Hiroshima justified? (wasRe: Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological achievements

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> RogerM wrote:
>

> > didn't have **** to with Pearl Harbor.
>
> Sure they did. They were part of an imperialist society that had been expanding in the Pacific.
> They were the people who were providing the men
> serve in the Japanese armed forces which had invaded China and other Asian countries where they
> were set loose to terrorize the populace with unimaginable atrocities. The people in those cities
> were busy
manufacturing
> war materials and providing other services that helped the war effort.

So by virtue of being born Japanese, those kids were somehow willing coconspiritors with the
imperialist army? That's some nice twisted logic you got going there, kid.

"Dudhorse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "RogerM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > didn't have **** to with Pearl Harbor.
> >
> > Secondly, your attitude is different from Osama Bin Laden's how, exactly?
> >
> > Maybe some day you American cowboy assholes will grow up and realize there's more to life than
> > having the biggest gun.
> >
> > --
> > ... I once read that a recent French writer said there were two
atrocities
> in WWII: the Nazi deathcamps & Hiroshima - that sounds like typical B.S. from a country that caved
> during the war - the Japanese were going to
defend
> their homeland to the death and MacArthur who was to command the invasion forces said he expected
> a million allied casualties! You need to get the opinion of the allied soldiers & marines who were
> to hit the beaches! Thankfully most them ended up dying of old age and natural causes. What
the
> handwringers and the apologists for Japan should consider is how many
lives
> were saved on both sides by the use of the bomb. - also if the bomb had
not
> been used at the end of WWII then somewhere during the cold war somebody would have gotten stupid
> and used it but as long as the memory of Hiroshima/Nagasaki is around maybe it will keep
> responsible governments
from
> pulling the nuclear trigger.

I've read that Truman was considering dropping a bomb on Tokyo to avoid those losses that MacArthur
predicted. At any rate, it wasn't "the bomb" alone that ended the war.

Typical rhetoric calls people who are appalled at the use of WMD on any city as "apologists" for
imperialism. That's foolish.

"Gene Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "RogerM" <[email protected]> wrote
> >

> The only right thing to do, is to treat Arabs as something other than
****ers, and
> end the energy economy which we have based on depletion of natural resources.

So you think we would be doing the Saudi's a favour by not buying their only product and allow their
economy to collapse and their population to starve !

I think I'd prefer you as an enemy to a friend.

Keith

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:26:36 GMT, RogerM
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Col. RJ" wrote:
>>
>> On 20 Dec 2003 23:32:03 -0800, [email protected] (cave fish) wrote:
>>
>> >First, the Enola Gay exhibit? Nothing wrong with that. A museum's role is put important
>> >artifacts and items on display. You want details, read a book.
>> >
>> >-----
>>

>didn't have **** to with Pearl Harbor.
Takes one to know one. And they weren't murdered, they were killed. Tojo could have surrendered and
they would have been alive. He didn't so eat **** and die apologists scumbag.

>Secondly, your attitude is different from Osama Bin Laden's how, exactly?

If you can't tell the difference between WW2 and Osama's ****, your too stupid to bother with.

Guess you fall below the 65 IQ barrier.

How sad for you since Koko the guerrilla is 85.

>Maybe some day you American cowboy assholes will grow up and realize there's more to life than
>having the biggest gun.

And maybe someday you non-American beggars will have a problem that

up for you.

--

"Conan, what is best in life?''

''To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.''

