UK and Europe · Public discussion

How much is this worth ?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 34 posts · 1,662 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 August 2004
Last activity
21 August 2004
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,662
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–34 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    These bikes are selling at auction for about £30-£50. Are you sure it
    isnt worth the gamble ?

    In my case, I would not ride one of those bikes unless I had no other
    choice. See the recent thread on resin V brakes for more detail, but I
    would /much/ rather ride a Dutch roadster with a 3 speed hub for general
    use around London. Stronger, more reliable, less to go wrong, less
    maintenance to do, infinitely better for carrying loads, less prone to
    getting nicked, more comfortable riding position. The main reason
    they're not popular in the UK as general purpose utility bikes appears
    to be that folk here are more preoccupied with looking sporty than being
    useful.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  2. Peter Clinch said:
    Quoted message said:

    These bikes are selling at auction for about £30-£50. Are you sure it
    isnt worth the gamble ?

    In my case, I would not ride one of those bikes unless I had no other
    choice. See the recent thread on resin V brakes for more detail, but I
    would /much/ rather ride a Dutch roadster with a 3 speed hub for general
    use around London. Stronger, more reliable, less to go wrong, less
    maintenance to do, infinitely better for carrying loads, less prone to
    getting nicked, more comfortable riding position. The main reason
    they're not popular in the UK as general purpose utility bikes appears
    to be that folk here are more preoccupied with looking sporty than being
    useful.


    I was thinking the same thing myself. It may be worth my while nipping
    over to Amsterdam and bringing a few Dutch bikes (roadsters as you
    call them) back here for myself and to sell on. I assume if I take a
    van to Amsterdam there is nothing to stop me bringing back 4 or 5
    bikes ?

  3. Tumbleweed said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Jon Senior said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > maybe because you are moaning faced whingers :-)

    Yup. That'll be it. Or alternatively because your posting style is
    remarkably similar to that of the many devoid-of-clues types that appear
    from time to time.


    its the content that matters not the style. unless you are clueless of
    course.

    If you really believe that, you arent going to go very far, (off a bike at
    least :-)

    Where a bike is concerned content is far more important than style
    which is why a dutch 3-gear roadster is a far better choice than a
    Claude-Butler savage mad-dog etc etc

  4. On 20/8/04 11:00 am, in article [email hidden],

    Quoted post said:

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:17:41 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    its the content that matters not the style. unless you are clueless of
    course.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you really believe that, you arent going to go very far, (off a bike at
    least :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Where a bike is concerned content is far more important than style
    which is why a dutch 3-gear roadster is a far better choice than a
    Claude-Butler savage mad-dog etc etc

    Ahh but that is entirely a change of style. It's not the parts (the tyres,
    rims, hubs are potentially lower quality on the roadster, especially at the
    bottom end of the market, but how they are put together that matters.

    Obviously content is essential, but style is what makes the content work.

    ...d

  5. Quoted message said:
    Peter Clinch said:
    Quoted message said:

    These bikes are selling at auction for about £30-£50. Are you sure it
    isnt worth the gamble ?

    In my case, I would not ride one of those bikes unless I had no other
    choice. See the recent thread on resin V brakes for more detail, but I
    would /much/ rather ride a Dutch roadster with a 3 speed hub for general
    use around London. Stronger, more reliable, less to go wrong, less
    maintenance to do, infinitely better for carrying loads, less prone to
    getting nicked, more comfortable riding position. The main reason
    they're not popular in the UK as general purpose utility bikes appears
    to be that folk here are more preoccupied with looking sporty than being
    useful.


    I was thinking the same thing myself. It may be worth my while nipping
    over to Amsterdam and bringing a few Dutch bikes (roadsters as you
    call them) back here for myself and to sell on. I assume if I take a
    van to Amsterdam there is nothing to stop me bringing back 4 or 5
    bikes ?

    Nothing apart from the North Sea 🙂

    That's the purpose of the EU, to make things like that easy. No idea
    how much ferries cost.

    A

  6. David Martin said:

    On 20/8/04 11:00 am, in article [email hidden],

    Quoted post said:

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:17:41 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > its the content that matters not the style. unless you are clueless of
    > course.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you really believe that, you arent going to go very far, (off a bike at
    least :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Where a bike is concerned content is far more important than style
    which is why a dutch 3-gear roadster is a far better choice than a
    Claude-Butler savage mad-dog etc etc

    Ahh but that is entirely a change of style. It's not the parts (the tyres,
    rims, hubs are potentially lower quality on the roadster, especially at the
    bottom end of the market, but how they are put together that matters.

    Obviously content is essential, but style is what makes the content work.


    if you had seen the style of the savage/mad-dog you will know what i
    mean about style over content. they are hideously over stylised
    monsters although i am sure their basic content is sound and
    road-worthy.

  7. Ambrose Nankivell said:
    Quoted message said:
    Peter Clinch said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    > These bikes are selling at auction for about £30-£50. Are you sure it
    > isnt worth the gamble ?

    In my case, I would not ride one of those bikes unless I had no other
    choice. See the recent thread on resin V brakes for more detail, but I
    would /much/ rather ride a Dutch roadster with a 3 speed hub for general
    use around London. Stronger, more reliable, less to go wrong, less
    maintenance to do, infinitely better for carrying loads, less prone to
    getting nicked, more comfortable riding position. The main reason
    they're not popular in the UK as general purpose utility bikes appears
    to be that folk here are more preoccupied with looking sporty than being
    useful.


    I was thinking the same thing myself. It may be worth my while nipping
    over to Amsterdam and bringing a few Dutch bikes (roadsters as you
    call them) back here for myself and to sell on. I assume if I take a
    van to Amsterdam there is nothing to stop me bringing back 4 or 5
    bikes ?

