General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Hiding vegetables in food

Started by Cpschwarz · · Last activity · 91 posts · 3,617 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Cpschwarz
Posts
91
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,617
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 91
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that deals
    with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who absolutely
    refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the exception of
    potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or knows of a cook
    book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

  2. Quoted message said:

    "CPSchwarz"

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that deals
    with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who absolutely
    refuse to eat any type of vegetable.

    They need no vegetables, they ARE vegetables.... obviously
    you being the parent of those two losers are a zuchinni...
    have you no shame.

    I would stonngly suggest force feeding your losers
    harvard beets.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =--- ---= Move
    UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
    *********
    "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    tribulation." Sheldon ````````````

  3. in article [email hidden], CPSchwarz at
    [email hidden] wrote on 6/5/04 9:42 PM:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

    Chris, I've gone through this stage with two children and
    four grandchildren. If you successfully hide the vegetables,
    and then say, "See how good they were, see how you liked
    those vegetables," they will never trust you at table again.
    Patience is the best way to handle this, though it may make
    you a bit frantic at times. Kids grow up and get taller and
    stronger on the strangest self-chosen diets you can imagine.
    Oh, and don't forget the one-a-days. Larry

  4. CPSchwarz said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    One way to do this is to make a sauce with a vegetable base.
    Simmer your veg of choice in some chicken stock till soft,
    then run it through a blender to make a puree. Mix it with
    shredded pork or chicken and stuff some tacos with it.

    --
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot)
    com

  5. CPSchwarz said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Maybe they would find the vegetables more acceptable as
    juice. You'll lose a lot of the fiber, but you'll get most
    of the nutrient value. If you get serious about juicing,
    you'll want to get a Champion juicer. They're the best!
    Retail they're $300, discount $240, used on eBay about $100.

  6. "CPSchwarz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    : I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book
    : that deals
    with hiding
    : vegetables. I have two boys who absolutely refuse to eat
    : any
    type of
    : vegetable with the exception of potatoes. If anyone has
    : any
    suggestions or
    : knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Chris
    :
    : =================

    Chocolate Zucchini Loaf, Weight Watchers Prune Bread
    (tastes really good! Much better than the name implies),
    Carrot Cake,
    U.P. Pasties, Quiche, Colcannon, Fried Green Tomatoes,
    Tomato Pie, ummm, do these help? Recipes to follow:
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>

    Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

    3 c Flour
    1/4 c Cocoa 1 TBSP Cinnamon
    2/2 tsp Baking Powder 1 tsp Baking Soda 1 tsp Salt 2 c
    Sugar 3 Eggs
    3/2 c Oil 2 tsp Vanilla Extract 1 Banana 2 c grated Zucchini
    1 c chopped Nuts 1 c Semi-sweet Chocolate chips or chunks

    Heat oven to 350. Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans. In large
    bowl, combine Flour, cocoa, cinnamon, Baking POWDER & SODA,
    & Salt. Mix well and set aside. In medium bowl, combine
    Sugar & Eggs; beat well. Add Oil, vanilla & Banana; beat
    until combined. Stir in Zucchini and add FLOUR Mixture.
    Stir until just moistened. Stir in Nuts & Chocolate Pour
    into pans & bake 55-60 min. Cool in Pans for 10 min. Then
    finish on racks.

    After a post from the Ranger (a.c.c.) we're thinking
    about doing an Apple Bread - ideas are to: + apples, -
    zucch., - chocolate & cocoa, + allspice &/or cloves, and
    + cream cheese.

    U.Q. Prune Bread (w/my edited version of Tropical Cake)

    12 chopped prunes ( or 3/4 c chopped Dates) 3 oz oatmeal
    flour 4 TBS flour 1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda 4 TBS fake brown sugar ( or 1/4 c
    Brown Sugar) 1 1/3 c non-fat milk powder 1 1/3 c water 4
    tsp cinnamon
    2/2 tsp Black walnut extract
    (3/4 c Coconut)

    Chop prunes in the water. Mix together. Bake in a sprayed
    pan @ 350 for about 15 minutes.

