How to improve recovery time.

Lance1965

May 27, 2006
I don't do any training on my recovery days and i'd like to improve my recovery time if that is possible. Does doing rides in your recovery HR zone improve your recovery time.

HGH

Lance1965 said:
I don't do any training on my recovery days and i'd like to improve my recovery time if that is possible. Does doing rides in your recovery HR zone improve your recovery time.

No I don't think recovery rides improves or shortens the recovery time. Or else, no one would see any benefit in taking a day completely off.

One of the positive impacts of recovery rides (at least for some) is that it helps staying sharp after a recovery day. Some don't like the sluggish feeling they have in their legs after a day off. The recovery ride then acts as a "stand by" function as opposed to a complete shut down.

To look at an extreme example, I have come to understand that during the TdF, all riders ride for ~3hrs on their days off in order to avoid that sluggish feeling if they dont ride.

AndROOb said:
To look at an extreme example, I have come to understand that during the TdF, all riders ride for ~3hrs on their days off in order to avoid that sluggish feeling if they dont ride.
I don't find this example extreme at all. Same principle applies here.

An other example would be planning the few couple of days prior an important race. For some, taking a day off prior the race means peaking the day *after* the race. I only need 20-30min of riding before an important day in order to make sure I'll be sharp the day after.

No really, I find that choosing to plan a recovery ride will give a different flavor to one's recovery. It's up to people to choose whether they like it or not, or to decide when it's time to prefer this strategy over a day off.

i'll throw a monkey in the wrench on this one.
i was put on to this by another rider that i race with on a weeknight.
for me the night consists of riding from work to the venue, racing, then a sizeable ride home. i ususally found that my legs were wasted in the morning...
not any more.
sleep in those Skins compression tights, and by morning, the legs are fine!

This is a bit of a spin-off but worth mentioning I feel.

Has there ever been a study done, say comparing performance for two groups, X days after a hard ride....one group having done a recovery ride in between vs. one group not having done a recovery ride?

I know the TdF was mentioned, but I'm interested in more everyday riders, and those who don't have HgH in their back pockets.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Has there ever been a study done, say comparing performance for two groups, X days after a hard ride....one group having done a recovery ride in between vs. one group not having done a recovery ride?
I am not sure.

But what I know is that coaches conduct those "non-scientific" studies every day every week all around with their "subjects".

While it belongs to the "belief-based" coaching domain, there are a lot of ground experience gathered over many decades on this topic. And more important, chances are that the result of such a study would reveal that both methods are potentially efficient, depending on the context depending on the rider.

So at the end, you'd still have to try it for yourself and make your own idea.

Lance1965 said:

recovery really helps me. at least one easy long ride every third day seems to work for me.
Its sooo important to eat immediately if you can after a heavy workout. I make a shaker and put extra scoops in than what they call for of my post-workout drink. I notice a huge difference in my own performance the next day if I eat a lot right away after a hard workout.

"Gentle" rides on your non-training days can help the body adapt to using lactic acid as a fuel. This is provided that your training days are intense to the point of anaerboic debt in the muscles which produces lactic acid.

A few days off before a race is always a good idea to allow the muscles full rebuild and recovery time.

SolarEnergy said:
I am not sure.

But what I know is that coaches conduct those "non-scientific" studies every day every week all around with their "subjects".

While it belongs to the "belief-based" coaching domain, there are a lot of ground experience gathered over many decades on this topic. And more important, chances are that the result of such a study would reveal that both methods are potentially efficient, depending on the context depending on the rider.

So at the end, you'd still have to try it for yourself and make your own idea.
Hi :)

Valid points you make, where the proof is in one's own figurative pudding (riding).

I'm apt to do it at some point....say do a hard ride with some L4 work on a saturday, then do a recovery ride on sunday, followed by an FTP test say on tuesday/wed VS. the same sans the recovery ride.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Hi :)

Valid points you make, where the proof is in one's own figurative pudding (riding).

I'm apt to do it at some point....say do a hard ride with some L4 work on a saturday, then do a recovery ride on sunday, followed by an FTP test say on tuesday/wed VS. the same sans the recovery ride.
Why did you write 'sans'? Do you speak french or is it an english language twist?

Anyway. That's an interesting example here. And I like the fact that your statement occurs over half a week. To me, a single workout doesn't mean much. It's just a word in a sentence.

As far as I am concerned, I'd expect to do better on the test, with the recovery ride.

I feel (more than I understand) training like some bounces we have to do from one important workout to the other. I'd expect (at least for myself) to be able to bounce better by doing L4/L1/off/Test, than L4/off/off/Test. That just makes me feel safer that my legs feel great during the test.

And depending on what was before saturday's workout, depending on the level of accute fatigue I'm carrying, I might even respond better with L4/L2/off/Test. That's because I run out of breath quite easily during a 60min test. And I donno, I just feel a touch of L2 two days before the test might help.

But that's me. I consider any other combination as potentially winning too.

sig220 said:
"Gentle" rides on your non-training days can help the body adapt to using lactic acid as a fuel. This is provided that your training days are intense to the point of anaerboic debt in the muscles which produces lactic acid.
lactic acid is a fuel for muscles, so it does not need to adapt to using it.
as for a full recovery - muscles need a full 36hrs. (well, they used to)

Archibald said:
sleep in those Skins compression tights, and by morning, the legs are fine!
Would the shorts version be sufficient or full length to cover the calves too?
confused.gif

With summer comming up I prefer to wear shorts during the day, I ride mainly in the mornings. I've been tossing up between the two. I use full length for snowsports.

Adaptation is needed for optimum use of lactic acid.

Experimental data shows that a "hard (anaerobic)" day followed by a "easy" day over the course of a number of weeks increases the efficiency of the use of lactic acid.

SolarEnergy said:
Why did you write 'sans'? Do you speak french or is it an english language twist?

Anyway. That's an interesting example here. And I like the fact that your statement occurs over half a week. To me, a single workout doesn't mean much. It's just a word in a sentence.

As far as I am concerned, I'd expect to do better on the test, with the recovery ride.

I feel (more than I understand) training like some bounces we have to do from one important workout to the other. I'd expect (at least for myself) to be able to bounce better by doing L4/L1/off/Test, than L4/off/off/Test. That just makes me feel safer that my legs feel great during the test.

And depending on what was before saturday's workout, depending on the level of accute fatigue I'm carrying, I might even respond better with L4/L2/off/Test. That's because I run out of breath quite easily during a 60min test. And I donno, I just feel a touch of L2 two days before the test might help.

But that's me. I consider any other combination as potentially winning too.
French? Bien sûr.

So you would prefer L4/L1/off/Test - hmmm, ok. I'm curious about the results and am tenatively thinking of doing the first leg of this little experiment next weekend. My intuition tells me that being totally off the bike for several days might work against me. We'll see.

sig220 said:
Adaptation is needed for optimum use of lactic acid.

Experimental data shows that a "hard (anaerobic)" day followed by a "easy" day over the course of a number of weeks increases the efficiency of the use of lactic acid.
Would you be able to provide a link toward this data?

I am not arguing at all, but I can't see how what one does the day after a hard anaerobic day can influance the way one metabolizes lactate :confused: