Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

Started by ComandanteBanana · · Last activity · 16 posts · 2,223 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
28 April 2008
Last activity
5 May 2008
Original author
ComandanteBanana
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,223
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. (This comment interprets horn blowing. My own interpretation is found
    below.)

    Horn Blowing: Interpreting the Message.

    If someone honks a horn at you, the meaning is all in the duration. A
    really brief "Bip!" means "Hi!" or "Bye!" A moderately short beep
    means, "I just want you to realize I'm here." Somewhere between a
    second and maybe two seconds means, "I'm here and I am annoyed at your
    heedlessness." Over two seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at you,
    JERK!" Longer than three seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at this
    whole situation! And I am frustrated that I can't do anything more
    effective than sit here and blow my horn. Boy am I
    frustrated!" (Usually employed in traffic jams to make people around
    you even more frustrated too.)

    Repeated honks are either repetitions of the above (sorted by blast
    duration) or monotone musical "Hellos" if done in cadence with known
    tunes like "Shave and a haircut: two bits!" (Meant to be friendly.)

    http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5105&st=0&gopid=37361&#entry37361

    Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
    horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

    "Hey, this is my territory and you better get lost --or else I eat
    you!"

    And guess what the monkey riding the bike said... "Yes, you can eat my
    banana!"

    WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
    http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

  2. ComandanteBanana said:

    (This comment interprets horn blowing. My own interpretation is found
    below.)

    Horn Blowing: Interpreting the Message.

    If someone honks a horn at you, the meaning is all in the duration. A
    really brief "Bip!" means "Hi!" or "Bye!" A moderately short beep
    means, "I just want you to realize I'm here." Somewhere between a
    second and maybe two seconds means, "I'm here and I am annoyed at your
    heedlessness." Over two seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at you,
    JERK!" Longer than three seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at this
    whole situation! And I am frustrated that I can't do anything more
    effective than sit here and blow my horn. Boy am I
    frustrated!" (Usually employed in traffic jams to make people around
    you even more frustrated too.)

    Repeated honks are either repetitions of the above (sorted by blast
    duration) or monotone musical "Hellos" if done in cadence with known
    tunes like "Shave and a haircut: two bits!" (Meant to be friendly.)

    http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5105&st=0&gopid=37361&#entry37361

    Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
    horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

    "Hey, this is my territory and you better get lost --or else I eat
    you!"

    And guess what the monkey riding the bike said... "Yes, you can eat my
    banana!"

    WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
    http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

    I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

    Chuckle

    Gunner

    Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
    illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
    unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
    proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  3. Gunner Asch said:
    ComandanteBanana said:

    (This comment interprets horn blowing. My own interpretation is found
    below.)

    Horn Blowing: Interpreting the Message.

    If someone honks a horn at you, the meaning is all in the duration. A
    really brief "Bip!" means "Hi!" or "Bye!" A moderately short beep
    means, "I just want you to realize I'm here." Somewhere between a
    second and maybe two seconds means, "I'm here and I am annoyed at your
    heedlessness." Over two seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at you,
    JERK!" Longer than three seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at this
    whole situation! And I am frustrated that I can't do anything more
    effective than sit here and blow my horn. Boy am I
    frustrated!" (Usually employed in traffic jams to make people around
    you even more frustrated too.)

    Repeated honks are either repetitions of the above (sorted by blast
    duration) or monotone musical "Hellos" if done in cadence with known
    tunes like "Shave and a haircut: two bits!" (Meant to be friendly.)

    http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5105&st=0&gopid=37361&#entry37361

    Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
    horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

    "Hey, this is my territory and you better get lost --or else I eat
    you!"

    And guess what the monkey riding the bike said... "Yes, you can eat my
    banana!"

    WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
    http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

    I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

    Chuckle

    Gunner

    Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
    illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
    unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
    proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.


    Dunno, but I recently acquired an old one that sounds a bit like a tram
    bell. None of your pissy "tink tink" or "brring brring" My bike says
    "Clang Clang".

    Moike

  4. Moike said:

    Dunno, but I recently acquired an old one that sounds a bit like a
    tram bell. None of your pissy "tink tink" or "brring brring" My
    bike says "Clang Clang".

    I've got one that sounds like a referee's whistle.

    Theo

  5. On Apr 28, 2:57 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    (This comment interprets horn blowing. My own interpretation is found
    below.)

    Horn Blowing: Interpreting the Message.