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:22:54 GMT, "Dudhorse"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"RogerM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>> didn't have **** to with Pearl Harbor.
>>
>> Secondly, your attitude is different from Osama Bin Laden's how, exactly?
>>
>> Maybe some day you American cowboy assholes will grow up and realize there's more to life than
>> having the biggest gun.
>>
>> --
>> ... I once read that a recent French writer said there were two atrocities
>in WWII: the Nazi deathcamps & Hiroshima - that sounds like typical B.S. from a country that caved
>during the war - the Japanese were going to defend their homeland to the death and MacArthur who
>was to command the invasion forces said he expected a million allied casualties! You need to get
>the opinion of the allied soldiers & marines who were to hit the beaches! Thankfully most them
>ended up dying of old age and natural causes. What the handwringers and the apologists for Japan
>should consider is how many lives were saved on both sides by the use of the bomb. - also if the
>bomb had not been used at the end of WWII then somewhere during the cold war somebody would have
>gotten stupid and used it but as long as the memory of Hiroshima/Nagasaki is around maybe it will
>keep responsible governments from pulling the nuclear trigger.

Very good point about the cold war thing. Well said.

--

"Conan, what is best in life?''

''To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.''

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:28:22 -0600, "TetsuwanATOM"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> RogerM wrote:
>>

>> > didn't have **** to with Pearl Harbor.
>>
>> Sure they did. They were part of an imperialist society that had been expanding in the Pacific.
>> They were the people who were providing the men
>> serve in the Japanese armed forces which had invaded China and other Asian countries where they
>> were set loose to terrorize the populace with unimaginable atrocities. The people in those cities
>> were busy
>manufacturing
>> war materials and providing other services that helped the war effort.
>>
>So by virtue of being born Japanese, those kids were somehow willing coconspiritors with the
>imperialist army? That's some nice twisted logic you got going there, kid.

Being as the Tojo regime was actually arming them kids with sharp sticks and instructions to attack
the allies when the invasion started, sure, they are a good target.

--

"Conan, what is best in life?''

''To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.''

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:10:57 -0500, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Yea, they stayed home while their husbands and sons raped China, Korea, and Indo-China.
>
>That part I agree with.
>

>> They'd be raping your mother now if it wasn't for the American leadership in breaking the
>> enemies backs.
>
>American leadership in WW II? That is where we differ. England and its Commonwealth Allies were
>fighting in Europe and in SE Asia long before the US finally got involved.

Because it wasn't our fight til we got attacked. But the USA was shipping tones of war materials to
England and Russia way before the time we actively entered the war.

--

Dudhorse wrote:

> > American leadership in WW II? That is where we differ. England and its Commonwealth Allies were
> > fighting in Europe and in SE Asia long before the
> US
> > finally got involved.
> >

> ... quite true the Brits and the Commonwealth were fighting long before we Americans entered the
> fray and also true you were losing till the U.S. arrived and Herr ****** let Britain off the hook
> by attacking Russia.

Credit where credit is true. Britain had managed to thwart an invasion of their island. The US
had thought that it was a lost cause, but were more interested once they realized that Britain
was not losing.

On 12/21/2003 4:30 PM, in article [email protected], "Dave
Smith" <[email protected]> opined:

> Dudhorse wrote:
>
>>> American leadership in WW II? That is where we differ. England and its Commonwealth Allies were
>>> fighting in Europe and in SE Asia long before the
>> US
>>> finally got involved.
>>>

>> ... quite true the Brits and the Commonwealth were fighting long before we Americans entered the
>> fray and also true you were losing till the U.S. arrived and Herr ****** let Britain off the hook
>> by attacking Russia.
>
> Credit where credit is true. Britain had managed to thwart an invasion of their island. The US
> had thought that it was a lost cause, but were more interested once they realized that Britain
> was not losing.

And you know this how? Oh wise one....................
"New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin." -- Mark Twain, 1884

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dudhorse wrote:
>
> > > American leadership in WW II? That is where we differ. England and its Commonwealth Allies
> > > were fighting in Europe and in SE Asia long before the
> > US
> > > finally got involved.
> > >

> > ... quite true the Brits and the Commonwealth were fighting long before we Americans entered the
> > fray and also true you were losing till the U.S. arrived and Herr ****** let Britain off the
> > hook by attacking Russia.
>
> Credit where credit is true. Britain had managed to thwart an invasion of their island. The US had
> thought that it was a lost cause,

To be more precise, Ambassador Kennedy (and a small number of others) thought that England was
going to lose.

