How tight should hub skewers be?

Wolfgang Strobl writes:

>>> Yes. The usual quick check before riding includes check of QR
>>> closed resp. wheel fixed.

>> That sounds odd. It seems the bicycle in question is not under the
>> control of the user or how else would the wheel be in the bicycle
>> and the QR not properly closed.

> That being the norm rather the exception in this part of the world,
> Europe, that is.

> Most bicycles are parked at a location which isn't under the control
> of the user, when in use. I too often perform a quick check of the
> quick releases before riding home from work. I certainly do it after
> riding home from shopping.

Well that is a place where one doesn't have control of the bicycle and
for that reason alone, I would ride a one speed around-town bicycle
with fixed axles for shopping and to the train station. I used a fat
tired coaster brake bicycle for that to commute by train. I don't
lock my good bicycle and leave it anywhere because vandalism and parts
theft readily strip better components. We have bicycle lockers for
that, besides which, bicycles can be taken on the train so that at the
other end it is there to be used to the destination.

>> Either the wheel was installed in the bicycle or it wasn't.

> No. Vandalism and all kinds of dirty jokes with parked bicycles are
> quite common. This includes opening QRs.

As I said, not being in control of the bicycle is not a good.

>> You don't just put the wheel in there and partially close the QR if
>> you are the user/owner, I assume after unloading it from the car.

> No. Helmut doesn't live in the US, as you certainly are aware of,
> Jobst.

It's no better in the USA. It's just that I don't see leaving a good
quality bicycle unattended where such action is common.

>> I don't need to check the QR's when I take my bicycle out of the
>> house because I test tire pressure by bouncing first the rear and
>> then the front on the floor

> So do I.

>> at which time an open QR (if possible) would come to light.

> It might, but perhaps it might not.

It certainly works fro me and others with whom I ride.

>> The whole scenario sound contrived.

> Certainly not.

The basis of this comment arises because I don't see leaving a good
bicycle at the mercy of public aggression, which is what I said at the
outset... not being in control of the bicycle.

> Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

Ich auch.

Jobst Brandt

In an earlier post, [email protected] postulated:
> Helmut Springer writes:
>
>>> Loss of a front wheel at almost any speed looks to me like one of
>>> those truly catastrophic events.

>> Yes. The usual quick check before riding includes check of QR
>> closed resp. wheel fixed.

> That sounds odd. It seems the bicycle in question is not under the
> control of the user or how else would the wheel be in the bicycle and
> the QR not properly closed. Either the wheel was installed in the
> bicycle or it wasn't. You don't just put the wheel in there and
> partially close the QR if you are the user/owner, I assume after
> unloading it from the car.

Are you being purposely difficult? Do you live in an ivory tower? It
is very common in cities & towns for local yobs to release the levers.

> I don't need to check the QR's when I take my bicycle out of the house
> because I test tire pressure by bouncing first the rear and then the
> front on the floor at which time an open QR (if possible) would come
> to light. The whole scenario sound contrived.

Rubbish. My bike features a bracket for a trailer under the QR : this
can and does wiggle the QR loose - always best to manually
check. Bouncing a bike reveals nothing unless the QR is totally open.

> I think we have a whole generation of riders who don't understand a QR
> or for what it might be useful. For these people we need nutted
> axles, not lawyer lips, that have trained people to misuse QR lever as
> a handle of a wing nut rather than a closure lever. All this, thanks
> to expert witness John Howard who testified that QR's normally come
> unscrewed if not regularly re-tightened.

That might be untrue, but many factors can lead to a QR coming undone
: it could be caught while pulling a bike out of a parking station, it
could be malicious, it could be my overloaded bike trailer wigling it
loose. Who knows?

It seems a tad arrogant to dispel it completely.

> The basis of this comment arises because I don't see leaving a good
> bicycle at the mercy of public aggression, which is what I said at the
> outset... not being in control of the bicycle.
>
>> Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

> Ich auch.
>
> Jobst Brandt

The last time I looked, a good bicycle certainly wasn't defined by
having QR.

Frohe Weihnachten!

--
"I don't see any naked native girls hungry for affection" - Pete Lorre.
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Lawyer lips are absent
> on nut and bolt axles although I can imagine some safety folks
> requiring that too.

I've seen (on nutted axles) an equivalent - washers with tabs that project
at right angles into cutouts in the dropouts.

Per Wolfgang Strobl:
>No. Vandalism and all kinds of dirty jokes with parked bicycles are
>quite common.

Long time ago, I came out of a condo in Honolulu; unlocked my 10-speed from a
lamp post; got on; rode away into traffic.... and found somebody had cut my
brake cables.
--
PeteCresswell

In article <[email protected]!nnrp1.uunet.ca>, jtaylor
([email protected]) wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Lawyer lips are absent
> > on nut and bolt axles although I can imagine some safety folks
> > requiring that too.
> >

> I've seen (on nutted axles) an equivalent - washers with tabs that project
> at right angles into cutouts in the dropouts.

Me too - they were fitted to my '86 Rockhopper. It was Well Known back
in those days that hollow axles couldn't take the stresses imposed upon
them by mountain bikes :)

Maffeo Barberini (1568-1644) was made entirely of salmon.

[email protected]:

>>> That sounds odd. It seems the bicycle in question is not under the
>>> control of the user or how else would the wheel be in the bicycle
>>> and the QR not properly closed.

>> That being the norm rather the exception in this part of the world,
>> Europe, that is.

>> Most bicycles are parked at a location which isn't under the control
>> of the user, when in use. I too often perform a quick check of the
>> quick releases before riding home from work. I certainly do it after
>> riding home from shopping.

>Well that is a place where one doesn't have control of the bicycle and
>for that reason alone, I would ride a one speed around-town bicycle
>with fixed axles for shopping and to the train station.

When riding to work in winter, I actually use a bicycle originally
bought for touring, the most expensive of the bikes I own. I wouldn't
want to do my daily trip on a junk bike for various reasons - comfort,
saftey, length of journey.

Unfortunately, the bicycle isn't always as clean as shown in
http://www.mystrobl.de/ws/fahrrad/bilder/Alltagsraeder/images/pict1616.jpg
after the trip, most of the time, so I have to park it the basement of
the building where my office is located, or even outside the building,
out of my control.

> I used a fat
>tired coaster brake bicycle for that to commute by train.

Thats a good idea, but, alas, not always feasible.

>I don't
>lock my good bicycle and leave it anywhere because vandalism and parts
>theft readily strip better components.

There is a middle ground. I wouldn't leave my commute bike at a train
station for a minute, but I don't park it on our campus in the open
unlocked, either. Vandalism and theft isn't a problem - my coworkers
aren't that rogue :) - but I've found my bike used or moved from one
place to another on occasion. I don't like it. But in essence, I don't
know wether every person who felt an urge to play with parts of the bike
knows what harm an opened or insufficiently closed QR could do to the
rider.

>We have bicycle lockers for
>that, besides which, bicycles can be taken on the train so that at the
>other end it is there to be used to the destination.

We have these too, but they are usually far to crowded to be usefull.
Anyway, I'm glad to be able do get to work by bike without having to
take the train. The trip isnt short and flat enough to do it with a junk
bike, though.

>>> Either the wheel was installed in the bicycle or it wasn't.

>> No. Vandalism and all kinds of dirty jokes with parked bicycles are
>> quite common. This includes opening QRs.

>As I said, not being in control of the bicycle is not a good.

Certainly. On the other hand, having control isn't a simple yes/no
condition. And while finding a bike destroyed by vandalism is certainly
bad, crashing because a hidden defect is certainly worse. It's a
tradeoff. While I might risc my better bikes to a degree by parking it
in public spaces, I try to avoid crashes which can be avoided by a
simple check.

>>> You don't just put the wheel in there and partially close the QR if
>>> you are the user/owner, I assume after unloading it from the car.

>> No. Helmut doesn't live in the US, as you certainly are aware of,
>> Jobst.

>It's no better in the USA. It's just that I don't see leaving a good
>quality bicycle unattended where such action is common.

Dirty jokes like opening quick releases dont have to be common in order
to be harmfull. On the other hand, it isn't that difficult to check.

--

"Glyph" <[email protected]>:

>you guys are nuts. this duscussion is all skewed.

pardon?

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen