How do you treat your flag?

Chance3290

Oct 1, 2004
At the beginning of each cycling season one thing is certain, there will be people in the crowd waving flags of all nations. Good for them.
The thing that I don't like is seeing people:
a) waving a proper flag in front on someone as if they are fighting a bull.
b) wearing the flag like a cape.
c) having it laid out on the ground.

I can't speak for other nation's customs and flag etiquette, but I believe most try and show respect for the symbol of their nation. I don't think these people are trying to be disrespectful, I just think that they don't think.

I was wondering how other US citizens feel as well as what those of other nations.

i think that after the Americans, Scots are the most patriotic flag flyers, we fly them out of cars, house windows...we pin them up are work, tattoo them on our chest wear them as a cape when its cold and i personally fly on off my tent when camping...i have the Saltire and Lion Rampant on my mtb (the pic is on here somewhere)

i dont mind what people do with their own flag...except wipe thier ****, that goes too far..

http://www.swindontartanarmy.com/ColourTA.jpg

Chance3290 said:
At the beginning of each cycling season one thing is certain, there will be people in the crowd waving flags of all nations. Good for them.

I can't speak for other nation's customs and flag etiquette, but I believe most try and show respect for the symbol of their nation. I don't think these people are trying to be disrespectful, I just think that they don't think.

I was wondering how other US citizens feel as well as what those of other nations.

In my opinion that photo shows people displaying a flag that they are proud of. I think that's great. The US does have a etiquette for its flag and I think that its the military in me, but wearing a flag as a cape or, as Kid Rock did at a concert, wear it as a poncho is disrepectful. And I'm sure this is different in other cultures.
Now I remember that photo of the kid runnig alongside Armstrong at the 2004 Tour de Georiga. The kid was wearing the flag like a cape. I don't think he intended to be disrespectful, in fact it was probably his dad who told him to do it so he could get his picture in the paper.

the wearing a flag as a cape has a deeper meaning in the social culture in scotland. it is by no means a sign of disrespect.

pictures depict great historic heroes like Bruce, Wallace, Charles Stuart etc wearing the flag as a defence against emenies, usually english. Their countrymen will rally round against the foe, its metaphorical.

MountainPro said:
the wearing a flag as a cape has a deeper meaning in the social culture in scotland. it is by no means a sign of disrespect.

pictures depict great historic heroes like Bruce, Wallace, Charles Stuart etc wearing the flag as a defence against emenies, usually english. Their countrymen will rally round against the foe, its metaphorical.
I do remember seeing painting of such acts. Different cultures/different meanings.
Right after 9/11 people were putting US flags, with suction cups, on their cars. Of course the wind knocks them off and then there are US flags laying on the ground.
I gave one woman $5 for a flag she had tied to her rear window wiper. The poor thing was filthy and tore up. I'm sure she meant it as a sign of respect, but it didn't end up that way.

I don't get it why people are so patriotic as to wave their country's flag wherever they go. I've never waved my country's flag in my life and it seems silly to me. I just put it up on a pole above our house sometimes when there's some special occasion. I think that's where flags belong.

During our pledge at school{K-5th}the parents talk,laugh,walk around and do everything but stand still and not talk. They have gone to the district to have the Mexican flag pledge done and have there flag on the pole.

I'd say this is a case where one's motivations matter.

It bothers me less to see somebody wearing a flag like a cape than the now-common practice of using a flag to disguise a cell phone tower. In the first case the individual probably hasn't given the practice any thought but is at least displaying pride in his nationality. In the second case, the individual has made a conscious decision to use the flag for purely cosmetic and commercial purposes.

Which do you think is the more disrespectful?

These are NOT crazy religious, racist or bigoted patriotic views.

In times past where ever the Union Jack and The Stars and Stripes flew, it represented freedom with great responsibility and justice which was seen to be done and that fairly. I still hold great respect for what those ancient symbols really mean, but I hate the immoral and self destructive way we NOW live. Most people in our Anglo Saxon nations have forgotten at what cost we have gained our freedoms, and why we had them. You might laugh at what I'm saying, but look around our coutries, WHAT A MESS!!

Chance3290 said:

I agree.
I hate seeing any person with their national flag drapped over their neck and shoulders - it is disrespectful.

a lot of athletes on their lap of honour drape their national flag around them.
I don't like that.
The medal ceremony is enough - they get their flag hoisted.

Don't mean to name drop but I remember hearing Sean Kellyt say that he would never carry the Irish Tricolour because he felt that carrying the national flag was disrespectful.

One final point - I disagree with flags been flown from houses too.

limerickman said:
I agree.