> but were more interested once they realized that Britain was not losing.

America began supporting the Allies before the Battle of Britain, in spite of Kennedy's "advice".

[email protected] (cave fish) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> First, the Enola Gay exhibit? Nothing wrong with that. A museum's role is put important artifacts
> and items on display. You want details, read a book.
>
> -----
>
> My feeling about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Morally unjustifiable but I have the benefit of
> hindsight, Truman didn't.
>
> Yet, why do I think Hiroshima/Nagasaki--or Hirosaki--bombings were unjustified?
>
> 1. One argument says invading Japan would have led to casualties upward of 5 million lives, that
> as horrible as the bombings were, on balance they saved lives by ending the war more quickly.
> The problem with this argument is it's taking estimates as fact.

No, we're taking the estimates as estimates, part of the information available to Truman to make his
decision. That estimate does not inlcude Chinese casualties which were _estimated_ to be about
10,000/day at the time of the bombing. The Japanese had a huge army in Mainland Asia.

> 2. Another issue concerns unconditional surrender as the ONLY option. Did United States really
> need Japan to surrender unconditionally?

No and this may have been an obstacle. If the US had made it clear that the Emperor would be spared,
then Japan might have surrendered earlier.

> Did United States need Japan to surrender at all? If invasion of Japan would have cost over a
> million American casualties or if it entailed the used of nuclear bombs, would it not have been
> more sensible to negotiate a conditional surrender? Or, a cease-fire with a Japan already
> virtually isolated and destroyed?

The US did not need Japan to surrender in August, 1945. Our Chinese allies did. For that matter, so
did the Japanese.

> ... And, what was left of the Japanese navy, it's most prized military asset? What had happened to
> its airforce or airfarce?

Their million man Asian army was still mostly intact.

> If not for revenge, how about to ensure longterm safety in the region by bringing Japan to its
> knees? This is not a bad argument but did it justify nuclear bombs? Also, was Japan really a
> future threat in the region even without surrendering?

I think the Chinese thought so.

> Japan, near the end of the war, had no viable navy or airforce. Its soldiers, streteched from
> Siberia to Southeast Asia were on their last legs. 90% of transport ships carrying supplies were
> routinely sunk by US planes. Japanese soldiers were exhausted and demoralized. They were on the
> defensive and retreat in China where the Nationalists and Communists were regaining major
> territories.

I think you underestimate the japanese Strength in Asia. Thos Chinese victories were being bought at
a ver high price.

> Japanese had been terribly mauled by vastly superior Soviet troops in Manchuria. Japan was a goner
> whether it surrendered or not.

Ending the war befor the Soviet Union captured and annexed more Asian territory was another
consideration. COnsider also the casualties in the Russo-Japanese theater.

> 3. Another argument is simply ends justify the means. Let's assume that invasion by conventional
> means would have led to exceedingly high casualties. Therefore, whatever it took to lower that
> casualty is justified. This sounds morally untenable. While it's true that extraordinary means
> are often taken to achieve certain ends, there are certain rules, even in war. What was the
> Geneva convention about? Why the law forbidding the use of poison gas? Even in war, there has
> to be a modicum of rules, such as not bombing hospitals, etc. And, what does it say about
> American fighting men that they would prefer an entire city be indiscrimately slaughtered so
> they themselves could live?

That they are human. Besides, IMHO a soldier's life is no less precious than a civlians. Soldiers,
unless they willfully engage in criminal acts, are also innocent victims of war. Having the means by
which to defend themselves (even when that is possible) does not make them less innocent.

> ... Indiscrimate massacre of everyone to save soldiers' lives is never justifiable.

Arguable. Life is life.

> ... I would say Churchill's bombing raids against Germany were more justified out of simple
> revenge because of ******'s bombing against British civilians.

