HPVelotechnik Wavey

Status
Not open for further replies.

watsonglenn

Apr 24, 2003
I am in the market for a SWB bike. I want to ride with friends and be able to keep up. Would the HPVelotechnik Wavey be a good choice. I saw one for sale for $600.00. I have tested an EZ and loved the feel but I wanted something a bit faster. Any advice. I'm 6'0."

There are some extreme angles to the bike. I would suggest a RANS Rocket or a RANS Tailwind if you want dual 20" wheels or even the Cycle Genius.

Derek

Originally posted by watsonglenn
I am in the market for a SWB bike. I want to ride with friends and be able to keep up. Would the HPVelotechnik Wavey be a good choice. I saw one for sale for $600.00. I have tested an EZ and loved the feel but I wanted something a bit faster. Any advice. I'm 6'0."

bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in news:3ea93177$2_1 @news.chariot.net.au:

> watsonglenn wrote:
> > I am in the market for a SWB bike. I want to ride with friends and be able to keep up. Would
> > the HPVelotechnik Wavey be a good choice. I saw one for sale for $600.00. I have tested an EZ
> > and loved the feel but I wanted something a bit faster. Any advice. I'm 6'0."
>
> There are some extreme angles to the bike. I would suggest a RANS Rocket or a RANS Tailwind if you
> want dual 20" wheels or even the Cycle Genius.
>
> Derek
>
>
>
>
> --
>>--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
>

And extreme angles are bad because ..................?

Originally posted by Mlb
And extreme angles are bad because ..................?

Extreme angles are not bad. I did not state that they were bad either. Extreme angles can be very daunting for some new riders, that's all.

The poster should log some good ride time on different bents before deciding one is definitely what they want. There may be another that fits them better. The poster had ridden an EZ. That has a very low crank. The feel will be quite different on a Wavey.

Derek

Thanks for the advice. There are no cycle shops in the area that sell good recumbents so I am dependant on the net. I saw a used Trek R200 for sale at a good price, $500. Would that be a nice beginner bike? I would rather have the USS but they always seem to be more expensive. I am confidant I have the balance to ride just about anything in time.

In my opinion, the Trek recumbent is a better bike for a beginner. Don't get me wrong, HP Velotechnik makes a fine product, but I think that the Trek is a very fine bike. I do not think that you would outgrow it as fast as the Wavey.

Derek

Originally posted by watsonglenn
Thanks for the advice. There are no cycle shops in the area that sell good recumbents so I am dependant on the net. I saw a used Trek R200 for sale at a good price, $500. Would that be a nice beginner bike? I would rather have the USS but they always seem to be more expensive. I am confidant I have the balance to ride just about anything in time.

The "extreme angles" may make the bike more difficult to get used to but I think it will perform
better. The Wavey looks like an excellent deal but I don't know much about the bike only that the
other bikes by HPVelotechnik are very well regarded. Craig "extreme angled" Optima Baron MLB
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in news:3ea93177$2_1 @news.chariot.net.au:
>
> > watsonglenn wrote:
> > > I am in the market for a SWB bike. I want to ride with friends and be able to keep up. Would
> > > the HPVelotechnik Wavey be a good choice. I saw one for sale for $600.00. I have tested an EZ
> > > and loved the feel but I wanted something a bit faster. Any advice. I'm 6'0."
> >
> > There are some extreme angles to the bike. I would suggest a RANS Rocket or a RANS Tailwind if
> > you want dual 20" wheels or even the Cycle Genius.
> >
> > Derek
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >>--------------------------<
> > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
> >
>
> And extreme angles are bad because ..................?

Not sure if the Wavey should be your choice if you want something "fast".- it weighs 34.5 lbs.
according to the Web site. If you loved the EZ, why not an EZ Sport LE?

Cheers, Barry

"watsonglenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am in the market for a SWB bike. I want to ride with friends and be able to keep up. Would the
> HPVelotechnik Wavey be a good choice. I saw one for sale for $600.00. I have tested an EZ and
> loved the feel but I wanted something a bit faster. Any advice. I'm 6'0."
>
>
>
> --
> >--------------------------<

I wouldn't call it extreme, extreme is a 6-8" BB to seat height difference, this is approx. 2"
depending on seat height. Then again, performance and speed come with a price and trade off. Not be
prejudice here because i'm selling it, just my experience from riding bents for 15+ years, at the
price i'm selling it at, it's not going to make or break me, but is a good deal for someone looking
for a bike that can tour [it's wired for lights] commute, and fast ride on. IMHO only!

bentcruiser wrote:
> Mlb wrote:
> > And extreme angles are bad because ..................?
>
>
>
> Extreme angles are not bad. I did not state that they were bad either. Extreme angles can be very
> daunting for some new riders, that's all.
>
> The poster should log some good ride time on different bents before deciding one is definitely
> what they want. There may be another that fits them better. The poster had ridden an EZ. That has
> a very low crank. The feel will be quite different on a Wavey.
>
> Derek
>
>
>
> --
>
>

I've owned Trek recumbent, that's a good price. Trek seat height is much higher, BB is lower, which
is a personal preference thing. Trek has nice components, mid gear is problematic and robs some
efficiency. Wavey will be typically 2-3 MPH faster at the same given out put of power. I'll knock
50.00 off the wavey price if it would make you feel better :)

bentcruiser wrote:
> watsonglenn wrote:
> > Thanks for the advice. There are no cycle shops in the area that sell good recumbents so I am
> > dependant on the net. I saw a used Trek R200 for sale at a good price, $500. Would that be a
> > nice beginner bike? I would rather have the USS but they always seem to be more expensive. I
> > am confidant I have the balance to ride just about anything in time.
>
> In my opinion, the Trek recumbent is a better bike for a beginner. Don't get me wrong, HP
> Velotechnik makes a fine product, but I think that the Trek is a very fine bike. I do not think
> that you would outgrow it as fast as the Wavey.
>
> Derek
>
>
>
>
> --
>
>

the one I have has a solid front fork, weighs 29lb mostly do the sachs hub.

