How do I tell handlebar diameter

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
I want to replace my handlebar, but how do I tell what size it is? Do I just measure it, or is it written somewhere?

The stem is Zoom, and the handlebar is a Profile time trial drop.

Originally posted by Walrus
I want to replace my handlebar, but how do I tell what size it is? Do I just measure it, or is it written somewhere?

It should be etched on the bar somewhere, along with the bars width, either c-to-c or o-to-o, depending on how Profile measure their bars. If you can't find it, take it to your LBS.

Measure it.

Measuring works. Keep in mind when you search for a replacement, though, that manufacturers measure in 2 or 3 different ways, which can make big difference.

Chiefly, look out for center-to-center measurements versus end-to-end or edge-to-edge measurments. With the former, the value represents the distance between imaginary dots in the CENTER of each bar-end. Edge measurements take the distance between the outermost edges of the bar drops.

Be sure you've measured your Profiles in the same method as the manufacturers of your new bar -- otherwise, you'll end up with the wrong size. Good luck.

measure it. Vernier calliper is the best method. or u can take your stem to the LBS and they can find bars that fit them.

The diameter is easy. It's either 26 something, or 31.8, assuming your bike isn't really old. Look at your bars. If it only gets a little bigger, if at all, where the stem grabs the bars, then it's 26. If it gets much bigger, then it.s 31.8. Also, 26 is about as big around as a thumb. If you look where the stem holds the bars and think, 'that'd be one big fat thumb' then you have a 31.8 most likely. Also, 31.8 is a relatively new thing, so if your bike was built say, between 1992 and about 2000, you probably have 26 something. I really only remember 31.8 being around the last two years, but some here might know for sure.

Originally posted by Bohica
The diameter is easy. It's either 26 something, or 31.8, assuming your bike isn't really old. Look at your bars. If it only gets a little bigger, if at all, where the stem grabs the bars, then it's 26. If it gets much bigger, then it.s 31.8. Also, 26 is about as big around as a thumb. If you look where the stem holds the bars and think, 'that'd be one big fat thumb' then you have a 31.8 most likely. Also, 31.8 is a relatively new thing, so if your bike was built say, between 1992 and about 2000, you probably have 26 something. I really only remember 31.8 being around the last two years, but some here might know for sure.
And what if it's a friggin mtb or hybrid bar? There is also a road size 25.8,but it's generally cross compatible with 26.0

Originally posted by boudreaux
And what if it's a friggin mtb or hybrid bar? There is also a road size 25.8,but it's generally cross compatible with 26.0

He did say in the original post that it was a Profile time trial drop bar. So it's not an MTB or Hybrid bar.

The diameter is quite often stamped on the bar in the clamp area. It's most likely 26.0 but if you can't find it marked on the bar, the best thing to do is measure with a caliper.

Originally posted by meehs
He did say in the original post that it was a Profile time trial drop bar. So it's not an MTB or Hybrid bar.

correcto. Some days it's just hard to get the brain cogs to mesh.