Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

How can I get better at racing

Started by Jamie · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,343 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
8 August 2005
Last activity
10 August 2005
Original author
Jamie
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,343
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I too am in the same dilemma as ALG in a previous post.
    I tried for my first time at a Crit, and got lapped.
    Yes I know about skills, and stuff, but how can I possibly get better and
    keep up with the pack.
    I think skill is a very little factor in this.
    I think 99% is stamina and strength to keep up.
    For example, any C grade riders here ??
    What Max HR are you pumping during a 40 minute Crit race.

    I mean you can only push your body so far, so I don't see how a Cycling
    Coach can help you .

    J

  2. Jamie said:

    I too am in the same dilemma as ALG in a previous post.
    I tried for my first time at a Crit, and got lapped.
    Yes I know about skills, and stuff, but how can I possibly get better and
    keep up with the pack.
    I think skill is a very little factor in this.
    I think 99% is stamina and strength to keep up.
    For example, any C grade riders here ??
    What Max HR are you pumping during a 40 minute Crit race.

    I mean you can only push your body so far, so I don't see how a Cycling
    Coach can help you .

    J

    Well if you believe your own post give up, otherwise ask a question regarding th ethinks you could improve:

    Skills will be a factor, poor skills will cost you heaps in additional effort out of each corner.

    A coach or self coaching will give you a range of different efforts to build up the fdifferent aspects of physiology that are required in a crit, improved Vo2Max, improved lactic acid tolerance and increased muscular efficency.

    Only time you should be even close to max HR is likely to be the sprint at the finish.

    PiledHigher

  3. Jamie said:

    I too am in the same dilemma as ALG in a previous post.
    I tried for my first time at a Crit, and got lapped.
    Yes I know about skills, and stuff, but how can I possibly get better and
    keep up with the pack.
    I think skill is a very little factor in this.
    I think 99% is stamina and strength to keep up.
    For example, any C grade riders here ??
    What Max HR are you pumping during a 40 minute Crit race.

    I mean you can only push your body so far, so I don't see how a Cycling
    Coach can help you .

    I'll bite. I'm new to racing and am riding C grade.

    I find in the pack there there are people with wildly varying fitness
    levels. Racing skill plays a massive part in staying in the optimal
    position in the pack. If you aren't you are working far harder than you
    need to be and come the right parts of the race you have enough to pump
    out short spurts.

    As a direct example I haven't been lapped in a crit as yet. But the last
    road race I rode, I ran onto the shoulder from mid pack after I'd been
    leading the pack around for about half the race (and feeling very
    strong). It happened as I lost concentration and I needed to slow to
    safely get back into the pack, lost the wheel of the back of the pack
    and got dropped. The harder I worked the further they seemed to get
    away. I'm sure that if I hadn't made the mental error from a fitness
    point of view staying in the pack would have been no real issue.

    Max HR is not a measure of fitness. My HR when I'm racing over shorter
    distances sits around 170, enduro racing (up to 12 hrs) it sits closer
    to 150. My mate has a very similar fitness level (and age) to me and
    racing is lucky to get past 150.

    There are cycling coaches on this group maybe they can better guide you
    as to their benefits. However I'll note that while part of their
    guidance might be tactical, I'm sure much larger parts of their input is
    development and management of a structured training program that has has
    you building a base and peaking at the right time.

    Brett

  4. I think you should concentrate on doing as many kms as possible.

    To ride effectively in C-grade you need to be doing 200-300 kms per
    week at 33-35km/h.

    Technique is something you can 'tweak' later on.

  5. I think you should concentrate on doing as many kms as possible.

    To ride effectively in C-grade you need to be doing 200-300 kms per
    week at 33-35km/h.

    Technique is something you can 'tweak' later on.

  6. "Jamie" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    I too am in the same dilemma as ALG in a previous post.
    I tried for my first time at a Crit, and got lapped.
    Yes I know about skills, and stuff, but how can I possibly get better and
    keep up with the pack.
    I think skill is a very little factor in this.

    Great to see more and more people are getting into racing! I'll have a stab
    at answering your queries - though there are people in here who can give
    much better advice than me...

    The skill is in riding close enough to a wheel that you end up doing less
    work.. then there is skill in knowing the course, where you can get a
    'rest', where you _may_ get dropped.. the skill of knowing your limits and
    when to conserve... It may sound stupid, but basic bike handling plays a
    big part in the racing I've done. Positioning into and out of a corner (we
    all know the one I'm talking about) could mean the difference of being at
    the front, or 5th in a matter of seconds.

    Quoted message said:

    I think 99% is stamina and strength to keep up.

    Correct, though make that 100% 🙂... Look at your training program -
    evaluate this against a good training book (I see mention of the book '7
    weeks to the perfect ride' in other threads) and get to work!..

