Hi need some advice

xtine1985

Jun 18, 2013
Hi all
I'm new to this forum and need some advice
I've recently been diagnosed with a Plantar Fasciitis basically I have a problem with the tendon running along the underside of my foot which causes me alot of pain when standing or walking for long periods of time. I am awaiting physio at the moment but one of the things that may help this pain is losing weight and obviously because of this pain in my foot jogging, dancing and power walking are out.
I've always enjoyed cycling and brought a bike a year ago to help me when I used to have to commute between work places in my old job I haven't got on it in months and when I did ride it before it was for short distances and like I said it's been a while!
I want to start riding again but to get fit and lose this excess weight and in turn help my foot problems.
Now I need some advice on how to go about this, what clothing is best to wear (please say lycra is not the only option as a size 16 this will not be pretty!) and is there any equipment you'd recommend? How far should I go and how fast?
I have an Apollo Elise Cruiser Hybrid Bike is this going to be a good bike to go for?
Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with your clothing question, but do have some suggestions re plantar fasciitis. I had it for 8 months, and it was excruciating. One of the reasons it takes so long to heal is that it's very easy to keep reinjuring the connective tissue in your foot. The thing that made the biggest difference in my case (aside from being careful when I walked) was learning to stretch before I ever left the bed at night. Basically, you do a calf stretch (the same kind you would do in the gym) about ten times. I know, this is hard when all you want to do is go to the bathroom and go back to sleep, but otherwise, you are almost certain to re-injure your foot, and start all over again.

Try to treat your foot problem without delay. I was limping for 4 months, and the podiatrist told me if I kept that up, I would permanently change my gait. He then gave me a steroid shot directly in the heel, which is something I will never forget. Good luck!

Cycling should wear loose clothes,but not dresses,you know~~and some problem of foot,cycling in the flat place,slow slow~~
good luck~~~

Do you have cycling shoes? If you get SPD shoes it can help with offsetting the pain of the tendon. The shoes are stiffer and some have rockered soles which reduce how much flexing your toes/arch have to do during riding and walking. That is why I wear my spd shoes almost all the time when I am at work(they look like skateboard shoes). You can wear lycra bike shorts under more 'normal' styles to get the benefits without the looks. The feel of a good riding short is like having just the right sport bra. Once you get the right set it makes a lot of outfits more versatile and fun to wear.