    If someone honks a horn at you, the meaning is all in the duration. A
    really brief "Bip!" means "Hi!" or "Bye!" A moderately short beep
    means, "I just want you to realize I'm here." Somewhere between a
    second and maybe two seconds means, "I'm here and I am annoyed at your
    heedlessness." Over two seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at you,
    JERK!" Longer than three seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at this
    whole situation! And I am frustrated that I can't do anything more
    effective than sit here and blow my horn. Boy am I
    frustrated!" (Usually employed in traffic jams to make people around
    you even more frustrated too.)

    Repeated honks are either repetitions of the above (sorted by blast
    duration) or monotone musical "Hellos" if done in cadence with known
    tunes like "Shave and a haircut: two bits!" (Meant to be friendly.)

    http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5105&st=0&gopid=37361&...

    Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
    horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

    "Hey, this is my territory and you better get lost --or else I eat
    you!"

    And guess what the monkey riding the bike said... "Yes, you can eat my
    banana!"

    WELCOME TO THE JUNGLEhttp://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

    Sounding a horn other than when for an emergency situation violates
    the municipal code (ordinance) in some communities and is generally
    found and defined under the category of noise pollution.
    noise pollution.

  6. JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara said:

    On Apr 28, 2:57 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    (This comment interprets horn blowing. My own interpretation is found
    below.)

    Horn Blowing: Interpreting the Message.

    If someone honks a horn at you, the meaning is all in the duration. A
    really brief "Bip!" means "Hi!" or "Bye!" A moderately short beep
    means, "I just want you to realize I'm here." Somewhere between a
    second and maybe two seconds means, "I'm here and I am annoyed at your
    heedlessness." Over two seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at you,
    JERK!" Longer than three seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at this
    whole situation! And I am frustrated that I can't do anything more
    effective than sit here and blow my horn. Boy am I
    frustrated!" (Usually employed in traffic jams to make people around
    you even more frustrated too.)

    Repeated honks are either repetitions of the above (sorted by blast
    duration) or monotone musical "Hellos" if done in cadence with known
    tunes like "Shave and a haircut: two bits!" (Meant to be friendly.)

    http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5105&st=0&gopid=37361&...

    Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
    horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

    "Hey, this is my territory and you better get lost --or else I eat
    you!"

    And guess what the monkey riding the bike said... "Yes, you can eat my
    banana!"

    WELCOME TO THE JUNGLEhttp://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

    Sounding a horn other than when for an emergency situation violates
    the municipal code (ordinance) in some communities and is generally
    found and defined under the category of noise pollution.


    In some communities, people confuse the horn with a doorbell. I hate
    those people.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  7. On Apr 28, 9:41 pm, Tom Sherman <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara said:

    On Apr 28, 2:57 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    (This comment interprets horn blowing. My own interpretation is found
    below.)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Horn Blowing: Interpreting the Message.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If someone honks a horn at you, the meaning is all in the duration. A
    really brief "Bip!" means "Hi!" or "Bye!" A moderately short beep
    means, "I just want you to realize I'm here." Somewhere between a
    second and maybe two seconds means, "I'm here and I am annoyed at your
    heedlessness." Over two seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at you,
    JERK!" Longer than three seconds it means, "I'm [censored] at this
    whole situation! And I am frustrated that I can't do anything more
    effective than sit here and blow my horn. Boy am I
    frustrated!" (Usually employed in traffic jams to make people around
    you even more frustrated too.)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Repeated honks are either repetitions of the above (sorted by blast
    duration) or monotone musical "Hellos" if done in cadence with known
    tunes like "Shave and a haircut: two bits!" (Meant to be friendly.)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5105&st=0&gopid=37361&...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
    horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Hey, this is my territory and you better get lost --or else I eat
    you!"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And guess what the monkey riding the bike said... "Yes, you can eat my
    banana!"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    WELCOME TO THE JUNGLEhttp://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

    Quoted message said:

    Sounding a horn other than when for an emergency situation violates
    the municipal code (ordinance) in some communities and is generally
    found and defined under the category of noise pollution.

    In some communities, people confuse the horn with a doorbell. I hate
    those people.

    Got some here and it is inevitably the same couple of neighbors who
    seem to attract like minded lazy [censored] for friends who know not the
    difference or couldn't give a damn about the law or any other
    neighbors. The time of day doesn't seem to hamper them from
    exercising their ignorance either.

    Quoted message said:

    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  8. Gunner Asch said:

    I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

    Chuckle

    Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
    bicycle answers back...meaow.

    It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

  9. ComandanteBanana said:
    Gunner Asch said:

    I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

    Chuckle

    Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
    bicycle answers back...meaow.

    It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

    Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

    Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

    Small, light, portable

    Gunner

  10. On Apr 30, 2:21 am, Commandante Apeshit <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Got it. Whenever I hear a horn I know to be afraid.