    Quoted message said:

    For example, any C grade riders here ??

    I think I graduated to B grade after yesterday.. I find it strange you are
    asking about C grade? Have you raced/learnt your way though D grade? I am
    a believer of earning your 'stripes' in a lower grade before moving up...
    Given that, I didn't follow my own advice.. After winning my first D grade
    race, I found C grade pace matched my skill and ability when I started out
    racing..

    Quoted message said:

    What Max HR are you pumping during a 40 minute Crit race.

    Wearing a HRM on a crit? Are you crazy!? I'll just tell you to stop!.. Max
    HR also depends on a large number of factors.. and also how cute the chicks
    are running around the crit course while you race 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    I mean you can only push your body so far, so I don't see how a Cycling
    Coach can help you .

    They'll help in kicking your ass when you have done as much as you can
    alone.. I'm considering coaching in the next month or so for technique and
    an evaluation of my potential, I assume a good coach will be able to spot
    someone who has ability, good legs, etc..

    Are you in Melbourne? Come along to a BR where you'll find riders of all
    skills and experience.. In all honesty I have the BR (and the regulars) to
    thank for my increased interest in cycling and racing... If only I was 10
    years younger I'd be going crazy to become pro 🙂... arh well, I have 7
    years of 'base training' until I'm in the vets group 😉

    cheers,
    GPL

  7. "Jamie" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    I too am in the same dilemma as ALG in a previous post.
    I tried for my first time at a Crit, and got lapped.
    Yes I know about skills, and stuff, but how can I possibly get better and
    keep up with the pack.
    I think skill is a very little factor in this.

    Great to see more and more people are getting into racing! I'll have a stab
    at answering your queries - though there are people in here who can give
    much better advice than me...

    The skill is in riding close enough to a wheel that you end up doing less
    work.. then there is skill in knowing the course, where you can get a
    'rest', where you _may_ get dropped.. the skill of knowing your limits and
    when to conserve... It may sound stupid, but basic bike handling plays a
    big part in the racing I've done. Positioning into and out of a corner (we
    all know the one I'm talking about) could mean the difference of being at
    the front, or 5th in a matter of seconds.

    Quoted message said:

    I think 99% is stamina and strength to keep up.

    Correct, though make that 100% 🙂... Look at your training program -
    evaluate this against a good training book (I see mention of the book '7
    weeks to the perfect ride' in other threads) and get to work!..

    Quoted message said:

    For example, any C grade riders here ??

    I think I graduated to B grade after yesterday.. I find it strange you are
    asking about C grade? Have you raced/learnt your way though D grade? I am
    a believer of earning your 'stripes' in a lower grade before moving up...
    Given that, I didn't follow my own advice.. After winning my first D grade
    race, I found C grade pace matched my skill and ability when I started out
    racing..

    Quoted message said:

    What Max HR are you pumping during a 40 minute Crit race.

    Wearing a HRM on a crit? Are you crazy!? I'll just tell you to stop!.. Max
    HR also depends on a large number of factors.. and also how cute the chicks
    are running around the crit course while you race 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    I mean you can only push your body so far, so I don't see how a Cycling
    Coach can help you .

    They'll help in kicking your ass when you have done as much as you can
    alone.. I'm considering coaching in the next month or so for technique and
    an evaluation of my potential, I assume a good coach will be able to spot
    someone who has ability, good legs, etc..

    Are you in Melbourne? Come along to a BR where you'll find riders of all
    skills and experience.. In all honesty I have the BR (and the regulars) to
    thank for my increased interest in cycling and racing... If only I was 10
    years younger I'd be going crazy to become pro 🙂... arh well, I have 7
    years of 'base training' until I'm in the vets group 😉

    cheers,
    GPL

  8. "D" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    I think you should concentrate on doing as many kms as possible.

    To ride effectively in C-grade you need to be doing 200-300 kms per
    week at 33-35km/h.

    Coorrr.. maybe if you only ride on "__________" <- Beach Rd! 🙂 I'd place
    my bets on the quality of the training, not the quantity of kms and speeds..
    though they aren't far off.. 🙂 hills/intervals/indoor trainers/rest days
    all have a big effect on averages..

    cheers,
    GPL

  9. "D" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    I think you should concentrate on doing as many kms as possible.

    To ride effectively in C-grade you need to be doing 200-300 kms per
    week at 33-35km/h.

    Coorrr.. maybe if you only ride on "__________" <- Beach Rd! 🙂 I'd place
    my bets on the quality of the training, not the quantity of kms and speeds..
    though they aren't far off.. 🙂 hills/intervals/indoor trainers/rest days
    all have a big effect on averages..

    cheers,
    GPL

  10. GPLama said:


    Coorrr.. maybe if you only ride on "__________" <- Beach Rd! 🙂 I'd place
    my bets on the quality of the training, not the quantity of kms and speeds..
    though they aren't far off.. 🙂 hills/intervals/indoor trainers/rest days
    all have a big effect on averages..

    damn ... now i 'need' to buy a trainer!!

    brett

  11. Jamie said:

    I too am in the same dilemma as ALG in a previous post.
    I tried for my first time at a Crit, and got lapped.
    Yes I know about skills, and stuff, but how can I possibly get better and
    keep up with the pack.
    I think skill is a very little factor in this.
    I think 99% is stamina and strength to keep up.
    For example, any C grade riders here ??
    What Max HR are you pumping during a 40 minute Crit race.

    I mean you can only push your body so far, so I don't see how a Cycling
    Coach can help you .

    J

    Other people have addressed this in this thread, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

    If you got lapped in your first race, it doesn't really speak for your fitness because you may have been caught out by a lack of skills. If you get lapped every time you race, you're probably in the wrong grade.

    One thing I've found is that the difference between grades is less about speed differences and more about the variation in speed. (A-graders excepted... they're still too b...dy fast for me!). You can adapt to speed changes by increasing fitness (to stay on the wheel) and skill (to read the changes in pace to avoid being caught out).

    Another thing I found is that a 40min race is more or less flat out all the way, while a 1.5-2hr race is slower on average but has some wicked pace changes!

    2 cents from a B-grader (no wins this year... yet)

    Ritch

  12. "Jamie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I too am in the same dilemma as ALG in a previous post.
    I tried for my first time at a Crit, and got lapped.
    Yes I know about skills, and stuff, but how can I possibly get better and
    keep up with the pack.
    I think skill is a very little factor in this.
    I think 99% is stamina and strength to keep up.

    I think you'll see from all the other replies that most racers think
    otherwise, but you'll have to work on both.

    Quoted message said:

    For example, any C grade riders here ??
    What Max HR are you pumping during a 40 minute Crit race.

    Don't use Max HR, a percentage of your maximum is a better guide
    to the intensity. Most crits and hard road races I would average
    around 80-87% of my maximum. I would only hit maximum in the
    sprint, or maybe a big attack on a hill (like last week when I had
    a "Vinokourov" moment 🙂 Time trials would be about 90-92%.
    Anything below an average of 80% of MHR for me would be
    easy. I'm *guessing* that would be typical of most racers, but
    everyone is different.

    Quoted message said:

    I mean you can only push your body so far, so I don't see how a Cycling
    Coach can help you .

    Push it, recover, push it again....At the risk of sounding "wanky",
    if you really want to improve do what the rest of us do who live
    and breathe racing...read every book you can find, get some
    sort of structured training happening, get up early out of the
    warm bed to go riding, find other nuts to go riding with who
    will push you along. If you really want it you've just got to
    keep working at it. If you tell friends and workmates what you
    do on the bike and they look at you funny and call you mad
    you know you are on the right track.

    If you work at it, every couple of weeks you will feel a definate
    improvement, especially when you're starting out. Let us know
    how you go!

    Adam

  13. "Jamie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I too am in the same dilemma as ALG in a previous post.
    I tried for my first time at a Crit, and got lapped.
    Yes I know about skills, and stuff, but how can I possibly get better and
    keep up with the pack.
    I think skill is a very little factor in this.
    I think 99% is stamina and strength to keep up.
    For example, any C grade riders here ??
    What Max HR are you pumping during a 40 minute Crit race.


    Skills in a crit has got a LOT to do with it. Over the last couple of
    seasons I've had quite a few of my friends try crits for the first time, and
    since I'm in E grade, they usually start out in my grade. Despite them
    being fitter and faster than me they usually end up getting lapped in their
    first race (or couple of races). The skills in crits are: being able to
    concentrate for the 35mins (or however long the race is) being able to
    corner, being able to hold a wheel, and knowing your weaknesses so you can
    try to be at the front of the bunch rather than the back when your weakness
    will get exposed. The crits that most people start with here in Adelaide
    are flat and fast at regency park, and even E-grade regularly averages 37kmh
    and sometimes over 39kmh. Once you get a little bit of a gap off the back -
    you're screwed...
    It only takes a touch of the brakes, a little too much of a gap left or a
    lapse in concentration and my fitter friends leave a little gap and they
    have to fight to get back on the pack. Do that more than a few times during
    a race and you're toast!!

    An example is a mate of mine got shelled after about 15 mins. After the
    race he wanted to know what my maximum speed was down the back straight,
    because he's hit 55kmh a few times. I hadn't gone more than 46kmh - it was
    his yo-yo-ing at the back that buggered him out! (sad thing was I didn't
    even get to 55kmh in the sprint either).

    So just hang in there (literally). Having a mate look after you for the
    first race or so tends to help.

