Hominy

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I don't know about the amino acid claim, but that's my
>> understanding, too, that the lye process somehow makes
>> more of the protein available. Similar to what's done to
>> the form of corn used to make tortillas.

Lime, rather than lye, is used for corn masa, posole, etc.
There's a subtle flavor difference (in lime's favor).

Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> That's what grits is, no?
>>
>> No, grits are not the same as cornmeal.
>>

> Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by
> cooking cornmeal in water to get a mush.

That is absolutely not true. Grits do not = cornmeal mush or
as so many upper-scale places like to call mush, 'polenta'.

Corn Grits The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content,
then each kernel is cleaned with forced air. The kernels of
grain are run through the mill stone where they are ground
to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh
screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal,
white corn grits and the bran that pops off. There is a
fine bran still in the grits product. This bran will never
soften up with cooking. Depending on personal preference,
the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits
before cooking.

Hominy is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water
(potash water in the old days) and stirred over the next
day or two until the entire shell or bran comes loose and
rises to the top. The kernel itself swells to twice its
original size. After the remaining kernels have been rinsed
several times, they are spread to dry either on cloth or
screen dryers.

Jill

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> That's what grits is, no?
>>
>> No, grits are not the same as cornmeal.
>>

> Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by
> cooking cornmeal in water to get a mush.

That is absolutely not true. Grits do not = cornmeal mush or
as so many upper-scale places like to call mush, 'polenta'.

Corn Grits The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content,
then each kernel is cleaned with forced air. The kernels of
grain are run through the mill stone where they are ground
to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh
screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal,
white corn grits and the bran that pops off. There is a
fine bran still in the grits product. This bran will never
soften up with cooking. Depending on personal preference,
the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits
before cooking.

Hominy is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water
(potash water in the old days) and stirred over the next
day or two until the entire shell or bran comes loose and
rises to the top. The kernel itself swells to twice its
original size. After the remaining kernels have been rinsed
several times, they are spread to dry either on cloth or
screen dryers.

Jill

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:10:06 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by
>cooking cornmeal in water to get a mush. If the cornmeal
>was ground from hominy rather than regular corn then you
>have hominy grits.

Hominy grits are the default grits, though, when not
specified. Plain cornmeal, when cooked, is by default
'mush'.

-sw (Love that liver mush...)

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by
>cooking cornmeal in water to get a mush. If the cornmeal
>was ground from hominy rather than regular corn then you
>have hominy grits.

Hominy grits are the default grits, though, when not
specified. Plain cornmeal, when cooked, is by default
'mush'.

-sw (Love that liver mush...)

> Peter Aitken wrote:
> > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> No, grits are not the same as cornmeal.
> >>

> > Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by
> > cooking cornmeal in water to get a mush.
>
> That is absolutely not true. Grits do not = cornmeal mush
> or as so many upper-scale places like to call mush,
> 'polenta'.
>
> Corn Grits The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content,
> then each kernel is cleaned with forced air. The kernels
> of grain are run through the mill stone where they are
> ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two
> wire mesh screens. The three products sorted are white
> corn meal, white corn grits
and
> the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the
> grits product. This bran will never soften up with
> cooking. Depending on personal preference, the bran can be
> left in or removed by rinsing the grits before cooking.

Sorry, but your reference supports my contention - grits
*are* corn meal, ground corn. It may be coarse as opposed to
fine corn meal but it is corn meal just the same.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.