Which were initially an accident and never approached the severity of the Allied raids. According to
the estimates that were available when I first researched the matter (c 1973) German civilians
killed in a single day at Cologne exceeded all Brittish casualties during the entire BOB. Oddly
enough. it seems that casualty sestimates have been revised downward over the last 30 years, as much
as by a factor of ten. I do not know the basis.

> 4. The implication of defending Hirosaki bombing is we could and should do it again if a similar
> situation arises.

Indeed. That was the cornerstone of MAD and also NATO's doctrine in Western Europe.

> Suppose a nation attacks US out of the blue, causing military casualties in the 1000s. US wages
> war and breaks the back of that nation but the nation will not unconditionally surrender. Pentagon
> estimates that US casualties will be high so we decide to bomb two civilian targets. If one
> defends Hirosaki, he would have to defend this scenario. I think it's crazy.

No because

1) Conventional weapons are now much more effective

2) We know more about the long-range effects of nuclear weapons.

3) Strategic doctrine has changed. Sparing civilians has become
a priority. In WW II it was an afterthought, at best.

> 5. ... which brings us to the subject of when should use of atomic weapons be justified?

First use, IMHO, only when the user faces anihilation of their civilian population. The Israelis
know that if Israel were to be defeated in a conventional war, most of their civilian population
would be murdered. If faced with such a defeat and they could save their people by using nuclear
weapons against the aggressors then that could be justified.

--

FF

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:57:31 GMT, "tim gueguen" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"cave fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> First, the Enola Gay exhibit? Nothing wrong with that. A museum's role is put important artifacts
>> and items on display. You want details, read a book.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> My feeling about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Morally unjustifiable
>
>There were 3 choices in 1945. One, attempt to force the Japanese to surrender with the nuclear
>threat. Two, launch an eventual amphibious invasion of the Japanese mainland. Or three, blockade
>Japan and wait for conditions to deteriorate sufficiently to make the Japanese surrender. All of
>these choices would have resulted in deaths, both of Japanese civilians and Allied military
>personel, along with civilians in those Asian countries where Japanese forces were still active.
>The latter two were also problematic politically. The populations of the Allied states wanted the
>war ended, some having gone thru more than half a decade of conflict. Even a blockade that caused
>minimal Allied casualties would have been hard to promote politically.
>
>tim gueguen 101867

This also misses the fact that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were no big deal. How can I say this?
Because beyond the fact that they were dropped by one plane, adn they were EEVIL nukes, they did
less damage than was done to Tokyo during perfectly ordinary non-nuclear bombing raids. The
targeting of civilian populations had been pioneered by the Germans and Japanese-- the Allies just
got better at it, and quite honestly what should we have done? Invade? 1/3 of the civilian
population on Okinawa died, many through suicide. If the emperor had died in Tokyo after exhorting
his people to stand and fight the invaders, I doubt much would have been left of Japan...and after
losing tens or hundreds of thousands of GI's, I doubt the U.S. would have been very forgiving.
Blockade? The rightest had food, and they were not willing to surrender-- heck, some of them tried
to keep the emperors broadcast from going out! They might have been overthrown, but how many
millions of Japanese would have been dead in the meantime? Finally, there is the matter that
Truman made his oath to the U.S. and U.S. soldiers--not the japanese. He was presented with a
really big-ass bomb that could do a job while risking few American lives. ERgo, he used it. The
surrender it obtained permitted an occupation in a "realatively" friendly athmosphere, in which
extremely mild occupational restrictoins were all that was needed, which has its own importance.

finally, for those who say it was immoral-- I'm a little unclear on that. Is napalm, cluster
bombs, conventional HE any more moral? If so, how?

