Hippy: getting from Croydon to BBN Velo

warrwych

New Member
Jun 7, 2004
1,009
Hey HipStar,

you live Croydon way?????? What route do you take to get to BBN Velo Sat mornings and more importantly, what is the traffic like (ie how *safe* - remember I am a country gal!!). I will be in Croydon o/night so figured I'd ride to the velo on Sat for training.... thanks mate!! :cool:

"warrwych" <[email protected]
> Hey HipStar,
> you live Croydon way??????

The bat cave is around this area.. ;-)

> What route do you take to get to BBN Velo

Mt. Dandenong Rd -> (left) Maroondah Hwy ->
(left) Springvale Rd. -> (right) Burwood Hwy

> Sat mornings and more importantly, what is the traffic like (ie how
> *safe* - remember I am a country gal!!). I will be in Croydon o/night
> so figured I'd ride to the velo on Sat for training.... thanks mate!!

Mucho apologetico for the totally useless late reply. I was away
and busy so didn't get to check email or newsgroups. <hangs head
in shame>.

Springvale Rd. is statistically the most dangerous road in Melbourne,
so on that basis, I can't suggest it. I don't have any problems with it
though so maybe it's only bad for cars?
Safer, but longer would be going down Scoresby Rd -> (right)
Mountain Hwy -> (veer) onto Burwood Hwy and ride all the way
down. Not worth it I reckon.

What unfortunate circumstance forced your Croydon visitation?

hippy
- bummed he missed his duties as tour guide ;-)

hippy said:
Springvale Rd. is statistically the most dangerous road in Melbourne...

i think that's 'only' the Maroondah intersection tho (righthand-turning)

isnt it?

hippy said:
"warrwych" <[email protected]
> Hey HipStar,
> you live Croydon way??????

The bat cave is around this area.. ;-)

> What route do you take to get to BBN Velo

Mt. Dandenong Rd -> (left) Maroondah Hwy ->
(left) Springvale Rd. -> (right) Burwood Hwy

> Sat mornings and more importantly, what is the traffic like (ie how
> *safe* - remember I am a country gal!!). I will be in Croydon o/night
> so figured I'd ride to the velo on Sat for training.... thanks mate!!

Mucho apologetico for the totally useless late reply. I was away
and busy so didn't get to check email or newsgroups. <hangs head
in shame>.

Springvale Rd. is statistically the most dangerous road in Melbourne,
so on that basis, I can't suggest it. I don't have any problems with it
though so maybe it's only bad for cars?
Safer, but longer would be going down Scoresby Rd -> (right)
Mountain Hwy -> (veer) onto Burwood Hwy and ride all the way
down. Not worth it I reckon.

What unfortunate circumstance forced your Croydon visitation?

hippy
- bummed he missed his duties as tour guide ;-)

thanks for the reply Hipmeister! hehehe as you know, I survived the journey (and even made it home safely later in the arvo back along Maroondah - guess having a big muscly escort to push away the cars helped :p)

Why was I unfortunately visiting Croydon ???? guess you know that one too :p

Wayne came down with us to somewhere along Beach Rd (before that round about after the bridge??) before heading back your way, then the remaining four of us motored up Beach Road (we were even picking up guys - pretty cool to be sitting in a quad getting towed along looking like a speed queen - we sat on 40 km for a lot of the way) and into SthBank for caffeine and carbs, then out to Balwyn Nth where we lost half the team, who headed off in another direction. The body guard and I continued onto Bulleen and then back to unfortunate Croydon. Great ride !!! Nice to have some company for a long ride for a change, and the traffic wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

warrwych said:
Why was I unfortunately visiting Croydon ???? guess you know that one too :p

Wayne came down with us to somewhere along Beach Rd (before that round about after the bridge??) before heading back your way, then the remaining four of us motored up Beach Road (we were even picking up guys - pretty cool to be sitting in a quad getting towed along looking like a speed queen - we sat on 40 km for a lot of the way) and into SthBank for caffeine and carbs, then out to Balwyn Nth where we lost half the team, who headed off in another direction. The body guard and I continued onto Bulleen and then back to unfortunate Croydon. Great ride !!! Nice to have some company for a long ride for a change, and the traffic wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

Croydon AND slumming it in North Boring!!!

