How much does your bike cost?

All my bikes were bought used, prices are as follows:

Mid 80s Fuji Sagres road bike (bought at the Pima Comunity College Bike swap meet) $100

Specialized Crossroads Hybrid $25 (bought from the guy down the street who buys and sells storage locker contents at auction) Year unknown

1991 Serotta Colorado 2 road bike with full Campagnolo C record group ( bought 2 years ago from Bicycle Review Classifieds with 400 actual miles) $950

2001 Bianchi Grizzley Mt bike (recently bought off Ebay) $670

I enjoy riding them all without regard to price, though I do recognize a fine thing. I agree with others who afirm that it is the rider and the riding, not the price of the bike

Well I just bought a Trek 5500 DA for $3600. I road two different bikes, one with DA, one with Ultegra. Had no problems telling the difference in my 10 mile test rides. Sure they are very similar in functionality, and no, not sure the difference it worth the price, but the DA setup definately shifted smoother, mostly when stressed. I don't feel too bad spending all the cash as I've been riding my circa 1974 Colnago Super for quite a few years now and figured it I did not upgrade soon, I never would. That and cannot get parts for my warm steel riding partner of 30 years anymore. Only hope am as happy with my new partner as I have been with my old friend.

i just made a down payment on a $650 specalized alezz on saterday [well it's my bithday present] and i get to pick it up on saterday, cant wait!

Put some road "slicks" on my Bianchi Nyala mountain bike, and have been riding that for the last month. It cost me about $450 in 1995... just when RockShox were coming out... damn, that's almost a decade ago. eep!

I'm going the the LBS this week to get fitted for a Trek 1500, hopefully that'll still keep me in the >$1000 category. :rolleyes:

I own a Cannondale R600. I love it except for the components. I am currently buying DA components for it, not because its jewelry and I want to wear it around my neck, but for a better ride. I use this bike for Triathlons as well as Road Cycling. This is my first year by the way,I started out doing Triathlons and fell in love with the bike portion.

I went with a Masi Vincere instead of the Trek, mainly because my LBS didn't have the 1500 in my frame size, and the Masi came with better components.

Masi Vincere with alum frame/carbon fork, shimano 105 components, xerolite wheels, and salle seat. $1050 + tax.

It's niiiicce. :D

I paid $325 for a used Giant OCS 3. Low-end for most but a lot of money for someone whos last bike was a $39 JC Higgins 3 speed

my bike has been built from the ground up by me...its totally unique, Easton Elite frame LX/XT group and Marzocchi Bombers, I just bought a frame on sale and bought the components one by one...a similar bike in a shop would retail for about £700-800. ($1,300-1,400)

The frame is hand made and should have cost £299 but i got it on sale for £100.00

Got my mid-1980s Vitus for $375 at the Mill Valley Bike Swap last year. The seller had tripped it out with all Campy parts and DA shifters. I've added a few things to it. I love this bike. It's all white and chrome and anonymous. Rides like a dream!

Breliswell said:
I'm new, I'm old (48), I'm overweight, I love to ride, I love to talk bikes and racing, components and widgets. I look like hell in spandex. But ride, I do, ride as hard, as often, and as far as I can. Because I love the ride.

I have a Specialized Allez Comp, I get dropped by the "B" riders on a regular basis, but I show up, mount up, climb up and roll on. If my "gut" offends you or my pace, or my ride, or my fashion sense (or lack there of) then so be it. I'm not out there for any of you, I'm out there for me.
Good post!

It seems that some people think riding an older or less expensive bike makes them better than people that ride nice bikes. Kind of interesting. I guess it is a backlash against people that ride expensive bikes and think they are better than everyone else.

It all seems pretty stupid. Just ride what you have and be happy, right?

I am currently riding a Gary Fisher Tassajara with slick tires, but I am in the market for a 2001-2002 Giant TCR. I would be happy with Dura Ace, Ultegra or 105. Whatever I can get for around 1k, to support my entry into the world of Triathlons.

Where does all this hostility come from?

