Hill Climbing Question.

jordon198

Jul 29, 2003
I ride a circut that includes an area with a fairly steep hill, I usually make several laps around this area to work on climbing hills, My question is this: Is it better to ride the direction that takes my up the hill in a shorter distance with a steeper hill, or the other way around, riding a less steep hill for a longer distance. I'm just riding for fitness and fun, on my first road bike, a TREK 1000.

Thanks

Steve
Augusta, Ga

Steve:

Why not do both??? It gets boring riding the same routes all the time, and variety is the spice of life.

I love Agusta and was stationed at Ft. Gordon for a while, so I am familiar with the terrain.

Ride the hills any way you want. It's better for you physically and mentally to mix up the route when you feel like it.

Good luck!!!

Steve,

I, too, am in Augusta! Outspokin' hosts rides on a regular basis. I just rode with them for the first time for one of their Saturday rides - mostly beginner to intermediate folks. (I'm just starting out, too.) We did about 34 miles at a pretty easy pace, and there was a very good mix of hills - a couple of steep hills for a short distance and several long ones that weren't so steep.

---kparrish

P.S.: Yes, if you can get on post there are some SERIOUS hills back on Range Road! A really great mix of 'em and the nice thing is cars are RARE back in that area.

kparrish,

I purchased my bike at Outspokin, and I plan on going with them on the ride probably next Saturday. I just wanted to ride a while to make sure that I would be able to keep up, and not embarrass myself. I've been mainly riding the west side, Montclair-Pleasant Home rd area.

As to ft. Gordon, what route do you take? I don't go on post too much so if you could suggest a loop through there I'd appreciate it.

Steve
Augusta

I was a little nervous about Saturday's ride myself - the mileage was a personal best for me. But there are a lot of people in the group that stay in the back and make sure us newbies are still in it for the long haul! Brett stays close to the back, too, and checks on you during the trip. We make a few short pit stops for water refills and bathroom breaks. It's an awesome ride.

As far as Ft. Gordon goes, I don't really have any set route I take - I just go. Warning: the hills behind the commissary/PX/housing area are STEEP. We RUN those from time to time and they are killer....