    Cheers
    Gemma

  14. Gemma_k wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    first race (or couple of races). The skills in crits are: being able to
    concentrate for the 35mins (or however long the race is) being able to
    corner, being able to hold a wheel, and knowing your weaknesses so you can
    try to be at the front of the bunch rather than the back when your weakness
    will get exposed. The crits that most people start with here in Adelaide


    <snip>

    Oooh here's one you missed - being able to indentify the people who
    can't hold a line and can't hold a wheel, and stay well in front of
    them!

    Tam *a few close calls on Saturday, and next time watch me take down
    those hit girls*

  15. Tamyka Bell said:

    Gemma_k wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    first race (or couple of races). The skills in crits are: being able to
    concentrate for the 35mins (or however long the race is) being able to
    corner, being able to hold a wheel, and knowing your weaknesses so you can
    try to be at the front of the bunch rather than the back when your weakness
    will get exposed. The crits that most people start with here in Adelaide


    <snip>

    Oooh here's one you missed - being able to indentify the people who
    can't hold a line and can't hold a wheel, and stay well in front of
    them!

    Tam *a few close calls on Saturday, and next time watch me take down
    those hit girls*

    Indentify? geez that's a bit violent isn't it? 🙂

  16. adam85 said:


    Tamyka Bell said:

    Gemma_k wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    first race (or couple of races). The skills in crits are: being


    able to

    Quoted message said:

    concentrate for the 35mins (or however long the race is) being able


    to

    Quoted message said:

    corner, being able to hold a wheel, and knowing your weaknesses so


    you can

    Quoted message said:

    try to be at the front of the bunch rather than the back when your


    weakness

    Quoted message said:

    will get exposed. The crits that most people start with here in


    Adelaide
    <snip>

    Oooh here's one you missed - being able to indentify the people who
    can't hold a line and can't hold a wheel, and stay well in front of
    them!

    Tam *a few close calls on Saturday, and next time watch me take down
    those hit girls*

    Indentify? geez that's a bit violent isn't it? 🙂

    --
    adam85

    It was a typo, but in hindsight seems more appropriate than what I
    intended to write.

    Tam

  17. adam85 said:


    Tamyka Bell said:

    Gemma_k wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    first race (or couple of races). The skills in crits are: being


    able to

    Quoted message said:

    concentrate for the 35mins (or however long the race is) being able


    to

    Quoted message said:

    corner, being able to hold a wheel, and knowing your weaknesses so


    you can

    Quoted message said:

    try to be at the front of the bunch rather than the back when your


    weakness

    Quoted message said:

    will get exposed. The crits that most people start with here in


    Adelaide
    <snip>

    Oooh here's one you missed - being able to indentify the people who
    can't hold a line and can't hold a wheel, and stay well in front of
    them!

    Tam *a few close calls on Saturday, and next time watch me take down
    those hit girls*

    Indentify? geez that's a bit violent isn't it? 🙂

    --
    adam85

    It was a typo, but in hindsight seems more appropriate than what I
    intended to write.

    Tam

  18. D wrote:

    I think you should concentrate on doing as many kms as possible.

    Agreed.

    To ride effectively in C-grade you need to be doing 200-300 kms per
    week at 33-35km/h.

    Holy smoke!!!!!!!! The amount of k's I agree with, but 33-35km/h.... I'll NEVER be able to achieve that!!!

    LotteBum

    P.S. I think you should apologise. I'm going to spend the afternoon crying under my desk.

  19. D said:

    I think you should concentrate on doing as many kms as possible.

    Bunk.

    Quoted message said:

    To ride effectively in C-grade you need to be doing 200-300 kms per
    week at 33-35km/h.

    Not necessarily, that's one way, but by no means the only
    way, and if all you're doing is E1/E2 work, you won't have the
    top end to deal with surges, contest sprints etc.

  20. LotteBum said:


    D wrote:

    I think you should concentrate on doing as many kms as possible.

    Agreed.

    To ride effectively in C-grade you need to be doing 200-300 kms per
    week at 33-35km/h.

    Holy smoke!!!!!!!! The amount of k's I agree with, but 33-35km/h....
    I'll NEVER be able to achieve that!!!

    LotteBum

    P.S. I think you should apologise. I'm going to spend the afternoon
    crying under my desk.

    --
    LotteBum

    One of the coaches out at Balmoral told me I should be doing about 300km
    per week of basework. I laughed... yeah dude, where do I fit that in
    around finishing my PhD and working two jobs? He started to go on about
    "an athlete of [my] level... " at which point I corrected him that I'm a
    cyclist, not an athlete, and it's my car-replacement... I managed 237km
    the other week... but to get up to 300, I'd have to give up sleep
    altogether.

    Meanwhile, I found a solution to that average speed, just sit on
    AB/Wayne/Ken/Gilly's wheel.

    Tam

    PS whose desk are you under?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.