I ride full DA, it came stock on my TREK 5500. I'm not a pro, just a hopeful kid with an eye for art as well as a VO2 max for riding hard. The bike stock was just under $4000, but has been tricked out (+/-$1,000) to make it a mountain tamer. it's not about the price though, it's about the pleasure that it gives you. Frankly, it doesn't give me any more pleasure than my '83 Cannondale or my '79 Shogun--B.C.=before crash. I paid $300 for my cannondale and the shogun was given to me for a box of 6 cookies. It's the feeling you get while you ride that is valuable, not the equipment, but ain't nuthin' wrong with riding art if you can. I think tonight I might take out my $76 e-bay build up project--Tomasso Sicilian w/ Tiagra, 105, and Ultegra components along with that old Shogun's fork--the only salvagable piece A.D=After Dump. it ain't pretty, but we've decided that DA or Mutt Mix doesn't matter, right? I'm not trying to show off, just show up and ride with good people.

Ride on,
Jonathon

Would you take a box of Thin Mints for your Trek? I would Fed-ex them next day Air. Let me know.

Ascenda said:
Where does all this hostility come from?

I ride full DA, it came stock on my TREK 5500. I'm not a pro, just a hopeful kid with an eye for art as well as a VO2 max for riding hard. The bike stock was just under $4000, but has been tricked out (+/-$1,000) to make it a mountain tamer. it's not about the price though, it's about the pleasure that it gives you. Frankly, it doesn't give me any more pleasure than my '83 Cannondale or my '79 Shogun--B.C.=before crash. I paid $300 for my cannondale and the shogun was given to me for a box of 6 cookies. It's the feeling you get while you ride that is valuable, not the equipment, but ain't nuthin' wrong with riding art if you can. I think tonight I might take out my $76 e-bay build up project--Tomasso Sicilian w/ Tiagra, 105, and Ultegra components along with that old Shogun's fork--the only salvagable piece A.D=After Dump. it ain't pretty, but we've decided that DA or Mutt Mix doesn't matter, right? I'm not trying to show off, just show up and ride with good people.

Ride on,
Jonathon

I guess I'm on both sides of the cost fence. Paid $500 for my Cannondale 3.0 Series with Suntour components 15 years ago. Just placed my order for a 2005 Cannondale Six13 R5000 for $4900. I'm not a pro, not even close but after riding my old C-Dale for so long I can really appreciate the ride of the Six13. Tested many bikes over 4 grand but Cannondale had the best components and ride for me.

run_and_ride said:
Would you take a box of Thin Mints for your Trek? I would Fed-ex them next day Air. Let me know.
I had a girl scout offer me some tagalongs, which was easy to refuse, but thin mints...I'll think about it.

Okay, I'm done thinking. I'm going to keep the 5500, but I've got a steal of a deal for you on a *slightly* bent Shogun700. It's sitting under a porch in Alaska right now just waiting for you. I'll still take the cookies, but you can send them priority instead.

I purchased a gunnar roadie built last summer by a rec. racer. It has full ultegra and time carbon forks, easton carbon seat post. It is loaded with everything a good mid priced bike could have. I added it up and it would have cost me about $2400.00 to build. I bought it for $1175.00 it had six races and a handfull of training rides on it. So I say if you want high-end but don't want to pay search the net, and let someone else pay the big bucks first. I love my ride!! For half price.

$1,800 for a Pinarello Surprise frame with full Ultegra. I upgraded wheelset to Ksyium Elite's as well as a few other components (better fork, King Headset Ritchey WCS bar and stem), so I would say my ride would cost about $2,500 to replace as-is. I ride whenever possible and I don't have an off season (Massachusetts had a record cold January last year too). So far my bike has cost about .22 per mile. When it gets to a 10 cents a mile, It will become my b-bike then I will start ammortizing my next Pinarello (hopefully Prince SL with DA) all over again. Any bike is a good deal if it gets ridden.

:cool:

I ride a 2001 Trek 5200 US Postal edition white w/blue, it cost me about $2,300 at the time. I ride now about 5 days a week and it's the only chance that I can get away from all the stressful things in life. I put my favorite Pet Shop Boys music on the Ipod and pedal away. I wish I could quit work and ride wereever the road may take me. I have no worries when I'm one the bike so what I paid for the bike and how it makes me feel is priceless!
I know there were better deals out there but it was the bike I wanted.
I dress like a Postie and ride a Postie bike but can't ride like a Postie.
That's what makes me happy in life............
I still have my first rode bike a 1989 Specialized Allez with Suntour components. I still jump on it every now and then to compare it to my Trek.
No Comparison.

"Enjoy each ride like it may be your last"

Bryan