"Linda Terrell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<epxRkhlUwRo0-pn2-7PgD6QdS3d3F@dialup-67.31.204.131.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net>...
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:32:03 UTC, [email protected] (cave fish) wrote:
>

> > Yet, why do I think Hiroshima/Nagasaki--or Hirosaki--bombings were unjustified?
> >

> > 2. Another issue concerns unconditional surrender as the ONLY option. Did United States really
> > need Japan to surrender unconditionally? Did United States need Japan to surrender at all? If
> > invasion of Japan would have cost over a million American casualties or if it entailed the
> > used of nuclear bombs, would it not have been more sensible to negotiate a conditional
> > surrender? Or, a cease-fire with a Japan already virtually isolated and destroyed? Why was
> > unconditional surrender so important? Was it revenge? After all, Japan started the war and
> > bombed Pearl Harbor. But, if revenge is the issue, United States avenged itself 10,000 fold
> > prior to Hirosaki bombing. If you look at the casualty ratio among American/Japanese
> > soldiers, it was comparable to cowboys and Indians.
>

> Part of Japan's copnditions was to keep their army in China. You let a defeated enemy keep an army
> to come back at you? To go after others and build itself up?
>
> No.
>
> The PC had us make that mistake in the First Gulf War. Not again.
>
> LT

You make a valid point but Japan's conditions for surrender; however, Americans refused to consider
anything other than unconditional surrender. Some historians argue that Japanese would have agreed
to a conditional surrender as long as Hirohito was free from prosecution. The irony is US refused
that condition, nuked Japan, won the won, and then maintained that Hirohito was utterly blameless
for the war.

Also, the notion that Japanese empire could survive under any condition is ridiculous. Imperial
troops were sinking into the vast Asian continent and even if US didn't press for surrender of any
kind, Japanese empire was finished. They were surrounded by hostile natives, losing ground to Allied
troops, and isolated from the mother country after the American military having virtually destroyed
Japanese air force, navy, and transport ships.

Japan had nothing left to go on. They had no fuel, no raw material, nothing at the end. Even if
America had decided to stop attacking Japan, America could have easily concentrated on Imperial
troops on the Asian mainland and have destroyed them mercilessly which was what was happening in
places like Philippines. The ratio of US/Japanese death was like 1,000 to 30,000.

"tim gueguen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<fHoFb.772647$6C4.489343@pd7tw1no>...
> "cave fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > First, the Enola Gay exhibit? Nothing wrong with that. A museum's role is put important
> > artifacts and items on display. You want details, read a book.
> >
> > -----
> >
> > My feeling about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Morally unjustifiable
>
> There were 3 choices in 1945. One, attempt to force the Japanese to surrender with the nuclear
> threat. Two, launch an eventual amphibious invasion of the Japanese mainland. Or three, blockade
> Japan and wait for conditions to deteriorate sufficiently to make the Japanese surrender. All of
> these choices would have resulted in deaths, both of Japanese civilians and Allied military
> personel, along with civilians in those Asian countries where Japanese forces were still active.
> The latter two were also problematic politically. The populations of the Allied states wanted the
> war ended, some having gone thru more than half a decade of conflict. Even a blockade that caused
> minimal Allied casualties would have been hard to promote politically.
>
> tim gueguen 101867

You are right. However, anyone who justifies the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki based purely on
estimates are on shaky ground. They keep saying how it saved lives. But, how do they know? Estimates
are always flawed. Prior to Nazi attack on France, most German generals were extremely nervous and
thought it would be a long hard war. They were proven wrong. The reason why the Korean War dragged
on for so long was Mao's terrible estimates that overwhelming Chinese force would drive Americans
entirely out of Korea. Hussein attacked Iran in the early 80s thinking Iran was in such a state of
disarray that the war would be a cakewalk. To say for certain that the bombing of Hiroshima and
Nagasaki saved lives is based on estimates which are even less trustworthy than statistics. And, you
know what they say about statistics. Lies, damned lies, statistics. Now, I think we can make a valid
argument that the invasion would have cost great many lives. But, we don't know for sure so to say
that we saved lives is misleading. Also, to say Japanese would have died to the last man in the case
of US invasion based on the evidence of the fanatical fighting spirit among Japanese soldiers on
islands such as Iwo Jima is also misleading. How do we know civilians would have resisted as
doggedly as the soldiers on those islands? When US drove upwards in the Korean War, there was very
little resistance from North Korean civilians. The problem began with the Chinese. When the Nazis
attacked the Soviet Union, there was very little resistance from the Soviet civilian population,
people who had been brainwashed and indoctrinated by the communist government under Stalin. Though
Nazi Germany and Mussolini's Italy had also practiced brainwashing for over a decade, most civilians
didn't take up arms. Estimates are not trustworthy.

