Highway Code ignorance is cause of motorists' agression - from CTC web site

Paul kisses claiming to be <[email protected]> wrote:
> Geraint Jones deftly scribbled:
> > Mind you, I did used to get confused about what a white circle with a black diagonal bar meant,
> > but that was in the nineteen-seventies when the Transport of Department kept changing what it
> > meant.
>
> Didn't everyone ? It seems that they were the only ones who knew what it was for, they just
> didn't tell enough people about it.

There used to be periodic adverts in the newspapers, but like National Savings interest rates, you
never knew whether you might have missed another announcement.

Geraint Jones wrote:

> Mind you, I did used to get confused about what a white circle with a black diagonal bar
> meant, but that was in the nineteen-seventies when the Transport of Department kept changing
> what it meant.

Luckily we all now know the True Meaning of this sign - "All regulations suspended from
this point on"

--
Guy
===

Geraint Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
>Mind you, I did used to get confused about what a white circle with a black diagonal bar meant, but
>that was in the nineteen-seventies when the Transport of Department kept changing what it meant.

If it is a bar sinister it means "beware bastards in motor cars".

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:30:53 -0000, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> Geraint Jones wrote:
>
>> Mind you, I did used to get confused about what a white circle with a black diagonal bar
>> meant, but that was in the nineteen-seventies when the Transport of Department kept changing
>> what it meant.
>
> Luckily we all now know the True Meaning of this sign - "All regulations suspended from this
> point on"

No. That is the round white sign with a two digit numeral in the middle. (The numeral is to break
the monotony so that drivers don't get bored and stop seeing them)

Tim.

David Damerell deftly scribbled:

> Geraint Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Mind you, I did used to get confused about what a white circle with a black diagonal bar
>> meant, but that was in the nineteen-seventies when the Transport of Department kept changing
>> what it meant.
>
> If it is a bar sinister it means "beware bastards in motor cars".

I thought a bar sinister was to stop left hand drive cars ...

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1413 wu in 10232 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ http://graffiti.virgin.net/ar.sole/Index.htm

Tim Woodall wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:30:53 -0000, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Geraint Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Mind you, I did used to get confused about what a white circle with a black diagonal bar meant,
>>> but that was in the nineteen-seventies when the Transport of Department kept changing what it
>>> meant.
>>
>> Luckily we all now know the True Meaning of this sign - "All regulations suspended from this
>> point on"
>>
> No. That is the round white sign with a two digit numeral in the
> middle. (The numeral is to break the monotony so that drivers don't get bored and stop seeing
> them)

On investigation I see that we are both wrong - the sign for "all regulations suspended" is
either of the above *or* the application of white or yellow paint in the middle or at the sides
of the road.

--
Guy
===

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote :

> I have been led to believe adjustments to the cranium with a Louisville Slugger can prove
> successful at achieving these aims. If a Slugger is not readily to hand 531/7005 etc tubing can
> achieve similar results.

May I suggest that the scum are unworthy of being beaten with a real Louisville Slugger. A mere Ugly
Stick will suffice.

As to what to do with the Louisville Slugger now that we've resorted to UglySticks? Well, you can
post it along to me. I need a good wooden baseball bat; nothing quite as satisfying as driving one
deep over the left field wall...well, maybe zooming by the cagers in central london as they fume and
stress is almost as good.

-Luigi so it's root, root, root for the home team, if they don't win, it's a shame... 'cause it's
one, two, three strikes--you're out!-- at the old ballgame...

David Damerell <[email protected]> writes:
> Geraint Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Mind you, I did used to get confused about what a white circle with a black diagonal bar
> >meant, but that was in the nineteen-seventies when the Transport of Department kept changing
> >what it meant.
>
> If it is a bar sinister it means "beware bastards in motor cars".

A bar is horizontal. Bends can be sinister or dexter (and the bend sinister doesn't necessarily
indicate bastardy). http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign039.shtml
http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/B0184700.html
http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~saitou/cgi-bin/more.cgi?input=Bend%20sinister

"beware bastards in motor cars" is signalled by not putting up a "no motor vehicles" sign. (Though
the latter actually means "no motor vehicles except bastards who think it doesn't mean them".)