Hominy

Louis Cohen

Guest
We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole kernels
in pozole or ground into grits, is corn from which the hull
and germ have been removed, either mechanically, or
chemically (typically with lye). But why?

Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or whole
corn kernels?

----------------
----
Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
42.8"

"Louis Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole
> kernels in pozole or ground into grits, is corn from which
> the hull and germ have been removed, either mechanically,
> or chemically (typically with lye). But why?

I'd say it's for the flavor and texture. Check this out:

http://www.zarela.com/new_recipes/nixtamal.html

> Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or
> whole corn
kernels?

AFAIK, those are simply ground dried corn.

Jack Corny

"Louis Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole
> kernels in pozole or ground into grits, is corn from which
> the hull and germ have been removed, either mechanically,
> or chemically (typically with lye). But why?
>
> Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or
> whole corn
kernels?

I believe that the lye is an essential part of the process.
When the corn is exposed to lye, some of the amino acids in
the corn are changed to other amino acids and as a result
hominy is nutritionally superior to regular corn,
particularly for people who do not each much meat.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

Louis Cohen wrote:
> We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole
> kernels in pozole or ground into grits, is corn from which
> the hull and germ have been removed, either mechanically,
> or chemically (typically with lye). But why?

To puff up the corn and make it more of a substantial meal
for a family. Also, back in the day, they didn't consider
the 'bran' to be worth much. I'm still not sure how much
it's worth. Hominy still has the germ of the corn intact.

> Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or
> whole corn kernels?

I guess it depends on where you buy them. I don't know
anyone who grinds cornmeal from hominy; it's an entirely
different process to grind corn than it is to soak it in lye
first. Whole corn kernels, if presented as such, should be
simply that. Corn kernels.

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Louis Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole
> > kernels in pozole or ground into grits, is corn from
> > which the hull and germ have been removed, either
> > mechanically, or chemically (typically with lye).
> > But why?
> >
> > Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or
> > whole corn
> kernels?
> >

> I believe that the lye is an essential part of the
> process. When the corn is exposed to lye, some of the
> amino acids in the corn are changed to other amino acids
> and as a result hominy is nutritionally superior to
> regular corn, particularly for people who do not each
> much meat.

Close but not quite, Peter. Hominy is still an incomplete
protein source due to the lack of the amino acid lysine.
Alkaline (as lime, calcium hydroxide) treatment of corn
actually liberates niacin from protein and makes it more
available. This is why the niacin deficiency disease
pellagra was so common in the southern US before flour was
enriched. Poor folks were eating a corn- (not hominy) based
diet and not getting sufficient niacin as a result. Mexican
corn tortillas are made from ground dried hominy, so
pellagra was less common in that population.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I guess it depends on where you buy them. I don't know
> anyone who grinds cornmeal from hominy; it's an entirely
> different process to grind corn than it is to soak it in
> lye first. Whole corn kernels, if presented as such,
> should be simply that. Corn kernels.
>
> Jill

Aren't corn tortillas made from flour made from lye soaked
corn...Or is that Lime soaked corn?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
nothing but food and water.

"Cindy Fuller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>, "Peter
> Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Louis Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole
> > > kernels in pozole
or
> > > ground into grits, is corn from which the hull and
> > > germ have been
removed,
> > > either mechanically, or chemically (typically with
> > > lye). But why?
> > >
> > > Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or
> > > whole corn
> > kernels?
> > >

> > I believe that the lye is an essential part of the
> > process. When the
corn is
> > exposed to lye, some of the amino acids in the corn are
> > changed to other amino acids and as a result hominy is
> > nutritionally superior to regular corn, particularly for
> > people who do not each much meat.
>
> Close but not quite, Peter. Hominy is still an incomplete
> protein source due to the lack of the amino acid lysine.
> Alkaline (as lime, calcium hydroxide) treatment of corn
> actually liberates niacin from protein and makes it more
> available. This is why the niacin deficiency disease
> pellagra was so common in the southern US before flour was
> enriched. Poor folks were eating a corn- (not hominy)
> based diet and not getting sufficient niacin as a result.
> Mexican corn tortillas are made from ground dried hominy,
> so pellagra was less common in that population.

Thannks - I looked into it and see that you are correct.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

>I don't know anyone who grinds cornmeal from hominy

That's what grits is, no?

>I don't know anyone who grinds cornmeal from hominy

That's what grits is, no?

>I believe that the lye is an essential part of the process.
>When the corn is exposed to lye, some of the amino acids in
>the corn are changed to other amino acids and as a result
>hominy is nutritionally superior to regular corn

I don't know about the amino acid claim, but that's my
understanding, too, that the lye process somehow makes more
of the protein available. Similar to what's done to the form
of corn used to make tortillas.

Neil

WardNA wrote:
>> I don't know anyone who grinds cornmeal from hominy
>
> That's what grits is, no?

No, grits are not the same as cornmeal.

WardNA wrote:

> >I believe that the lye is an essential part of the
> >process. When the corn is exposed to lye, some of the
> >amino acids in the corn are changed to other amino acids
> >and as a result hominy is nutritionally superior to
> >regular corn
>
> I don't know about the amino acid claim, but that's my
> understanding, too, that the lye process somehow makes
> more of the protein available. Similar to what's done to
> the form of corn used to make tortillas.

People were making hominy from corn long before they
understood the chemistry of nutrition. From what I have been
able to find out about it, the lye water causes the shells
to separate from the kernels. It also removes the little
black eyes. The alternative to lye "cooking" is to steam the
corn to remove the husk.

WardNA wrote:

>>I don't know anyone who grinds cornmeal from hominy
>
> That's what grits is, no?

Yep. And you can also find it in several specific shapes
and sizes of grind. My current fave is dried, flaked
hominy. Little flat bullets of hominy that cook up to a polenta-
like consistency. Cooled, sliced and fried makes a good
base for hearty stews or as a perfectly wonderful butter-
delivery vehicle.

Pastorio

WardNA wrote:

>>I don't know anyone who grinds cornmeal from hominy
>
> That's what grits is, no?

Yep. And you can also find it in several specific shapes
and sizes of grind. My current fave is dried, flaked
hominy. Little flat bullets of hominy that cook up to a polenta-
like consistency. Cooled, sliced and fried makes a good
base for hearty stews or as a perfectly wonderful butter-
delivery vehicle.

Pastorio

> WardNA wrote:
> >> I don't know anyone who grinds cornmeal from hominy
> >
> > That's what grits is, no?
>
> No, grits are not the same as cornmeal.

Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by
cooking cornmeal in water to get a mush. If the cornmeal was
ground from hominy rather than regular corn then you have
hominy grits.

--

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I don't know about the amino acid claim, but that's my
>> understanding, too, that the lye process somehow makes
>> more of the protein available. Similar to what's done to
>> the form of corn used to make tortillas.

Lime, rather than lye, is used for corn masa, posole, etc.
There's a subtle flavor difference (in lime's favor).

Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---