The atomic bombs would have been more justified if US had at least attempted to invade Japan. If
US had tried that for a month and failed miserably, perhaps the use of atomic bombs would have
been more justified, based on more reliable estimates based on real experience. But, US didn't
even try to invade Japan. It just wanted to end the war as quickly as possible and took the most
draconian measures.

Also, those who say Japanese lives were saved by the bombings are being facetious because these
people couldn't care less if 5 or 10 million 'Japs' had died.

This doesn't imply that US was on the wrong side of history. It was clearly on the right side, but
its endgame strategy was wrong and such actions should never be repeated again in future wars. Nukes
should be used only as a defensive weapon against overwhelming aggression. Also, those Japanese who
argue that Japanese were simply poor victims of American imperialism are idiots themselves. The
problem with this debate is the Left often opportunistically uses an issue like use of atomic
weapons to blanketly discredit the entire American enterprise in world affairs. We can argue for
sanity without bowing down to these America haters.

> [...]

draconian measures.

Also, those who say Japanese lives were saved by the bombings are being facetious because these
people couldn't care less if 5 or 10 million 'Japs' had died.

This doesn't imply that US was on the wrong side of history. It was clearly on the right side, but
its endgame strategy was wrong and such actions should never be repeated again in future wars. Nukes
should be used only as a defensive weapon against overwhelming aggression. Also, those Japanese who
argue that Japanese were simply poor victims of American imperialism are idiots themselves. The
problem with this debate is the Left often opportunistically uses an issue like use of atomic
weapons to blanketly discredit the entire American enterprise in world affairs. We can argue for
sanity without bowing down to these America haters.

On 21 Dec 2003 22:39:38 -0800, [email protected] (cave fish)
wrote:

>"Linda Terrell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<epxRkhlUwRo0-pn2-7PgD6QdS3d3F@dialup-
>67.31.204.131.Dial1.Tampa1.Level3.net>...
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:32:03 UTC, [email protected] (cave fish) wrote:
>>

>> > Yet, why do I think Hiroshima/Nagasaki--or Hirosaki--bombings were unjustified?
>> >

>> > 2. Another issue concerns unconditional surrender as the ONLY option. Did United States really
>> > need Japan to surrender unconditionally? Did United States need Japan to surrender at all?
>> > If invasion of Japan would have cost over a million American casualties or if it entailed
>> > the used of nuclear bombs, would it not have been more sensible to negotiate a conditional
>> > surrender? Or, a cease-fire with a Japan already virtually isolated and destroyed? Why was
>> > unconditional surrender so important? Was it revenge? After all, Japan started the war and
>> > bombed Pearl Harbor. But, if revenge is the issue, United States avenged itself 10,000 fold
>> > prior to Hirosaki bombing. If you look at the casualty ratio among American/Japanese
>> > soldiers, it was comparable to cowboys and Indians.
>>

>> Part of Japan's copnditions was to keep their army in China. You let a defeated enemy keep an
>> army to come back at you? To go after others and build itself up?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> The PC had us make that mistake in the First Gulf War. Not again.
>>
>> LT
>
>You make a valid point but Japan's conditions for surrender; however, Americans refused to consider
>anything other than unconditional surrender. Some historians argue that Japanese would have agreed
>to a conditional surrender as long as Hirohito was free from prosecution. The irony is US refused
>that condition, nuked Japan, won the won, and then maintained that Hirohito was utterly blameless
>for the war.
>
>Also, the notion that Japanese empire could survive under any condition is ridiculous. Imperial
>troops were sinking into the vast Asian continent and even if US didn't press for surrender of any
>kind, Japanese empire was finished. They were surrounded by hostile natives, losing ground to
>Allied troops, and isolated from the mother country after the American military having virtually
>destroyed Japanese air force, navy, and transport ships.
>
>Japan had nothing left to go on. They had no fuel, no raw material, nothing at the end. Even if
>America had decided to stop attacking Japan, America could have easily concentrated on Imperial
>troops on the Asian mainland and have destroyed them mercilessly which was what was happening in
>places like Philippines. The ratio of US/Japanese death was like 1,000 to 30,000.

