How do I measure myself for a bike?

lectraplayer

May 11, 2014
So far, my experience in "measuring a bike" for me has been limited to dragging it off the shelf at my LBS and sitting on it. While the tech may can help me get the right fit, he can't be there to size a vintage bike I want to modify. I've been mostly "street and trail" riding mountain bikes, but am eyeballing one I am wanting to put "ram's horns" and (I think it's called) an aerobar, where my elbows go near the steering mount and my arms extend forward. I'm 6' with 32" pants inseam btw.

6' with ~34" legs (your pants don't drag at the heels do they?) puts you on a 56-58 cm modern frame. If your vintage bike is older than 1990 or so, 58-60 cm (center of bottom bracket to top of seat lug) should be about the right size. That's because around 1990 top tubes got longer, so most riders compensated by sizing down.

Regarding setting up your TT extensions, you'll want them so your upper arms are extended a little behind vertical when your hands are on the grips. Beyond that, your dealer can probably help you fine-tune.

Quote:Originally Posted by lectraplayer .Where do my elbows usually fall? Are they normally over the steering pivot?

FWIW. I think it is typical that your elbows may be just a little bit forward of your knees, plus-or-minus, depending on how upright your riding posture is-or-isn't ...
  • If your elbows are so far forward relative to the top tube & stem where you feel that they are "over the steering pivot" then the top tube is probably too short ... If you are 6' tall, then you probably want a bike with a 57cm-to-58cm top tube.
Of course, YOU may be comfortable on a frame which is smaller than someone who is your height typically would choose ... it's really a matter of each rider finding what works for him-or-her.

I was asking if that's where my elbows are supposed to be, with my guess based on what I have found online for riding aerobars. Is this right or am I off?

lectraplayer said:
I was asking if that's where my elbows are supposed to be, with my guess based on what I have found online for riding aerobars. Is this right or am I off?
Typically, with aero extensions, the elbow pads are slightly in front of the steerer ...
  • Again, the adjustment & fit is whatever works for YOU.
Frame size is obviously going to be a factor.