Road Cycling · Public discussion

"hit him back first"

Started by Sam the Bam · · Last activity · 91 posts · 2,499 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
3 June 2008
Last activity
12 June 2008
Original author
Sam the Bam
Posts
91
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,499
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–91 of 91
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Badger North said:

    1993 was the year UFC 1 was broadcast, and marked for many a
    revolutionary change against the claimed superiority of traditional
    martial arts.

    An earlier such change could be marked from 1970 when kickboxer Joe
    Lewis knocked out karateka Greg Baines in the second round of their
    fight, but it didn't have as big a ripple, and kickboxing in general
    didn't have much staying power in the public eye at the time.

    Badger North
    www.youngforest.ca


    I guess that means don't [censored] my 29 year old daughter who is taller
    than me, size 13 feet, and a kick boxer. She started out doing it as
    aerobics then got hooked. My 'little' girl is no longer little.
    Sigh, parenthood.
    Thanks for the input.
    Bill Baka

  2. Fraser Johnston said:

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That happened to me in 2001, but it was a drunk 22 year old.
    I was 52 at the time and he got out and pushed me off the bike.
    My response was to flat palm him in the forehead and knock him all the way
    across the street without killing him with a harder palm to the nose and up
    into his brain.


    *applause*

    Quoted message said:

    The idiot got up and came back for more, so I just danced with him and
    deflected his shots until the police arrived.
    Three different moms sitting on their porches all called 911 and almost all
    the town cops showed up. I took all kinds of martial arts back in the 60's
    and 70's but all that came to mind at the time was 'kill shots'
    either open hand to the heart or nose, elbow to the throat or elsewhere,
    and I did not feel like going to jail to explain.

    *standing ovation*

    Looks like RMA is back to the heady days of the late 90s. And I for one
    welcome our TMA overlords. If they need anyone to give them a hand setting up
    shop in their McDojos I'd be proud to answer the call.

    Fraser


    Hey.. if it'll get you up here, I can set one up... Beer-fridge
    mandatory, training optional.. :P

  3. Bill said:

    I guess that means don't [censored] my 29 year old daughter who is taller
    than me, size 13 feet, and a kick boxer. She started out doing it as
    aerobics then got hooked. My 'little' girl is no longer little.
    Sigh, parenthood.

    Yeah, they grow up, I'm told.

    My 10-y-o and I were rough-housing the other day, and I got him in a
    standing hold - both arms trapped, head trapped. I said "whaddya
    going to do now, smart guy?" So, he kneed me in the balls - a perfect
    shot.

    Makes a father proud.

    Badger North
    www.youngforest.ca

  4. Bill said:
    Badger North said:

    1993 was the year UFC 1 was broadcast, and marked for many a
    revolutionary change against the claimed superiority of traditional
    martial arts.

    An earlier such change could be marked from 1970 when kickboxer Joe
    Lewis knocked out karateka Greg Baines in the second round of their
    fight, but it didn't have as big a ripple, and kickboxing in general
    didn't have much staying power in the public eye at the time.

    Badger North
    www.youngforest.ca


    I guess that means don't [censored] my 29 year old daughter who is taller
    than me, size 13 feet, and a kick boxer. She started out doing it as
    aerobics then got hooked. My 'little' girl is no longer little.
    Sigh, parenthood.
    Thanks for the input.
    Bill Baka


    My daughter's into arnis, kenjutsu and (various styles of) knife..

    Brings a tear to the eye, it does.

    😄
    P.


  5. Quoted message said:

    The heart hit is all too real. There was a big thing on the news about a
    high school football player dieing after an opponent hit him in the heart.

    Sure; that sort of thing unfortunately happens. But there are two
    things you need to consider. First, the level of impact is far
    greater when you're dealing with the mass of an entire football player
    running at full speed behind a helmet, versus anything you're going to
    generate with a palm strike. Second, players get hit in the chest all
    the time in football; many times per game. Death from it is
    exceedingly rare.

    Your chances of stopping the heart with a palm strike are extremely
    slim, to the point of being basically negligable. It may be possible,
    but it's not something that you (or anybody) is going to pull off on
    demand, and certainly not something that anyone should depend on
    happening.

    Again, people get hit all the time in the chest, be it fighting or
    sports, and very few actually die from it. When it does happen it's a
    freak accident; not something on which to base your personal
    protection.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do you have any idea what kind of impact is required to do something
    like that?  Have you ever watched professional fighting?  People kick
    one another in the legs all the time; it is exceedingly rare to see a
    leg bent, much less broken backwards.  And it's a safe bet these
    professional fighters are kicking a heck of a lot harder than a
    fiftyish bike rider.

    This fiftyish bike rider had more than enough leg muscle from hard
    riding every day. I used to ride up a 950 foot mountain every day and
    you don't do that with weak legs.

    You don't think professional fighters work their legs? These are
    people who train for powerful technique; their livelihood depends on
    it.