But you're also missing the information context-- this was long before "multiculturalism" was a
common word, and long before asian studies departments were fixtures at most universities. Much
of the work on Japan, pre-war by western authorities (the ones who would be consulted), were
well.... inaccuarte. For one thing, this led to a great deal of ambiguity in western minds about
the place of the emperor, arguably theone thing where a change in western stance might have led
to a quick end of the war. But, OTH, to the west, especially people who don't speak japanese, who
don't know japanese cultuer, and have seen them acting as they did in Nanking, or Manilla, saying
you're going to spare the emperor is the first step to "terms" and everyone knew how terms had
played out in WWI. Maybe it wasn't correct, but I would point out that to this day, Japan has
done everything they can to dodge responsibility for a flat out war of aggression and genocide
against China, and that after complete surrender and occuaption. And this makes all of the "of
course they would have surrenderd" arguements suspect to the authorities of the time. Japanese
soldiers had fought to the death in nearly every theatre, they had fought at Okinawa to the point
that nearly 1/3rd of the civilian population had died, and there was no reason to believe that
they'd either surrender or not fight for Japan. Waiting, by all accounts was never even
considered by the allies, and invasion would have been very dangerous-- I have read some
accounts, although I cannot vouch for them or even provide cites (this was back in 1986), the
claimed that Downfall might have also involved the use of chemical weapons, and in any case, a
full scale invasion would have killed quite as many as the bomb.

And more importantly, if Japan was so flat on their back, why didn't they surrender? The
prapartions being made were for an all out attack on the allied forces, and the rightests were
quite open in teir belief that ten million Japanese with bamboo spears and suicide bombs could
throw us back. if the U.S. bears any blame for Hiroshima, what about those officers, who were
quite willing to throw their entire population onto the fire, long after it was plain to anyone
with eyes that the war was over, and lost? If you blame the U.S. for killing Japan, you cannot
then excuse the Japanese Imperial government for sacrificing those self same lives-- we had no
responsiblity to protect Japanese lives, they did.

"cave fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Also, to say Japanese would have died to the last man in the case of US invasion based on the
> evidence of the fanatical fighting spirit among Japanese soldiers on islands such as Iwo Jima is
> also misleading. How do we know civilians would have resisted as doggedly as the soldiers on those
> islands?

Because the Japanese civilians on Tinian , Saipan and Okinawa did so preferring death to surrender.
Then we testimony from the Japanese post war that tells us that they were training women and
children to use bamboo pikes to attack Americans

> When US drove upwards in the Korean War, there was very little resistance from North Korean
> civilians. The problem began with the Chinese.

They werent Japanese.

> When the Nazis attacked the Soviet Union, there was very little resistance from the Soviet
> civilian population, people who had been brainwashed and indoctrinated by the communist government
> under Stalin. Though Nazi Germany and Mussolini's Italy had also practiced brainwashing for over a
> decade, most civilians didn't take up arms. Estimates are not trustworthy.

But experience is, see Okinawa and the Marshalls

> The atomic bombs would have been more justified if US had at least attempted to invade Japan. If
> US had tried that for a month and failed miserably, perhaps the use of atomic bombs would have
> been more justified, based on more reliable estimates based on real experience. But, US didn't
> even try to invade Japan. It just wanted to end the war as quickly as possible and took the most
> draconian measures.