    Nothing apart from the North Sea 🙂

    That's the purpose of the EU, to make things like that easy. No idea
    how much ferries cost.


    That is the theory in principle but you know what British customs are
    like. I am not sure if I need to pay any duty on them .

  8. Quoted message said:

    That is the theory in principle but you know what British customs are
    like. I am not sure if I need to pay any duty on them .

    If you're gonna buy a laod, might as well order them direct from the manufacturers - be
    cheaper to buy & cheaper to get 'em over here.

  9. Quoted message said:
    Ambrose Nankivell said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:20:50 +0100, Peter Clinch
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >[email hidden] wrote:
    >
    >> These bikes are selling at auction for about £30-£50. Are you sure it
    >> isnt worth the gamble ?
    >
    >In my case, I would not ride one of those bikes unless I had no other
    >choice. See the recent thread on resin V brakes for more detail, but I
    >would /much/ rather ride a Dutch roadster with a 3 speed hub for general
    >use around London. Stronger, more reliable, less to go wrong, less
    >maintenance to do, infinitely better for carrying loads, less prone to
    >getting nicked, more comfortable riding position. The main reason
    >they're not popular in the UK as general purpose utility bikes appears
    >to be that folk here are more preoccupied with looking sporty than being
    >useful.
    >
    I was thinking the same thing myself. It may be worth my while nipping
    over to Amsterdam and bringing a few Dutch bikes (roadsters as you
    call them) back here for myself and to sell on. I assume if I take a
    van to Amsterdam there is nothing to stop me bringing back 4 or 5
    bikes ?

    Nothing apart from the North Sea 🙂

    That's the purpose of the EU, to make things like that easy. No idea
    how much ferries cost.


    That is the theory in principle but you know what British customs are
    like. I am not sure if I need to pay any duty on them .

    Not since 1992. British customs are mildly idiosyncratic, but HM
    Customs & Excise are as trustworthy as it gets, IMHO. Except maybe for
    targetting of cigarette and alcohol importers, but their aim there is
    to stop the black market not to punish the public. I see the
    confusion. I'm not sure why cigarettes and alcohol must have national
    duty paid when other goods don't, but that is the case.

    A

  10. Quoted message said:

    That is the theory in principle but you know what British customs are
    like. I am not sure if I need to pay any duty on them .

    AIUI you pay any taxes, duty etc. in NL. Roos bought her recumbent
    mail order from NL and had it shipped here, all the extras beyond what
    it actually /cost/ were paid in NL.

    But if you call up HM Customs they'll tell you. These agencies are
    actually pretty helpful if you ask things in advance.

    Things to note if you intend selling a few on is (a) they're not
    actually very popular in the UK, so it might be harder than you imagine,
    (b) the default vanilla seems to be a single back pedal brake, which
    isn't really good enough in non-flat places and most UK riders aren't
    familiar with them so will be less happy with them, and (c) another
    default vanilla specification is single speed, where a 3 speed hub would
    really make more sense in London.

    But if you're just picking one up for yourself you'll get a bigger
    selection of that sort of thing by a few orders of magnitude.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  11. Peter Clinch <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : But if you're just picking one up for yourself you'll get a bigger
    : selection of that sort of thing by a few orders of magnitude.

    Cycle Heaven in York sell a good selection of Dutch roadsters if
    that's of any use.

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  12. Mark Thompson said:

    A little web search shows it to be worth about £160-200. I wouldn't touch
    front-only suspension at this price[1] let alone full suspension. The
    denizens of this ng only recommend getting full suspension as you near
    £1,000!

    Pashley-built Moultons start at about 600 of your Earth Pounds. Full
    suspension (every bike since 1962!), and thoroughly recommended (except
    by the UCI).

    Mike

  13. [email hidden said:

    "]CLAUD BUTLER SAVAGE/MADDOG DH ALLOY GENTS FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAIN
    BIKE. WITH 21 SPEED SHIMANO STI GEARS, FRONT ZOOM TRIPLE CLAMP
    SUSPENSION FORKS, QUICK RELEASE ALLOY WHEELS IN BLACK AND SILVER

    is this bike any good and how much should i pay ?

    Hi Sam

    My recommendation is that you pay nothing for this bike

    I say that because I can't judge a bike on a text description

    (For what it's worth I don't mind upper case or lower case)

    Ian

  14. "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Peter Clinch said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    > These bikes are selling at auction for about £30-£50. Are you sure it
    > isnt worth the gamble ?

    In my case, I would not ride one of those bikes unless I had no other
    choice. See the recent thread on resin V brakes for more detail, but I
    would /much/ rather ride a Dutch roadster with a 3 speed hub for


    general

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    use around London. Stronger, more reliable, less to go wrong, less
    maintenance to do, infinitely better for carrying loads, less prone to
    getting nicked, more comfortable riding position. The main reason
    they're not popular in the UK as general purpose utility bikes appears
    to be that folk here are more preoccupied with looking sporty than


    being

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    useful.


    I was thinking the same thing myself. It may be worth my while nipping
    over to Amsterdam and bringing a few Dutch bikes (roadsters as you
    call them) back here for myself and to sell on. I assume if I take a
    van to Amsterdam there is nothing to stop me bringing back 4 or 5
    bikes ?

    Nothing apart from the North Sea 🙂

    That's the purpose of the EU, to make things like that easy. No idea
    how much ferries cost.

    hundreds of millions of pounds each I would think.
    --
    Tumbleweed

    email replies not necessary but to contact use;
    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.