BarryG wrote:
> Not sure if the Wavey should be your choice if you want something "fast".- it weighs 34.5 lbs.
> according to the Web site. If you loved the EZ, why not an EZ Sport LE?
>
> Cheers, Barry
>
> "watsonglenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I am in the market for a SWB bike. I want to ride with friends and be able to keep up. Would the
>>HPVelotechnik Wavey be a good choice. I saw one for sale for $600.00. I have tested an EZ and
>>loved the feel but I wanted something a bit faster. Any advice. I'm 6'0."
>>
>>
>>
>>--
>>
>>>--------------------------<
>>
>>Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
>

bentbiker wrote:
>
> I wouldn't call it extreme, extreme is a 6-8" BB to seat height difference...

A 6 inch (~15 cm) difference between seat and BB height is moderate in my opinion. Extreme is more
than a 12 inch (~30 cm) difference, such as a Dual ISO 406-mm wheel Wishbone RT. [1]

[1] < http://www.liegeradinfo.de/wisbone2.jpg >

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

that is exteme Tom, I guess it's all in the perception. The wishbone I had with a custom OE mesh
seat, was about 6" difference, and I couldn't handle that, bothered my legs, I can go up to about
3", then I have deminishing gains, I ride slower over distance due to leg fatigue. Some people can't
handle a Vision type BB height, some love the lowracer heights. It's takes all types eh?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> bentbiker wrote:
>
>>I wouldn't call it extreme, extreme is a 6-8" BB to seat height difference...
>
>
> A 6 inch (~15 cm) difference between seat and BB height is moderate in my opinion. Extreme is more
> than a 12 inch (~30 cm) difference, such as a Dual ISO 406-mm wheel Wishbone RT. [1]
>
> [1] < http://www.liegeradinfo.de/wisbone2.jpg >
>
> Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

I just happen to have an EZ Sprt LTD for sale...less than 500 miles, blue/silver $800. "BarryG" <bg
at albany.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Not sure if the Wavey should be your choice if you want something "fast".- it weighs 34.5 lbs.
> according to the Web site. If you loved the EZ, why
not
> an EZ Sport LE?
>
> Cheers, Barry
>
> "watsonglenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am in the market for a SWB bike. I want to ride with friends and be able to keep up. Would the
> > HPVelotechnik Wavey be a good choice. I saw one for sale for $600.00. I have tested an EZ and
> > loved the feel but I wanted something a bit faster. Any advice. I'm 6'0."
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > >--------------------------<
> > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

"BarryG" <bg at albany.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> according to the Web site. If you loved the EZ, why not an EZ Sport LE?
>
> Cheers, Barry

Well 34.5 lbs. is really not heavy for a recumbent. Think about it. The Wavy has similiar geometry
to the new breed of highracers. High BB that puts your feet, legs, etc. in the "shadow" of your
torso. This makes the bike very aero in addition to the superior power generation from the higher
BB. Superior aerodynamics makes a recumbent generally faster than a standard bike or a recumbent
with low BB's. Weight is not so much of an issue at the higher speeds where wind resistance is the
more important factor.

The EZ Sport as well as the EZ Sport LE are excellent bikes but are both HEAVIER than the Wavey
and probably not as efficient. They are however very "friendly" and easy to ride. Nothing wrong
with that.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Extreme is having the bottom bracket directly beneath your seat. Fortunately, that's left to DFs.

--
David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) Merritt Island, Florida USA

I made an offer on the Trek at $555.00 total shipping and handling. I am sending him half the money then he sends the bike then I send the other half. I hope it works out.

i would have done that same deal for you! AND you could have used www.paypal.com for free, and had
insurance on the whole transaction. good luck with your purchase, ride on!

watsonglenn wrote:
> I made an offer on the Trek at $555.00 total shipping and handling. I am sending him half the
> money then he sends the bike then I send the other half. I hope it works out.
>
>
>
> --
>
>

On 26-Apr-2003, "David Luecke" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Extreme is having the bottom bracket directly beneath your seat. Fortunately, that's left to DFs.

Very extreme is having the bottom bracket above the seat, your basic bondage upright. Some where
about the horizon is a good placement for a bottom bracket, i guess... Daniel

watsonglenn <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I want to ride with friends and be able to keep up.

The choice of bike would depend partly on how fast your friends are !!

> Would the HPVelotechnik Wavey be a good choice.

I would suggest only if your friends are gentle riders or you are fit enough to keep the
Wavey going.

> I saw one for sale for $600.00. I have tested an EZ and loved the feel but I wanted something a
> bit faster. Any advice. I'm 6'0."

The Wavey was the first bent I ever rode (I am living in Germany so it is a local machine for me). I
only rode it round a cobbled courtyard but I had no problems riding it. It was easier to ride than
the PDQ that I bought later. The problem for me was knees interfering with the handlebars (I am
6'1"). I could see no way of adjusting the bars, and the shop people were not very helpful. In the
end I bought a PDQ mail-order.

So if you thank the Wavey is for you, first get a test ride, or at least check that the handlebars
are adjustable vertically (the one I rode was 3 or 4 years ago).

In general I think the Wavey is a good bike, especially at the price, if you want a relaxed ride.
And being a German bike things like luggage rack, lights, mudguards (fenders) are sorted out (and
included in the price).

Regards, Simon

http://home.arcor.de/zoxed

Status
Not open for further replies.