So in your book killing a million people before dropping the bomb would have been moral, thank god
Truman didnt share your view in that case

> Also, those who say Japanese lives were saved by the bombings are being facetious because these
> people couldn't care less if 5 or 10 million 'Japs' had died.

You are incorrect

Keith

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> RogerM wrote:
>

> > didn't have **** to with Pearl Harbor.
>
> Sure they did. They were part of an imperialist society that had been expanding in the Pacific.
> They were the people who were providing the men to serve in the Japanese armed forces which had
> invaded China and other Asian countries where they were set loose to terrorize the populace with
> unimaginable atrocities. The people in those cities were busy manufacturing war materials and
> providing other services that helped the war effort.

You are partly right. No one is completely innocent, which is how Palestinians justify their bombing
of Jewish civilians and how Al Qaeda defends its attack on NY. Since all of us pay taxes that
support US foreign policy, yes we are all guilty. However, in a case of open war between nations,
while it may be justified to bomb key industrial areas supplying the war effort, do tell me how a
newborn baby in a Hiroshima is guilty of anything? Or, kindergarten students? Or, members of the
opposition? Or, those in jail for standing up to Japanese militarism? Or, old folks living out their
last days? The horror of Hiroshima is the sheer indiscrimate nature of the destruction. If atom bomb
had been dropped on a Japanese military target it might have been justified. But, to kill like that
in Hiroshima and Nagasaki was blind and savage overkill.

"Gene Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<lRlFb.2940$6l1.955@okepread03>...

> > > didn't have **** to with Pearl Harbor.
>
> Yea, they stayed home while their husbands and sons raped China, Korea, and Indo-China. They'd be
> raping your mother now if it wasn't for the American leadership in breaking the enemies backs.
>
> Women and children always pay for the sins of their fathers.

Nobody is debating which side was on the right side of history. United States, no doubt. However,
being on the right side of history doesn't give the winning side the right to wage any kind of war.
Would it have been okay to drop a massive chemical or biological weapon on Hiroshima and infected
the entire population with some horrible disease. This is considered too horrific even for use
against soldiers as agreed by the Geneva Convention. In that case, it's all the worse to use a
weapon of such terror(which includes nukes) on civilian populations. Yes, Americans were on the
right side of history. It's a good thing we won. But, complete victory at any cost somehow
undermines even the side on the right side of history.

On 21 Dec 2003 22:22:27 -0800, [email protected] (cave fish)
wrote:

>However, in a case of open war between nations, while it may be justified to bomb key industrial
>areas supplying the war effort, do tell me how a newborn baby in a Hiroshima is guilty of anything?
>Or, kindergarten students? Or, members of the opposition? Or, those in jail for standing up to
>Japanese militarism? Or, old folks living out their last days?

Um, Hiroshima was HQ for several major Japanese Army and Navy units. It was also a location of
numerous factories and transport facilities, which in the normal order of things woudl have been
leveled by the same sort of raid you saw on Tokyo. Also, you might look at Stalingrad to see the
result of a full scale ground battle-- or the starvation that comes attendent a longer blockade.

>The horror of Hiroshima is the sheer indiscrimate nature of the destruction. If atom bomb had been
>dropped on a Japanese military target it might have been justified. But, to kill like that in
>Hiroshima and Nagasaki was blind and savage overkill.
Why? Both cities were legitimate targets with affiliated mlitary and industrial targets. Far more
than say, Nanking after its surrender. If the japanese were treated savagely, they have BEHAVED
savagely. As for the others-- war is nasty and part of it is the fact that innocents get caught
in the middle. But again, all Japan had to do at this point was surrender. The only children and
young women killed during the occupation was from soldiers disobeying the orders of their commanders--
and in several cases, those soldiers were hung by the neck until dead. Finally, as for savage
overkill, Kyoto was on the list-- it was excised due to the fact that it had few industries and
was the cultural heart of Japan. If it was the "blind and savage" overkill, you describe, such a
cultural city would have been a preferred target, not one that was spared.