    1 milk / 1 fruit / 1 bread / 3 extras- original recipe

    Carrot Cake

    2 cups flour 2 cups sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking
    soda 1 tsp salt 1 tsp cinnamon 3 cups finely shredded
    carrots 1 cup oil 4 eggs Cream Cheese Frosting

    Combine all ingredients in order given, using wooden spoon.
    Bake in greased and floured 9x13-inch pan at 325 F for 50-60
    minutes (for two 9" layers, bake for 40 minutes) or until
    cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a rack(s)
    and then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

    Cream Cheese Frosting

    3 oz cream cheese
    4/4 cup butter 1 tsp vanilla

    Chopped nuts to sprinkle over top of cake

    Mix together and frost over cooled cake.

    Upper Peninsula Pasties

    2 c Crisco 2 c boiling Water

    Melt shortening in water. Stir until mostly melted.

    Add 5 1/2 - 6 c Flour 2 tsp Salt

    Mix to form a very soft dough. Cover and chill until rest of
    recipe is accomplished.
    NOTE: You will need to make 2 batches of this unless you
    make
    1/2 of the filling.

    FILLING:

    12 large Potatoes (about 6 #) 4 med Rutabagas (or 1 large),
    grated 2 med Onions 2 # ground Beef 2 # ground Pork (best if
    NOT sausage) 1 TBSP Salt 2 tsp Pepper 2 tsp Garlic Powder
    Grated Carrots
    2/4 c Butter

    Mix w/ hands to blend. Divide the dough into 12 -15 pieces.
    Roll out each piece into a circle. Place 1 1/2 -2 c of
    filling on half of circle and a pat of butter. Fold dough
    over and seal edges. Place on cookie sheet. Cut slits in
    top to allow steam to escape. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or
    until brown.

    Manly Man Quiche

    1 cup roughly diced ham 1 cup chopped onion
    3/2 cup diced mushroom 1 grated zucchini, skin on.
    Squeeze out liquid in paper towels, or use another
    favorite vegetable

    1 unbaked 9-10 inch pastry shell (I pre-bake shell about
    5min.) 3 cups shredded white cheddar, jack, Swiss or combo 3
    eggs, slightly beaten, I have been known to use 4 1 cup milk
    4/2 tsp salt
    5/8 tsp pepper
    6/4 tsp nutmeg

    Heat the diced ham in large skillet with a bit of butter.

    Add onion, shrooms and zucchini, cook till onion is soft.

    Turn contents of skillet into the pastry shell using at
    least a 9 inch pie plate.

    Sprinkle w/cheese. Pour a mixture of eggs, milk, s&p and
    nutmeg over cheese.

    Bake at 350 30-35 minutes or until very lightly
    browned and set.

    Spinach & Feta Quiche

    1 small white onion, chopped 3 Tbsp. oil 1 pkg. frozen
    chopped spinach 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. dill weed 4-5 oz. Feta
    cheese, crumbled 4 oz. cottage cheese (I used lowfat) 3
    large eggs, beaten 1 c. half and half 1 (9-inch) deep
    dish pie shell

    Thaw spinach and press in collander to drain moisture *very*
    well. Chop onion and saute in the oil about 5 minutes. Add
    spinach and continue cooking, stirring often until all
    liquid is gone. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add remaining
    ingredients. Pour into unbaked pie crust and bake at 375
    degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted into
    center comes out clean.

    Colcannon

    3-4 med. potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters 2 T milk or
    light cream
    7/4 t salt
    8/8 t pepper 2 c chopped cabbage 2 T butter or margarine
    9/4 c chopped onions 2 T butter (for frying) Crumbled Bacon

    Cook potatoes in boiling water till tender; drain,
    reserving water.

