High 5 Sports Drink

Old Monty

Oct 14, 2003
I've recently been using High 5 in place of accelerade, and I've noticed a profound difference in terms of performance, and expecially taste. I've read that it is used by CSC. Unfortunently, at $10 a gallon, it is rather expensive, and to my knowledge, only one store in the U.S carries it. Has anyone had experience with High 5, and knows of a comparable sports drink for a cheaper price?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Originally posted by Old Monty
I've recently been using High 5 in place of accelerade, and I've noticed a profound difference in terms of performance, and expecially taste. I've read that it is used by CSC. Unfortunently, at $10 a gallon, it is rather expensive, and to my knowledge, only one store in the U.S carries it. Has anyone had experience with High 5, and knows of a comparable sports drink for a cheaper price?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Hi Mark,

At RST we sell through an affiliate scheme H5 products, SiS, Torq and Maxim (these you may not have tried yet).

Prices are generally per kg or sachet/gel/bar etc, rather than gallon.

you can see the products here http://www.cyclecoach.com/?pageID=products#fuelcycling

if you've got any queries on the products or want to know shipping charges please let me know,

cheers
ric

Maybe the royal Marines tought me somthing after all

Hi 5 sports drinks:

Glucose (there are 3 different amounts i just pour it on in) depending on how hard i think i'm gonna be training that day.

salt small amout replaces lost electralites, not to much now!
water 100ml or so
maybe a diluted fruit juice or squash for taste

maybe have it look warm since this helps slow down gastric emptying, since large amounts of sugars are delt with by removal.

works for me and just as affective as high5.

closesupport said:
Maybe the royal Marines tought me somthing after all

Hi 5 sports drinks:

Glucose (there are 3 different amounts i just pour it on in) depending on how hard i think i'm gonna be training that day.

salt small amout replaces lost electralites, not to much now!
water 100ml or so
maybe a diluted fruit juice or squash for taste

maybe have it look warm since this helps slow down gastric emptying, since large amounts of sugars are delt with by removal.

works for me and just as affective as high5.

The Royal Marines isn't bike racing/training. Fitness of marines is below well trained cyclists. Electrolytes need to be quite large -- although it depends what you mean by "not too much".

you need to drink more than 100 mL, typically, 500 - 1000 mL/hr.

You need gastric emptying to be as quick as possible, and during exercise insulin response is blunted.

ric

http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/19/d000000020000005b.cfm?pid=96&CFID=598862&CFTOKEN=95280107

A large glass of water: The stomach becomes distended, but there are no solids to grind and liquefy, and after the water reaches the small intestine, no further processing is required before absorption - the rate of gastric emptying should be very fast.
For liquids, the principal determinant of rate of gastric emptying is volume and, secondarily, composition. If the liquid is low in nutrients (e.g. Evian bottled water), there is an exponential relationship between volume and rate of emptying - large volumes empty at an exponentially faster rate than small volumes.

However, if the fluid is hypertonic or acidic or rich in nutrients such as fat or certain amino acids, the rate of gastric emptying will be considerably slower and non-exponential. Indeed, the rate of gastric emptying of any meal can be predicted rather accurately by knowing its nutrient density. Nutrient density is sensed predominantly in the small intestine by osmoreceptors and chemoreceptors, and relayed to the stomach as inhibitory neural and hormonal messages that delay emptying by altering the patterns of gastric motility. The presence of fat in the small intestine is the most potent inhibitor of gastric emptying, resulting in relaxation of the proximal stomach and diminished contractions of the distal, "gastric grinder" - when the fat has been absorbed, the inhibitory stimulus is removed and productive gastric motility resumes.

Signs and symptoms of gastroparesis are
  • heartburn
  • nausea
  • vomiting of undigested food
  • an early feeling of fullness when eating
  • weight loss
  • abdominal bloating
  • erratic blood glucose levels
  • lack of appetite
  • gastroesophageal reflux
  • spasms of the stomach wall
These symptoms may be mild or severe, depending on the person.

plus it was mean't to be 1000ml of water, typo's happen plus the salt aids the absorbtion of the fluid since it ain't dumped immediately into the smaller intestines allowing it to be absorbed.

slowing down the emptying process gives the body more time to absorb the fluids taken on board.

closesupport said:
http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/19/d000000020000005b.cfm?pid=96&CFID=598862&CFTOKEN=95280107

A large glass of water: The stomach becomes distended, but there are no solids to grind and liquefy, and after the water reaches the small intestine, no further processing is required before absorption - the rate of gastric emptying should be very fast.
For liquids, the principal determinant of rate of gastric emptying is volume and, secondarily, composition. If the liquid is low in nutrients (e.g. Evian bottled water), there is an exponential relationship between volume and rate of emptying - large volumes empty at an exponentially faster rate than small volumes.

However, if the fluid is hypertonic or acidic or rich in nutrients such as fat or certain amino acids, the rate of gastric emptying will be considerably slower and non-exponential. Indeed, the rate of gastric emptying of any meal can be predicted rather accurately by knowing its nutrient density. Nutrient density is sensed predominantly in the small intestine by osmoreceptors and chemoreceptors, and relayed to the stomach as inhibitory neural and hormonal messages that delay emptying by altering the patterns of gastric motility. The presence of fat in the small intestine is the most potent inhibitor of gastric emptying, resulting in relaxation of the proximal stomach and diminished contractions of the distal, "gastric grinder" - when the fat has been absorbed, the inhibitory stimulus is removed and productive gastric motility resumes.

Signs and symptoms of gastroparesis are
  • heartburn
  • nausea
  • vomiting of undigested food
  • an early feeling of fullness when eating
  • weight loss
  • abdominal bloating
  • erratic blood glucose levels
  • lack of appetite
  • gastroesophageal reflux
  • spasms of the stomach wall
These symptoms may be mild or severe, depending on the person.

plus it was mean't to be 1000ml of water, typo's happen plus the salt aids the absorbtion of the fluid since it ain't dumped immediately into the smaller intestines allowing it to be absorbed.

slowing down the emptying process gives the body more time to absorb the fluids taken on board.

i've no idea what you're trying to 'prove', but if you check the GSSI site you'll find loads of research on carb-electrolyte sports drinks such as High 5, which confirm my position.

ric

closesupport said:

Slowing down the emptying process means it takes more time to absorb the fluids. This would be a disadvantage to an athlete attempting to stay hydrated. Actually, I'm not sure why anyone at all would want to slow down the absorption of the fluids they were drinking - if you don't want it absorbed, why drink it??