycle = brass = 24tpi

RoryW

Rory Williams wrote:
> Karen Gallagher Wrote:
>> . And then
>> there's all the more peculiar threads like cycle threads, and ... and
>>
>> Karen
>>
>> --
>> "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
>> - Slartibartfast

> Can't resist it
>
> Cycle = brass = 24tpi
>
> RoryW

With different hex (spanner) sizes, surely?

Karen Gallagher said:
With different hex (spanner) sizes, surely?

"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Now you have got me there, I don't know of any standard. A lot of it is being changed these days so it mostly lives on in items like the bottom bracket and freewheel / fixed cog threads where hexes dont apply.

We'll start discussing the merits of different shovels next.....

RoryW

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gemma_k wrote:
>> My Whitworth (very vocal half-asian breeder's mistake) is now happily
>> pissing into the 2nd toilet bowl

> A cat named after a screw thread standard?
>
> Donga

Well a cat is, of course, never coarse.

Aeek wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:56:13 +0930, "Gemma_k"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Yup. Trying to find a whitworth spanner is like trying to find the cat.
>>Both Whitworths are bastards :)
>>Most people don't know what Whitworth is, well spotted!

> takes its name from the brilliant British engineer who invented it.An
> early standard for threads and spanner sizes.The size of a whitworth
> spanner refers to the thread not the size of the bolt head.Phased out
> in the 60's officially no longer used after 1965,but some
> manufacturers carried on using it on some applications much later than
> this.If you are a classic car or motorcycle enthusiast you'll come
> across Whitworth and BSF sooner or later..(and the hole in the bottom
> of you new camera is almost certainly 1/4 whitworth) Whitworth thread
> is coarser than....
>
> B.S.F...British Standard Fine.Another attempt at a standard.Whitworth
> spanners will also fit BSF nuts and bolts.
>

> Does Googling find your cat too ?

Whitworth is still the most common thread. Your average gutterbolt is
Whitworth. BSF is a Whitworth thread, but fine, just the same as you
have metric screws of the same diameter but different thread pitch. The
main thing about the Whitworth thread is as much to do with the shape of
it as the sizes.

Schrodinger had a cat but he wasn't sure if it was dead or alive.

Friday