Wow. you live on the edge girl!

F"scared to turn up on Saturdy now :rolleyes: "Dutch

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]
> warrwych Wrote:
>> Why was I unfortunately visiting Croydon ???? guess you know that one
>> too :p

Hey! How come I didn't get warrwych's original post?
(warrwych with a double "r", I now note)

> Croydon AND slumming it in North Boring!!!
> Wow. you live on the edge girl!
> F"scared to turn up on Saturdy now :rolleyes: "Dutch

Now you know why we're so 'ARD.. ;-)
LOL! :p

hippy

flyingdutch said:
Croydon AND slumming it in North Boring!!!

Wow. you live on the edge girl!

F"scared to turn up on Saturdy now :rolleyes: "Dutch

yeah - am beginning to push a few envelopes Dutchy (pity I struggle to push the bike at times) hehehe :eek: Just cant quite get used to those suburban wilds.. gimme these rolling country hills any day hehehe

hippy said:
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]
> warrwych Wrote:
>> Why was I unfortunately visiting Croydon ???? guess you know that one
>> too :p

Hey! How come I didn't get warrwych's original post?
(warrwych with a double "r", I now note)

> Croydon AND slumming it in North Boring!!!
> Wow. you live on the edge girl!
> F"scared to turn up on Saturdy now :rolleyes: "Dutch

Now you know why we're so 'ARD.. ;-)
LOL! :p

hippy

which original post Hipstar???? I reckon riding in all that traffic has got to tuffen you up (if you dont get flattened first!!). Gotta admit tho, I was impressed with the traffic on Sat arvo coming home - cars were good on the Maroondah but I still wouldnt like to ride it solo - for visibility etc.

warrwych wrote:
> hippy Wrote:

>>one too :p
>>
>>Hey! How come I didn't get warrwych's original post?
>>(warrwych with a double "r", I now note)

> which original post Hipstar???? I reckon riding in all that traffic has
> got to tuffen you up (if you dont get flattened first!!). Gotta admit
> tho, I was impressed with the traffic on Sat arvo coming home - cars
> were good on the Maroondah but I still wouldnt like to ride it solo -
> for visibility etc.

I have your first post, the thread starter, but I don't have the post
that begins with "Why was I unfortunately visiting Croydon" - I only
have FD's reply to that post where he quotes it.

The last sentence that FD quoted was: "Nice to have some company for a
long ride for a change, and the traffic wasnt as bad as I thought it
would be."

I think this has happened before - it might be cyclingforums or perhaps
my server denied your message? I assume it didn't have attachments or
anything funky like that?

I've been riding those roads for years now and I'm still going.. :)
<touches wood>

hippy

hippy said:
warrwych wrote:
> hippy Wrote:

>>one too :p
>>
>>Hey! How come I didn't get warrwych's original post?
>>(warrwych with a double "r", I now note)

> which original post Hipstar???? I reckon riding in all that traffic has
> got to tuffen you up (if you dont get flattened first!!). Gotta admit
> tho, I was impressed with the traffic on Sat arvo coming home - cars
> were good on the Maroondah but I still wouldnt like to ride it solo -
> for visibility etc.

I have your first post, the thread starter, but I don't have the post
that begins with "Why was I unfortunately visiting Croydon" - I only
have FD's reply to that post where he quotes it.

The last sentence that FD quoted was: "Nice to have some company for a
long ride for a change, and the traffic wasnt as bad as I thought it
would be."

I think this has happened before - it might be cyclingforums or perhaps
my server denied your message? I assume it didn't have attachments or
anything funky like that?

I've been riding those roads for years now and I'm still going.. :)
<touches wood>

hippy

no funky stuff in it so .. BIZARRE!! hehe