  6. Badger North said:
    Bill said:

    I guess that means don't [censored] my 29 year old daughter who is taller
    than me, size 13 feet, and a kick boxer. She started out doing it as
    aerobics then got hooked. My 'little' girl is no longer little.
    Sigh, parenthood.

    Yeah, they grow up, I'm told.

    My 10-y-o and I were rough-housing the other day, and I got him in a
    standing hold - both arms trapped, head trapped. I said "whaddya
    going to do now, smart guy?" So, he kneed me in the balls - a perfect
    shot.

    Makes a father proud.

    good thing you don't need those balls any more.

    Hal

    Quoted message said:


    Badger North
    www.youngforest.ca

  7. Bill said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > At the proper angle, it might bleed a little more and you might cause
    > some additional superficial damage.  In all seriousness, just for the
    > innocents that might be lurking, you will never, ever, no matter what
    > angle you hit it at, drive someones nose into their brain.
    Possibly not with the palm hit, but a well placed hit to the bridge of
    the nose with a body hard point like an elbow, or a classic karate chop
    with a hardened hand should do it. Look at a human skull and it is
    apparent that those 2 nasal holes are a weak point.

    Quoted message said:

    The nose is cartilage.  Even if there was enough of it to reach the
    brain - which there isn't - it will compress instead of driving
    backwards into the brain.  I suppose if you hit hard enough you could
    crack the skull itself, but by that point the nose is pretty much
    irrelevant to the process.

    Quoted message said:

    The "nose into the brain" thing is a myth.

    I thought it might be. That was shown in one of the firestarter movies
    with George C. Scott offing someone with a chop to the nose.

    Because everything else in that movie was sooo believable....

  8. Quoted message said:

    good thing you don't need those balls any more.

    Damn straight, especially if they're just going to generate
    reinforcements for him!

    Badger North
    www.youngforest.ca

  9. "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can you think back about 35 years. I had the Kawasaki 750cc, 3 cylinder, 2
    stroke that would do 160 stock. I added bigger carbs, super flow air filters,
    and Denco headers in addition to a one tooth larger front sprocket for higher
    top speed and a little more gas mileage.
    Stock, the engine would wimp out at about 7,500 RPM.
    After I made the changes it came to life at 7,500 RPM and was still pulling
    super hard at 12,000. It could have gone more but I didn't want anything
    blowing up between my legs. With the CHP chasing me 170 MPH (on the peg) was
    about 7,500 RPM, but the tach kept on climbing to about 9,500-10,000 RPM. My
    nose was on the handlebars since I could not even attempt to sit up at that
    speed. This bike broke the rear wheel loose at 135 MPH on a turn once so it
    had well over 100 HP. People used to drag race them and get low 9 seconds and
    135-140 MPH in the quarter mile.
    The near 200 was a best guess based on the tach since the speedo was pegged
    so hard even a bump would not unseat it. I did 10 miles in about 3.5 minutes,
    but that includes accelerating and braking so I don't have a hard number. The
    bikes did have a bad reputation among racers who said they were greased
    lightning but the center cylinder was prone to overheating.

    200mph on a 1970s Kawasaki.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

    Fraser

  10. "Badger North" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bill said:

    I guess that means don't [censored] my 29 year old daughter who is taller
    than me, size 13 feet, and a kick boxer. She started out doing it as
    aerobics then got hooked. My 'little' girl is no longer little.
    Sigh, parenthood.

    Yeah, they grow up, I'm told.

    My 10-y-o and I were rough-housing the other day, and I got him in a
    standing hold - both arms trapped, head trapped. I said "whaddya
    going to do now, smart guy?" So, he kneed me in the balls - a perfect
    shot.

    Makes a father proud.

    Did he knock them outta the jar on the mantlepiece your wife keeps them in? ; )

    Fraser

  11. "Pboud" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:bkR3k.833$L03.518@edtnps92...

    Quoted message said:
    Fraser Johnston said:

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That happened to me in 2001, but it was a drunk 22 year old.
    I was 52 at the time and he got out and pushed me off the bike.
    My response was to flat palm him in the forehead and knock him all the way
    across the street without killing him with a harder palm to the nose and up
    into his brain.


    *applause*

    Quoted message said:

    The idiot got up and came back for more, so I just danced with him and
    deflected his shots until the police arrived.
    Three different moms sitting on their porches all called 911 and almost all
    the town cops showed up. I took all kinds of martial arts back in the 60's
    and 70's but all that came to mind at the time was 'kill shots'
    either open hand to the heart or nose, elbow to the throat or elsewhere,
    and I did not feel like going to jail to explain.

    *standing ovation*

    Looks like RMA is back to the heady days of the late 90s. And I for one
    welcome our TMA overlords. If they need anyone to give them a hand setting
    up shop in their McDojos I'd be proud to answer the call.

    Fraser


    Hey.. if it'll get you up here, I can set one up... Beer-fridge mandatory,
    training optional.. :P

    SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Fraser

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.