    Place in a large bowl. Mash with hand masher till well-
    mashed. (I find the electric mixer makes it too gooey).
    Add milk, salt and pepper and beat till fluffy. In the
    same saucepan as potatoes were cooked in, cook cabbage
    in reserved potato water for 6 to 8 minutes, until
    tender. Drain.

    Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp. butter in frying pan and saute onion
    until tender. Add mashed potato and cooked cabbage to the
    onion. Heat throughly, stirring constantly. Place in a
    heated serving dish. Serve hot, topped with butter.

    Note: Bacon added just before serving is nice, too.

    Fried Green Tomatoes

    4 - 6 firm green tomatoes 2 cups flour 2 cups corn meal 2
    eggs 2 cups milk Salt, Black Pepper and Cayenne Pepper
    vegetable oil for frying

    Heat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan to 350 f. Beat eggs into
    milk. Slice tomatoes 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick. Mix four,
    cornmeal and seasonings together and then dredge tomatoes
    into the dry mixture. Gently tap off excess then dip into
    egg-milk and back into the dry mixture. Fry until edges
    begin to brown slightly and/or both sides are turning
    golden in color.

    Tomato Pie

    Cornmeal Pie Shell* 6-8 med. tomatoes
    1/4 c mayonnaise (Miracle Whip Light!!)
    2/4 c sour cream (or plain yogurt) 1 clove minced garlic
    Salt & Pepper 2 TBSP butter
    3/2 c chopped green onions (top & bottoms)
    4/2 c soft (fresh) bread crumbs
    5/4 c chopped parsley
    6/4 c Parmesan Cheese

    Prepare and partially bake pie shell.

    Slice tomatoes 1/2" thick and layer in pie shell. Combine
    mayo, sour cream & garlic. Spread over tomatoes. Sprinkle
    with salt & pepper.

    Melt butter and saute green onions for a few minutes. Stir
    in bread crumbs, parsley, & cheese. Sprinkle over tomatoes.

    Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Let rest at least 10 minutes
    before cutting and serving.

    *****
    CORNMEAL PIE SHELL

    Combine 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP flour and 2 TBSP yellow
    cornmeal.

    Remove and discard 2 heaping TBSP of the flour/cornmeal mix.

    Add 2 TBSP cold water to mix (more if necessary) and cut-in
    6 TBSP butter.

    Mix all together and roll into a 10" circle. Fit into 9" pie
    pan. Trim/shape pie shell edges.

    Bake at 450 F. for 5 minutes.

    Edited version from a My Great Recipes recipe.

    Invent Your Own Casserole Yield: 6 servings

    ------------CHOOSE ONE SAUCE MAKER-------------- 10 1/2 oz
    cream of mushroom soup 10 1/2 oz cream of celery soup 10 1/2
    oz cream of chicken soup 29 oz Italian style diced tomatoes

    -----------CHOOSE ONE FROZEN VEGETABLE------- 10 oz spinach,
    frozen 10 oz broccoli, frozen 10 oz English peas, frozen 16
    oz yellow squash, frozen 10 oz corn, frozen

    --------------CHOOSE ONE PASTA/RICE-------- 2 c elbow
    macaroni, uncooked 1 c rice, uncooked 4 c egg noodles,
    uncooked 3 c shells, uncooked

    ----------CHOOSE ONE MEAT/FISH/POULTRY-------- 12 oz tuna,
    drained & flaked 2 c chicken, cooked & chopped 2 c ham,
    cooked & chopped 2 c turkey, cooked & chopped 1 lb ground
    beef, brown & drain

    ------------CHOOSE ONE OR MORE EXTRAS----------- 3 oz
    mushrooms, drained
    7/4 c black olives, drained
    8/4 c bell pepper, chopped
    9/4 c onion, minced
    10/2 c celery, chopped 2 garlic cloves 4 1/2 oz green
    chilies, chopped 1 pk taco seasoning mix

    -----------CHOOSE ONE OR TWO TOPPINGS----------
    11/2 c mozzarella, shredded
    12/2 c parmesan, grated
    13/2 c Swiss, shredded
    14/2 c bread crumbs, dry

    Preheat oven to 350F.

