how long to cat 1/2 performance?

I liked HelmutRooles take. Don't over stress the numbers, diet, equipment, etc...

Go ahead and pay attention to that stuff, but never be afraid to bring it. Aggression is almost always the key to fully understanding this sport. Never be afraid of trying anything.

Counter your own attacks if nothing is happening. Wait for breaks to establish, then try and get across. Never leave anything for the sprint, 'cause the guys that are winning cat3-4-5's in bunch sprints are not usually the ones that are going to be competitive 1-2's. Imagine your learning curve, compared to the cat3-4-5's just trying to finish, or to worried about getting a top10.

I've got a number of stories of cat3's that were doing well in sprints, upgraded to cat2 and sank quickly. They were not ready. They had learned how to play it cool and calculate. What good did it do them when the P12 race was lined out at 50kph+ for an eternity.

Gotta' have something to prove in this sport, otherwise you might as well just ride centuries.

YMCA Thats an awesome post!! I remember racing in the 80's against a Michigan team with an ex soviet coach. They had this one Cat.4 who won just about every crit for two years and at one race he was announced as the Best Cat.4 in the country..... I remember thinking and still do, well-thats nothing to be proud of. I had upgraded to Cat.3 and never even competed for a win in a big Crit-always finished in the pack. I wanted to be a Cat3 or Cat.2 for the road races. I sucked at crits of course.

He was a true sandbagger just racing for money and cash primes. Not that I suppose theres anything wrong with that unless your still the "best" Cat 4 in the country for years!!

YMCA said:
. What good did it do them when the P12 race was lined out at 50kph+ for an eternity. .
I notice that at the club races here there are plenty of older guys and lower category guys mizing it up in the sprint finishes and getting good placings. They don't go in breakaways, they avoid taking turns on the front like the plague, drift to the back when the speed goes up, and then force their way nearer the front when there is a lull. These guys would have no chance in a single file 50kph+ E/1/2 race. However, their "results" seemingly show that they are up there with the better riders.

vio765 said:
i am in the kokomo area. i have ridden the mon,wed,fri rides with CIBA (smoky row elem. school). as far as i can tell, im wanting to hit the Battle Ground, St. Crispian race, all 5 of kokomo TT's, Ceraland, Hendricks crit, maybe The Great, Race, and a couple USCF races (like Carmel, Zionsville, Butler maybe). basically 5 TT's, 4 RR's, and 3 crits. give or take. as for a team, not quite sure. i looked at indiana hand center and speedway wheelmen, but still unclear at this time. i will probably ride unattached again this year and then look next fall if i think i can race Cat 3 or higher. what about you?
Where is Smoky Row Elem. School?

As for the races, I will probably be doing most of the ones that you have decided on doing as well. I won't be doing any of the TTs.

As for the team question, a couple friends of mine and I are trying to start a spoke of the International Christian Cycling Club (IC3) in Indianapolis. So, we will be racing under that flag in the next year.

IndyRider said:

As for the races, I will probably be doing most of the ones that you have decided on doing as well. I won't be doing any of the TTs.

As for the team question, a couple friends of mine and I are trying to start a spoke of the International Christian Cycling Club (IC3) in Indianapolis. So, we will be racing under that flag in the next year.
A Christian Cycling Team? Grrr....Now I have to start an atheist one too.

IndyRider said:

good luck getting the spoke started. I will be racing for the IC3 spoke in Colorado this year.

Godspeed,

JS

YMCA said:
I liked HelmutRooles take. Don't over stress the numbers, diet, equipment, etc...

Go ahead and pay attention to that stuff, but never be afraid to bring it. Aggression is almost always the key to fully understanding this sport. Never be afraid of trying anything.

Counter your own attacks if nothing is happening. Wait for breaks to establish, then try and get across. Never leave anything for the sprint, 'cause the guys that are winning cat3-4-5's in bunch sprints are not usually the ones that are going to be competitive 1-2's. Imagine your learning curve, compared to the cat3-4-5's just trying to finish, or to worried about getting a top10.

I've got a number of stories of cat3's that were doing well in sprints, upgraded to cat2 and sank quickly. They were not ready. They had learned how to play it cool and calculate. What good did it do them when the P12 race was lined out at 50kph+ for an eternity.

Gotta' have something to prove in this sport, otherwise you might as well just ride centuries.
I agree completely with this statement. As a 4 I would get in breaks left and right but usually barely finish inside the top 10. I was almost always in the top 15. The same guys, that I hadn't seen all race, would knock me around and outsprint me coming out of the last turn, EVERY RACE.

The last race weekend of the summer, I raced 4s on Saturday, and then 4s again on Sunday morning. I then came home (the race was a mile from my parent's house) and then saw that I had been approved for my upgrade. I immediately went back to the race course and registered for the 3s. Most of the guys who had stuck it to me in the sprints in the 4s got dropped like stones in the 3s, where I managed to get 3rd in a prime and get in a break for a few laps. Finished in the top 1/3rd. The smoothness and pace definitely helped me. With the pack strung out more I was able to move around much more quickly as opposed to the usual 4s pack across the entire road.

Bottom line: sprinters are favored in the 4/5s. Stronger overall riders are going to do better in the 3s and up.

IndyRider said:

Hmmmm, this team you are starting, are you planning to have info on the net? is this team adding members by request only or can people "try out"? i could be interested in this for the 2008 season. smoky row is on the north side of indy due west of st. vincent hospital. if going north on us31, turn left at that o'malia's grocery store. the school is about 2 miles west of the store. the guys that ride are usually well-equiped (its CARMEL!!!). i have heard there is a cat1 female that rides for texas roadhouse who can bury the entire group! a friend of mine rode when she was there and she was at the front the entire 23-mile ride. that is talent. let me know about the team.

BullGod said:
A Christian Cycling Team? Grrr....Now I have to start an atheist one too.
It is America. Please start whatever type of race team that you would like.

vio765 said:
Hmmmm, this team you are starting, are you planning to have info on the net? is this team adding members by request only or can people "try out"? i could be interested in this for the 2008 season. smoky row is on the north side of indy due west of st. vincent hospital. if going north on us31, turn left at that o'malia's grocery store. the school is about 2 miles west of the store. the guys that ride are usually well-equiped (its CARMEL!!!). i have heard there is a cat1 female that rides for texas roadhouse who can bury the entire group! a friend of mine rode when she was there and she was at the front the entire 23-mile ride. that is talent. let me know about the team.
The overall club site is christiancycling.com. Other than that you can pm me your email address, and I will add you to the distribution list. During the warm months(March-Novemberish), we schedule training rides throughout each week. We would love to have you join us whenever you can. There is no tryout necessary.:) Talk to you soon.

jrstevens said:
good luck getting the spoke started. I will be racing for the IC3 spoke in Colorado this year.

Godspeed,

JS
Thanks for your well wishes and good luck in CO.

IndyRider