One final point - I disagree with flags been flown from houses too.
Well, when I was a kid my father, a WWII vet, flew the flag on the house on special occasions, and I still do. BUT, it is treated with honor. Today, some people treat the flag like Christmas lights...keep it up all year, in all kinds of weather. That's wrong.

To me, it says something about the person. Are you aware of what your country has provided for you? Ever been somewhere that didn't have the liberties or opportunities that you have at home?

As for the champion flag wavers, I keep thinking of the Pyrenees stages of the TDF. Wall to wall orange and green... when motivated, the Basque fans can give any country a run for it's money in the flag waving department.

JohnO said:
To me, it says something about the person. Are you aware of what your country has provided for you? Ever been somewhere that didn't have the liberties or opportunities that you have at home?

To my forefathers and I, my country's flag ( Australia ) with the Union Jack in the top left corner meant freedom, a land of opportunity and a safe place to live, which many other nations have not enjoyed. What I will NEVER accept under any circumstance is those who come to my country from other places that disrespect my flag and bring their hatreds and violence here.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I cannot fathom why the U.S.A. under the claim of 'freedom of speech' will allow bigots in their country to burn their flag, I'm not highly educated but I know more about what my flag means than ALL the so-called constitutional lawyers put together.

Steve

I woudn't ever feel the need to fly a flag, wave it, wear it, burn it, turd on it. It's simply not in my nature.

I feel, as a Canadian, that I carry within me a bit of the character of my nation, and I'm proud of that; however, I feel the largest and most important part of me is my own nature, separate from nationhood. I feel very strongly about that, and I feel that's the basis of the cooperative spirit which eschews nationalistic hoopla and the myopia that goes along with that.

What I do support is the liberty to express oneself in whatever way one wishes, so long as it does not directly harm another human being. I wholeheartedly support everyone's right to treat their flag in whatever way they wish.

Catabolic_Jones said:
I woudn't ever feel the need to fly a flag, wave it, wear it, burn it, turd on it. It's simply not in my nature.

I feel, as a Canadian, that I carry within me a bit of the character of my nation, and I'm proud of that; however, I feel the largest and most important part of me is my own nature, separate from nationhood. I feel very strongly about that, and I feel that's the basis of the cooperative spirit which eschews nationalistic hoopla and the myopia that goes along with that.

What I do support is the liberty to express oneself in whatever way one wishes, so long as it does not directly harm another human being. I wholeheartedly support everyone's right to treat their flag in whatever way they wish.

And that my friend, is typical of pathetic dreamers who know nothing of true history and who think that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is acceptable, well, with views like that it's no wonder we will be paying a VERY high price for it in the future. I know my forefathers didn't give their lives for wishy washy feel good views like that!!! Hang your head in shame!!

Steve

shillito said:
And that my friend, is typical of pathetic dreamers who know nothing of true history and who think that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is acceptable, well, with views like that it's no wonder we will be paying a VERY high price for it in the future. I know my forefathers didn't give their lives for wishy washy feel good views like that!!! Hang your head in shame!!

Steve

These sort of discussions invariably end up with people taking polar opposite viewpoints

Here in the US, we are more or less free to express ourselves in whatever manner the individual sees fit. The fact that some people treat the flag disrespectfully simply shows to me that they are unaware of just how precious that liberty is, and the price that has been paid to keep it so. I lost a cousin to Vietnam, and a great uncle to a B29 crash in China.

As a longtime cyclist, I was actually rather delighted to see the many US flags that were appearing at the TDF, despite the occasionally unorthodox presentation. They meant well...

Well people do what they do. Is a flag really what a flag is suppose to be anyway? Government and the flag go together right? You'd think. The government doesn't respect the people much. So what is the purpose of the flag for? Show respect and be proud to live somewhere. Ok, I guess.
The stars and stripes, the red white and blue. Sing the song. Does it really stand for freedom anymore?
People are so proud of their country they immigrate to other countries. What does that say? They can't live where they are because there is nothing there. No business no money so they come and do what they do in a supposed free country. Act like animals. Take what ever they can. If you want to worry about disrespecting a flag how about disrespecting the natives. They could smoke the flag for all I care. The mess that people have made of the world the flags are the least of our worries. I guess we can be brain washed into thinking we need to respect a flag but we have no respect for each other.
The day that people move into the US and realize that they should be grateful to have a place like this to go. Respect americans and live like there is enough to go around instead of thinking they are still in their dog eat dog 3rd world country. This will be a great day. There should be a boot camp for newbies. Learn how to be free and play nice.

A flag is a flag to me, I don't really see anything behind what people do with it. While I can see that it's offensive to some when people treat ill of their countries flags, to me it's not that much of an issue. To be honest there are instances where I actually find it funny, for instance flag burners. They bought the flag, it's their flag, and now they are burning something they bought. Stupid really.