    Combine 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, 1
    teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper with Sauce Maker. Omit
    sour cream and milk when using tomatoes.

    Stir in frozen vegetable, pasta/rice, meat/fish/poultry and
    if desired, extras. Spoon into a lightly greased 13 X 9
    baking dish. Sprinkle with toppings.

    Bake casserole, covered for 70 minutes, uncover and bake 10
    minutes more.

    Source: St. Michael's Catholic Church, Gainesville, GA via
    Southern Living, 11/96

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    CPSchwarz said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

    Meatloaf and pureed type cream soups.

    Don't force them! It's not worth it...

    Cassaroles with the veggies minced fine and mixed with the
    ground meat also work well.

    Mom and dad used these on me. ;-)

    Since they did not force them on me, (with a single
    exception) I've since learned to appreciate and love
    fresh steamed veggies on my own as an adult, but still
    detest beets due to one incident where dad DID try to
    force them on me!

    K. (current age, 42)

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    Quoted message said:

    ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

    cgi6.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll
    &include=0&userid=katra

  8. (CPSchwarz) Wrote: I'm trying to locate some recipes or a
    cook book that deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys
    who absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated. Chris
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    --- Tell your kids they have 2 options.
    1.-If they don't eat whats on the plate they won't have one
    bite of food till that plate is clean. I don't care if it
    sits there for days.
    2. Belt

  9. Enlist the help of a neighbors kids who do eat vegies.... I
    made some spinich (sp) pies that the kids wouldn't eat....
    the neighbor told the kids they were great and mine ended up
    eating the pies. How about vegatable samosas?

    Sometimes vegies are better raw, peas come to mind... and
    carrots are nice if they have a little dip on them. Do they
    eat fresh fruit?

    take care Liz

    CPSchwarz said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that deals
    with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who absolutely
    refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the exception of
    potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or knows of a cook
    book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

  10. There was a thread about this in alt.support.attn-deficit.

    One tactic which has been used is that a child must take one
    spoonful (swallowed) of a "yucky" food. He or she doesn't
    need any more.

    And try alternatives. The kid who hates spinach might love
    Swiss Chard. He or she needs good food, not necessarily one
    food in particular.

    E. P.

  11. On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:42:21 -0500, "CPSchwarz" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that deals
    with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who absolutely
    refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the exception of
    potatoes.

    Just keep serving 'regular' veg without comment or urging.
    Keep a list. If peas remain uneaten, the next time you
    have peas, leave a blank area on their plates. They won't
    eat salad? Don't give them any -- just serve yourself.
    Give them normal portions of everything else. Don't
    substitute anything for the veg or serve larger portions.
    Don't craft *your* cooking to fit *their* little fancies.
    Everyone's entitled to despise a few food items, but "I
    won't eat vegetables" isn't a reasonable position. Don't
    make it into a power struggle, which is what most food-
    fights are actually about. Either parents enforcing their
    wills, or kids making parents dance around trying to
    satisfy their whims.

    That being said, many kids like raw, unadorned 'finger food'
    veg -- "baby" carrots, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes --
    that sort of thing, which are fairly easy to keep on hand.

  12. CPSchwarz said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    The blender is your friend. Vegetables can be pureed and
    hidden in soup. Turnips can replace half the potatoes in
    scalloped potatoes.

    For the most part, though, I prefer the opposite approach. I
    was picky like your children and remember the food wars of
    my childhood. When I said I didn't like a food, my parents
    argued logic with me and did a lot of talking about how I
    didn't know I didn't like it until I tried it. All I heard
    was that they wanted me to swallow something unknown and
    yucky. I didn't know where my disgust came from, but it was
    extreme. It put me in a lot of embarrassing situations that
    continued until I was in my 20s. Eating with other people
    was a source of anxiety as others paid all this attention to
    what I was eating when I just wanted them to leave me alone.
    Here's what I wish my parents had done.

