Horner tells it like it is

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
Horner always gives a great interview and doesn't fail this time. Check out the nugget below. Gee, I wonder which team he is talking about. ;)

"You can see the differences," he said. "As a rider it is easily perceptible, or as a well-educated fan sitting at home. You get to a climb and everyone has maybe one or two team-mates with him -- that is doable. You can't have a leader's team getting to the final climb with five guys on the front, like every year from three years back all the way back. It is impossible to ride the front with your whole team and get to the final climb with most of your team still on the front -- and be ready to come back and do it day in and day out."

"When I was with Mercury we were the number one team -- the best riders on the best team in the States. We go into a race like Redlands and have seven guys on the road race, the Sunset Loop. I'm finishing there with two team-mates and they have one foot in the grave! I'm riding the front to get them over the last climb so they can help me down the descent.

"That is an 85 mile race, so you are telling me that a 150 mile race over four mountain passes you can finish with 7-8 guys on the last climb? I don't believe it to be possible. Even with Rasmussen's team, and he had a lot of questions about him, he was arriving with only two guys on the front and one would get dropped on the final climb. That's what I mean by a change."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2007/interviews/?id=chris_horner_aug07

Bro Deal said:
"That is an 85 mile race, so you are telling me that a 150 mile race over four mountain passes you can finish with 7-8 guys on the last climb? I don't believe it to be possible. Even with Rasmussen's team, and he had a lot of questions about him, he was arriving with only two guys on the front and one would get dropped on the final climb. That's what I mean by a change."
All I have to say about that is, AMEN!

What I am wondering is if Horner is a ***** or something? Anyone here know why it seems that the other American cyclists appear to dislike him? I remember seeing him race in the mid 90's, and he was a beast. I have kept up with his career, but haven't really heard anyone talk that much about him. I have noticed that they dont ride with him in races, and never really refer to him in interviews.

thoughtforfood said:

What I am wondering is if Horner is a ***** or something? Anyone here know why it seems that the other American cyclists appear to dislike him? I remember seeing him race in the mid 90's, and he was a beast. I have kept up with his career, but haven't really heard anyone talk that much about him. I have noticed that they dont ride with him in races, and never really refer to him in interviews.
Uh, because of what he just said in that interview? I'm sure Lance thinks he's a *****, LOL. He just accused the 7time TdF winning team of being a bunch of dopers. Quite boldly, I might add. I guess he didn't get the memo about the dirty French saboteurs. I like him. :)

nns1400 said:
Uh, because of what he just said in that interview? I'm sure Lance thinks he's a *****, LOL. He just accused the 7time TdF winning team of being a bunch of dopers. Quite boldly, I might add. I guess he didn't get the memo about the dirty French saboteurs. I like him. :)
Well, I am guessing that Armstrong has alienated about oh...90% of the peloton, probably more, so I am not judging on that interview. He just told it like it is. I am just wondering if he is a 24/7 ***** or something....of course if he were French he would get like 2 months off of ***** duty for "holiday" and would probably be significantly more popular.

thoughtforfood said:
Well, I am guessing that Armstrong has alienated about oh...90% of the peloton, probably more, so I am not judging on that interview. He just told it like it is. I am just wondering if he is a 24/7 ***** or something....of course if he were French he would get like 2 months off of ***** duty for "holiday" and would probably be significantly more popular.
That's what I'm saying. He tells it like it is. I find this unusual.

nns1400 said:
That's what I'm saying. He tells it like it is. I find this unusual.
I like brute honesty......hmmm.................come to think of it, I am not that popular....t h i n g s....b e c o m i n g.........c l e a r e r............

thoughtforfood said:

I did like the fact he was an attacker in racing, but his rep was that of a guy who had a second speed.. He was critical of everything around him. He has to be the most disliked "good" cyclist America had in my lifetime. He was even more disliked then Alexi Grewal.
Of course he has to be the only American to go to Europe and not be asked to ride for Discovery. Sour grapes?

wolfix said:
I did like the fact he was an attacker in racing, but his rep was that of a guy who had a second speed.. He was critical of everything around him. He has to be the most disliked "good" cyclist America had in my lifetime. He was even more disliked then Alexi Grewal.
This is off topic, but do you know why it seems like Jonathan Page and Ryan Treborn seem to dislike each other. I get the impression that Page is kind of a ***** also, but might have it the wrong way around.

Don't forget this little pearler

Because Lance wants to get out of the sport he is going to unemploy half of his team. Personal opinion again, but that has to be the biggest ******** story I have ever read!

Quite frankly, Horner sounds like an idiot. Case in point:

"Anyone whose job is to look at sports and find where best to put your money, and says it's not in cycling, has never been to a cycling event."

His talk about his minimum wage offer and Lance racing for money (and not wanting to turn any done therefore its all about not finding a sponsor) reeks of envy.

Serafino said:
Quite frankly, Horner sounds like an idiot. Case in point:

"Anyone whose job is to look at sports and find where best to put your money, and says it's not in cycling, has never been to a cycling event."

His talk about his minimum wage offer and Lance racing for money (and not wanting to turn any done therefore its all about not finding a sponsor) reeks of envy.
How surprising that you would feel that way. :rolleyes:

Maybe he is envious of dopers getting all the fame and money.

Chris Horner will soon become unemployed.

He is disconnected from economic reality.

He will work for still lower wages in 2008 or will be painting houses.

His commitment to denial is absolute as was his defense of Roid Landis.

thoughtforfood said:
This is off topic, but do you know why it seems like Jonathan Page and Ryan Treborn seem to dislike each other. I get the impression that Page is kind of a ***** also, but might have it the wrong way around.
Horner is probably the last American cyclist I have followed. I started following hsi career because he was a good cyclist. The very first race LA raced in wearing the rainbow stripes the following week after the World's Horner won......... And even though Horner won going off the front,[nobody chased or cared] the post race interviews with Liggett completely ignored him. The focus was on LA of course , but Phinney and Michael Aisner were also highlighted. No one clapped when Horner went to the podium. His rep is being all about Horner. But in all fairness, he is outspoken and a great interview. he also is not afraid to attack, a characteristic I find lacking in many star riders.
I get the feeling that many riders feel neglected by the American public and feel as if LA is hogging all the publicity. Of course they could win 7 yellow jerseys also.......
Horner reminds me of LA without the talent.

Bro Deal said:
There, fixed it for you.
Whatever your opinion of him or your thoughts on his motives - his comments are the truth. There's not been too much of that in cycling during recent years.

Do not rely on Chris Honer for honesty.

They all dope, they all lie.

Rolfrae said:
Whatever your opinion of him or your thoughts on his motives - his comments are the truth. There's not been too much of that in cycling during recent years.

Rolfrae said:
Wolfix's comments are the truth? LOL. :p