Made to measure frame or off the peg comprimise?

eladbell

Nov 10, 2004
Hello,

I would please like advice on frame sizing. A few years ago I visited a frame builder in England who told me that I would never be able to find an off the peg frame that would fit me correctly and after measuring me suggested a 53 s.t. and a 56 t.t. I am 5 foot 9 with a long torso and short inseam. At the moment I am living somewhere with no frame builders in sight and I am about to buy a bike. I really need some advice, can I get away with an off the peg frame? should I get a 56 inch frame so that I would have the correct top tube length or a 54 inch with the right seat tube height?

Thanks, Elad

eladbell said:
I would please like advice on frame sizing. A few years ago I visited a frame builder in England who told me that I would never be able to find an off the peg frame that would fit me correctly and after measuring me suggested a 53 s.t. and a 56 t.t. I am 5 foot 9 with a long torso and short inseam. At the moment I am living somewhere with no frame builders in sight and I am about to buy a bike. I really need some advice, can I get away with an off the peg frame? should I get a 56 inch frame so that I would have the correct top tube length or a 54 inch with the right seat tube height?
If you want a STEEL frame (recommended!), then all you have to do is buy ALMOST ANY 70s or early 80s vintage frame ... most had top tubes in the 56-to-57 centimeter top tube length regardless of the seat tube length.

Because of the "fixed" top tube length, the adjustment for the rider was made by using a longer or shorter stem.

If you want an alloy or carbon fiber frame, simply get a "compact" frame with a 55-to-56 centimeter top tube.

I'm also 5'9" ... and, I have frames with top tubes that range between 54cm & 57cm ... with different stem lengths (~12cm to 9cm), accordingly (with allowances for varying REACH on different handlebars).

The reason for a smaller frame is to allow for a lower stem/handlebar (of course, it doesn't have to be mounted in the "lower" position). A larger frame makes it easier to mount the stem higher (but, stems generally aren't horizontal, now, and there are hi-rise stems which can be used on smaller frames to get the same net effect as a longer seat tube).

So, the frame size is MOSTLY a cosmetic issue ...

However, what the individual who sized you should have ALSO indicated is the seat tube angle ... the seat tube angle affects the potential saddle setback to some extent.

FWIW. Between a 54cm & 56cm frame, I'd recommend the smaller of the two.

T
alfeng said:
If you want a STEEL frame (recommended!), then all you have to do is buy ALMOST ANY 70s or early 80s vintage frame ... most had top tubes in the 56-to-57 centimeter top tube length regardless of the seat tube length.

Because of the "fixed" top tube length, the adjustment for the rider was made by using a longer or shorter stem.

If you want an alloy or carbon fiber frame, simply get a "compact" frame with a 55-to-56 centimeter top tube.

I'm also 5'9" ... and, I have frames with top tubes that range between 54cm & 57cm ... with different stem lengths (~12cm to 9cm), accordingly (with allowances for varying REACH on different handlebars).

The reason for a smaller frame is to allow for a lower stem/handlebar (of course, it doesn't have to be mounted in the "lower" position). A larger frame makes it easier to mount the stem higher (but, stems generally aren't horizontal, now, and there are hi-rise stems which can be used on smaller frames to get the same net effect as a longer seat tube).

So, the frame size is MOSTLY a cosmetic issue ...

However, what the individual who sized you should have ALSO indicated is the seat tube angle ... the seat tube angle affects the potential saddle setback to some extent.

FWIW. Between a 54cm & 56cm frame, I'd recommend the smaller of the two.
Thankyou, this is the technical and informative reply I was hoping for.
Regarding your comment on vintage frames, I have really started to appreciate the classic vintage frame, I spend most of my time searching for older frames and components,. I firmly believe that frames made in the 80,s and such were really well crafted with a personal feel to them.The greatest thing is that you can find a older frame which can be converted into a single speed or just a