    Spend no family grocery money on junk. None. No chips or
    candy or ice cream or sugary breakfast cereals in the house
    at all. Do have flour and sugar so you can make homemade
    baked goods on occasion with the kids. Prepare healthful
    nutritious meals consisting of meats, poultry, fish, grains,
    beans, milk, cheese, vegetables, fruit and juice. Serve a
    variety at each meal. Don't insist that they eat anything
    they're reluctant to eat. If your children eat the lasagne
    and skip the salad, they won't go hungry. If they skip both
    the salad and the lasagne, they can still eat the French
    bread and won't starve. If they get some junk when out or at
    friends' homes, don't worry about it. It isn't like they're
    living on it.

    Take the emotion out of eating. Do insist that your children
    have the good manners to say no thank-you when refusing
    food. Then forget that they've refused it and offer the same
    food again at some later date when you feel like serving it.
    If they ask, explain that it is normal for people's tastes
    to change as they grow older. They don't play with the same
    toys or like the same books as they did a few years ago.
    Some tastes change; some tastes stay the same. It is the
    same with food. Some foods they'll always like. Some foods
    they might not like now and want to try later. If you set it
    up like a battle, you force them to make a big scene and
    complain and make gagging noises. How can they be expected
    to change their minds after all that? You don't leave them a
    graceful way out.

    Don't turn being picky into your children's identifying
    characteristic. Pay it as little attention as possible. I
    knew a man who introduced his middle daughter as the one who
    won't eat fruits or vegetables. He thought it was amusing
    and thought he was being kind because he didn't force her. I
    looked at it from her point of view and thought: This is the
    one thing that sets her apart from her older and younger
    sisters. How's she ever going to change when she has nothing
    else? She's not the artistic one or the one who's good at
    math or the one with the sense of humor. No, she's the one
    who doesn't eat. When you're 10, distinguishing
    characteristics are important. This isn't conscious, but it
    is defining nonetheless.

    As for actual cooking (that was your original question way
    back when), I recommend NOT hiding the vegetables but make
    them as plain as possible. I know that I wouldn't want to
    try some mystery food but might be willing to try something
    if I knew exactly what it was. Being cautious and making
    decisions based on information is actually a good policy in
    life. You should applaud it in your children. (Imagine a
    drug dealer explaining that he won't tell your children what
    something is but he wants them to try it anyway. Wouldn't
    you want them to get all the information they could before
    taking the plunge? The same is true for

    relationship. Be cautious; get information; THEN try
    something new.)

    Serve vegetables relatively plain. Involve the kids in
    learning to cook. If they're willing to eat something only
    if it has ketchup or salad dressing on it, put the ketchup
    or salad dressing on the table. Give each child one night a
    week when they're in charge of choosing the menu and
    learning to prepare it. Explain that they must cook a
    balanced meal even if they don't choose to eat it. One child
    might choose burgers, baked potaotes and carrot sticks. Take
    the kid to the grocery store and show him how to look at the
    label on the package of hamburger, figure out how much is
    needed for the family and so on. That night the child
    prepares dinner with you, sets the table and helps clean up.
    All this is age appropriate so a younger child might only
    have to watch, and an older child might be serving the whole
    dinner. Make food preparation, clean-up, and choice of what
    to eat go together in a package (just like real life).

    If you do find a vegetable that the kids like or object to
    less strenuously than others (carrot sticks, corn on the
    cob, cole slaw), serve it fairly often. It won't hurt any
    of you to eat corn on the cob 3 times a week (when it is
    so inexpensive and in season). If there's something you
    like, let it show up fairly often too. All this will serve
    to demystify vegetables. When they're familiar, they won't
    be so scary.

    And now, a question: What are the vegetables that you and
    your spouse love to eat and eat all the time that your
    children won't touch? Would you list them? How do you
    prepare them? I used to work with in health food. People
    were always asking me about how to get the kids to eat
    vegetables, and I'd always ask what the adults like to
    eat. Your answer to that question will help me learn what
    to suggest.