    I hear horns all day long, so I should be fearful all day long.

    You should never let the guard down in the jungle. But you should be
    able to tell a threatening roar from a hesitant driver, though both
    can be deadly.

    Another survival strategy that may not save you, but at least won't
    make you fearful all the time is to wear headphones with noise
    cancellation. Anyway that's what many drivers do with their radios.
    Just ENJOY EVERYTHING LIKE IT WAS THE LAST DAY OF YOUR LIFE... 😉

  11. Gunner said:

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:30:31 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana

    Quoted message said:

    On Apr 28, 6:20 pm, Gunner Asch <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Chuckle

    Quoted message said:

    Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
    bicycle answers back...meaow.

    Quoted message said:

    It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

    Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

    Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

    Small, light, portable

    Gunner

    Oh, they have already. They put it in the other thread.

    http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1

    It's supposed to paralize an SUV driver for 10 seconds, so you have
    time to escape. 😉

  12. [Default] I missed the Staff Meeting but the Minutes record that
    Gunner <[email hidden]> reported Elvis on Wed, 30 Apr
    2008 04:11:41 -0700 in misc.survivalism :

    Quoted message said:
    ComandanteBanana said:
    Gunner Asch said:

    I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

    Chuckle

    Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
    bicycle answers back...meaow.

    It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

    Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

    Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

    Small, light, portable

    Methane powered... "use those toots - don't pollute."

    Quoted message said:


    Gunner


    --
    pyotr filipivich
    The two oldest cliches in the book are "The Good Old Days were
    better." and "After all, these are Modern TImes."

  13. Gunner said:
    ComandanteBanana said:
    Gunner Asch said:

    I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

    Chuckle

    Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
    bicycle answers back...meaow.

    It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

    Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

    Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

    Small, light, portable


    Why not compressed air: <http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1>.

    The Airzound® is loud enough to get the attention of a cager that has
    the windows closed and the radio on.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  14. ComandanteBanana said:

    On Apr 30, 2:21 am, Commandante Apeshit <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Got it. Whenever I hear a horn I know to be afraid.

    I hear horns all day long, so I should be fearful all day long.

    You should never let the guard down in the jungle. But you should be
    able to tell a threatening roar from a hesitant driver, though both
    can be deadly.

    Another survival strategy that may not save you, but at least won't
    make you fearful all the time is to wear headphones with noise
    cancellation. Anyway that's what many drivers do with their radios.
    Just ENJOY EVERYTHING LIKE IT WAS THE LAST DAY OF YOUR LIFE... 😉

    I just heard on the news, that the Greens demanding hybrid vehicles is
    now causing the deaths of innocent blind people.

    Seems that hybrids make so little noise that the blind are walking out
    in front of them in record numbers. A bill is being considered to
    make hybrids noisier.

    Gunner

  15. ComandanteBanana said:
    Gunner said:

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:30:31 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana

    Quoted message said:

    On Apr 28, 6:20 pm, Gunner Asch <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

    Quoted message said:

    > Chuckle

    Quoted message said:

    Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
    bicycle answers back...meaow.

    Quoted message said:

    It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

    Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

    Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

    Small, light, portable

    Gunner

    Oh, they have already. They put it in the other thread.

    http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1

    It's supposed to paralize an SUV driver for 10 seconds, so you have
    time to escape. 😉

    Now thats way cool!

    Though Im not sure that paralyizing the driver of a 8,000 lb hurtling
    mass of steel, glass and rubber for 10 seconds in a really good
    idea......

    Gunner

  16. QUOTE(Keith C. Johns @ May 5 2008, 12:10 AM)
    "But this thread is about ALL uses of the horn, not just by aggressive
    drivers, and horn blows ARE used by good drivers as part of good
    driving technique when used to alert others of their presence, and
    other polite uses already mentioned. And it is useful to be able to
    interpret the meaning behind these horn sounds and not get angry when
    the message was not intended to be unfriendly. If you just assume that
    any horn blow is mean spirited, you will probably be misinterpreting
    many of these and possibly create conflicts with an aggressive
    response. Better to realize that all horn blows are not bad, even
    including some by drivers of FSUVs."

    Well, I see some rare instances where blowing the horn may become
    necessary, but I don't see the need to use to give so many different
    messages that riders would have to decipher. When you are concentrated
    in your thing, or tired from riding, you don't need to be guessing
    people's intentions. And chances are you'll feel intimidated when you
    have several tons of steel next to you...

    Wouldn't it better to educate the drivers NOT to blow the horn at
    cyclists?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.