    --Lia

  13. On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:42:21 -0500, "CPSchwarz" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that deals
    with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who absolutely
    refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the exception of
    potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or knows of a cook
    book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

    Chris:

    With all of my kids we have had a negotiation process. They
    decided which vegetables that they would willingly eat by
    helping us select and cook them. Once we had each child (we
    have 7) pick a vegetable then they were the spokesperson for
    that vegetable and convinced the others to try it.

    No hiding or disguising, just cooperative effort.

    We had to try different preparation methods, glazing carrots
    for example, but it has worked successfully. We also
    stressed how important a balanced diet is to healthy
    nutrition.

  14. CPSchwarz said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    I answered earlier, have now read the other answers in the
    thread and now realize how far afield I've gotten from your
    question. Let me ask you, the original poster, some
    questions that can help me answer yours.

    First, I know of no cookbook that fits the description of
    the one you're looking for. I know plenty of cookbooks for
    cooking vegetables, but none on hiding them so they're
    invisible or can't be tasted.

    What are the vegetables that the adults in your family like
    to eat and look forward to eating and prepare all the time
    that the boys won't eat? How are those vegetables prepared?

    For example, do you like broccoli? Do you prepare it at home
    and serve it often? How do you make it? Raw? Raw with sour
    cream dip as a crudite? Steamed plain? Steamed with butter?
    Boiled? Pureed and put in broccoli and cheddar soup?
    Broccoli quiche? Battered and fried as in tempura with
    ginger dipping sauce? Broccoli slaw? I could ask a similar
    question with each vegetable, but start with broccoli as
    that's one vegetable that most adults consider normal and
    one that many children take one look at and think GREEN
    (while they shudder).

    --Lia

  15. CPSchwarz said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

    Don't hide them. Do stuff like stir frozen peas in at the
    last minute when you make any main dish that has a cream
    sauce in it.

    If they don't like onions and you need onions as a seasoning
    when you cook, mince them very fine so they dissolve in the
    food. The same goes for tomatoes. A lot of kids don't like
    the *texture* of onions or tomatoes.

    Bob

  16. CPSchwarz said:


    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

    I'd advise you not to hide them, but to make them more
    palatable. Take any zucchini bread recipe with nuts, maybe
    raisins, add applesauce for 1/2 the fat called for, and make
    it into muffins with a cinnamon streusel topping.

    Pumpkin-nut muffins with pineapple and maybe shelled
    sunflower seeds.

    Gazpacho with spicy croutons

    Sliced zucchini bread with low-fat cream cheese for
    breakfast

    Serve baby carrots, chunks of red and green pepper, tiny
    broccoli or cauliflower florets with ranch dressing for
    dipping or a low fat sour cream-salsa mix or whatever other
    flavor appeals to them. (Spinach dip?)

    Make BLTs. You can't call them that unless they have lettuce
    and tomato!

    Open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches topped with a thick
    slice of ripe tomato.

    Cherry tomatoes hollowed out and filled with herb
    cream cheese.

    A lot of the cocktail foods grownups eat are veg based. Try
    some of those.

    gloria p

  17. "CPSchwarz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

    Don't sweat it. Kids grow up strong and healthy on the most
    amazing sounding diets.

    As a kid I loathed any vegetable except raw carrots and
    celery, and corn. No amount of scolding or pleading was
    going to make me eat them. At the Thanksgiving table once,
    my Nazi-like aunt made a scene and INSISTED I eat some peas.
    I told her I'd throw up if I had to swallow those nasty
    little green pellets, but she wouldn't let up. I calmly took
    one pea, chewed it up, gagged it down, and immediately threw
    up all over the turkey. That was the last time anyone ever
    tried to force me to eat anything I didn't like.

    Incidentally, I now love all vegetables 🙂

    -Scott

  18. CPSchwarz said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    not really the answer you were looking for...but...

    My folks had the policy that you were to eat a wide array of
    items...even those we didn't necessarily like. Should we
    refuse to eat something, the next meal would have had
    several items made with "item X" and no refugia foods like
    those they knew we liked. We had the option of not
    eating...and we used it...once...maybe twice. We got hip to
    the fact that being hungry wasn't cool and developed very
    wide food tastes. They also made sure when we traveled (in
    the US or abroad), that we ate stuff known from that area.
    About the only think I wouldn't consider eating now is
    beets. My brother eats them...but then, I think they dropped
    him on his head when he was young. <grin>

    But I wouldn't hide anything in foods...rather just make
    them available...even at the exclusion of meat and potatoes.
    It basically cuts out any refuge for not eating them. Just
    don't tell them that is the plan.

  19. CPSchwarz said:


    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions or
    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

    Spagetti. Puree steamed zucc and carrot and onion, brown it
    lightly in olive oil, add a good marinara. Over their
    favourite shape pasta. Potato and corn chowder. Corn is
    sweet. Are you sure they aren't just having a ball yanking
    your chain. blacksalt who got yanked today. Asking baby if
    he needed the potty he rushed over to to it eagerly, and as
    soon as I squatted down in front and pointed his
    dinglewingle south, he let out that painful screech he uses
    to get a reaction....right in my perfectly placed ear,
    giggled, and bolted off the potty.

  20. With food above all else I hate it when something is hidden.
    I will try anything as long as I know what it is, if it
    looks kinda funky and the cooks line is "oh just try it,
    you'll love it" the radar goes off I immediately assume that
    it contains something "gross" like canned cream of celery
    soup and I won't try it. Why the need for the mystery? I
    know of no cookbooks on how to hide vegetables.

    My DD is almost ten and will eat or at least try nearly
    anything. I have never catered to her tastes, never made one
    meal for the children and one for the adults. She can try
    whatever she wants and if she doesn't like it she doesn't
    have to eat it. When she was younger there were stages when
    she wouldn't eat certain things, I really didn't worry too
    much about it and didn't make a big deal it passed. She
    doesn't like white mushrooms, turnips, or parsnips but has
    tried them all at least twice by her own decision. At an
    anti veggie time raw veggies with dip were fine as was corn
    on the cob.

    Children's thoughts on food are inspired by a number of
    things, parents, other children, pop culture and marketing,
    kids used ketchup before it came in colors other than red
    The picture book Yoko by Rosemary Wells made my DD decide
    that she wanted to try sushi...a bit timid at first she
    prefered maki that contained either veggies or cooked fish,
    although she did try at least one raw piece on her first
    two sushi bar trips, by trip three she was happily dining
    on sashimi.

    I know parents who's children will not eat any veggies at
    home or at school but will eat veggies here. The parent's
    don't understand. Frankly I wouldn't eat the veggies they
    serve either. I've had no trouble getting kids to eat fresh
    spinach but put canned spinach in front of them and they
    won't touch it, with good reason IMO. Those also tend to be
    the same parents that never have the problem of there being
    nothing ready to eat at any given moment because there are
    only *ingredients* in the kitchen.

    20 some years later I still recall the one meal I was
    "forced" to eat. These horrid meatballs wrapped with bacon
    from some Avon cookbook. If my mom made them for dinner now
    I still wouldn't touch them. They might even be good but the
    memory would stop me from touching them. I feel the same way
    about milk...I never liked it, I sat at the table until I
    drank it or went to bed many a night. I cannot recall the
    last time I had milk that wasn't on a frappe, or on cereal.

    Jessica

    "CPSchwarz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm trying to locate some recipes or a cook book that
    deals with hiding vegetables. I have two boys who
    absolutely refuse to eat any type of vegetable with the
    exception of potatoes. If anyone has any suggestions


    or

    Quoted message said:

    knows of a cook book it would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.