HRM/Cyclometer

treker88

Jul 30, 2005
Im looking to purchase a HRM/Cyclometer and was wondering what you guys have tried and if you liked the product.

treker88 said:
any suggestions would be great looking for something somewhat basic
I'm looking to get one this week, possibly today at ****'s Sporting Goods. Cat Eye seems to make a wide variety of computers that have good features without going over the top.

I'm either going with the Astrale 8 or the Micro Wireless. The biggest hang up for me is whether I want the information coming from the rear wheel in case I eventually get a trainer and use it indoors. From reading this forum that usually is not the selling point for most. I just want basic features such as elapsed time, distance, speed, avg. speed, etc.

If someone could guarantee me that the Micro Wireless can transmit info from the rear wheel in controlled conditions (a basement), then I'm all over that.

Both these can be had for $40 or less.

Cat Eye has a nice, well laid out website with good information. Be sure to check it out.

Thanks for the info. i am looking for something with at least Target Heart rate zone alarms, elapsed time in target zones, Avg/max/min HR per trip, Total Time, Stopwatch, Clock, Distance traveled, odometer, avg/max speed, Cadence. Thanks

How is the polar 720I?

I'm also thinking about going for one..
Performancebike.com , has a Polar S150 Heart Rate Monitor for only $80 + shipping. It has good cycle computer functions.... and good HR functions. A good balance... at a inexpensive price.. plus its Polar ;)

I went against what I said and sprung for something different.

I was sure I was going to purchase the Micro and a Timex HRM, which would have totalled about $90. Instead I decided to purchase a Polar HRM with cycling abilities (the s150). I wasn't looking for a wide range of cycle functions. What I really desired, from a beginner standpoint, was time, distance and speed functions (avg/current/max). The heart rate monitoring was also important. I've never done it before but now I guess I'll be able to tell how far I'm exerting myself and if I can push harder or when I can take it easy.

Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow (Friday) and will be able to take some test runs this weekend. I also run quite often so I'll do the proverbial killing of two birds.

AdamB5000 said:
I went against what I said and sprung for something different.

I was sure I was going to purchase the Micro and a Timex HRM, which would have totalled about $90. Instead I decided to purchase a Polar HRM with cycling abilities (the s150). I wasn't looking for a wide range of cycle functions. What I really desired, from a beginner standpoint, was time, distance and speed functions (avg/current/max). The heart rate monitoring was also important. I've never done it before but now I guess I'll be able to tell how far I'm exerting myself and if I can push harder or when I can take it easy.

Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow (Friday) and will be able to take some test runs this weekend. I also run quite often so I'll do the proverbial killing of two birds.

Nice Job !!!
Please post back here, once you've used it..... and let us know how you like it !

Got the thing today. I'm going to do a run now (instead of a ride) and install the rest of the unit to my bike tonight. Initially this was confusing, as I can usually figure most electronic devices out without touching the instructions, but after a quick read of the manual (which is a bit scattered and could be layed out slighty better), I got the time/day/etc. set and understand how to begin recording my heart rate and overall time and lap times. I didn't yet bother looking at how to retrieve my information, but for now I just want to get it in use and see how it goes from here.

I'll give it a week on my wrist and bike and let you know what I think.

AdamB5000 said:
Got the thing today. I'm going to do a run now (instead of a ride) and install the rest of the unit to my bike tonight. Initially this was confusing, as I can usually figure most electronic devices out without touching the instructions, but after a quick read of the manual (which is a bit scattered and could be layed out slighty better), I got the time/day/etc. set and understand how to begin recording my heart rate and overall time and lap times. I didn't yet bother looking at how to retrieve my information, but for now I just want to get it in use and see how it goes from here.

I'll give it a week on my wrist and bike and let you know what I think.

Thanks for letting us know Adam ~!!!!

If you're looking for a decent HRM/computer, try SUPERGO. They have a wireless model for about $35.

The Astrale 8 is a good cyclocomputer that has cadence and its rear wheel mounted, so I can use it on the trainer while I'm watching TV in the garage.

I did a run last night using the basic features. I ran at a local high school track. I kept track of total time, lap times and heart rate data.

After the run I was able to review my total time, splits at each lap, individual lap times, end heart rate for each lap, and avg. heart rate for each lap. It wasn't too hard to access after taking a quick look at the manual.

One thing I need to personally look at is what heart rate I should be at while working out. My heart rate was at 170+ by lap two (of 12 total). I tried backing off slightly and my heart rate never dropped below 165, despite my laps times falling from about 2 min to 2:20+. I sprinted my final lap and turned in a 1:42 with a max HR of 190. Total 12 lap time was 26:23.

Any idea if I'm pushing my HR too high? I was in the 4th lane of a standard 400m track.

I hooked up the HRM to the cycle last night. It was my first time doing so and it was a slight PITA. After getting it physically installed, I had to reseat the monitor on the bracket many times before I could get a speed display. Even after I got a speed display, it would go back to 0 after a few seconds, like it came out of contact. I finally got it consistantly giving me feedback, but I'll be able to give it a true test today. I'll do about a 10 mile ride on Pennsylvania roads. That'll really determine if it'll stay put and not lose contact with the base.

AdamB5000 said:
I did a run last night using the basic features. I ran at a local high school track. I kept track of total time, lap times and heart rate data.

After the run I was able to review my total time, splits at each lap, individual lap times, end heart rate for each lap, and avg. heart rate for each lap. It wasn't too hard to access after taking a quick look at the manual.

One thing I need to personally look at is what heart rate I should be at while working out. My heart rate was at 170+ by lap two (of 12 total). I tried backing off slightly and my heart rate never dropped below 165, despite my laps times falling from about 2 min to 2:20+. I sprinted my final lap and turned in a 1:42 with a max HR of 190. Total 12 lap time was 26:23.

Any idea if I'm pushing my HR too high? I was in the 4th lane of a standard 400m track.

I hooked up the HRM to the cycle last night. It was my first time doing so and it was a slight PITA. After getting it physically installed, I had to reseat the monitor on the bracket many times before I could get a speed display. Even after I got a speed display, it would go back to 0 after a few seconds, like it came out of contact. I finally got it consistantly giving me feedback, but I'll be able to give it a true test today. I'll do about a 10 mile ride on Pennsylvania roads. That'll really determine if it'll stay put and not lose contact with the base.

There are several HR training zones that can be used to focus your workouts on building endurance, anaerobic (or lactate) threshold, VO2 max, recovery, etc.... that depend on your individual max HR and level of fitness. A HR of 165 for a 3 mile run for you may be too high, to low, or just right depending on what you are trying to achieve in the workout. Probably too high for a recovery day, maybe just right for VO2 max building, again depending on you level of fitness and your training goals.

There are several good books for beginners about using heart rate monitors in your training. Look for books by Sally Edwards or Edmund Burke as basic starting points. If you really want to get sophisticated, get Peter Janssen's book on Lactate Threshold training. Alternatively, find an athletic trainer or coach that has experience with training endurance athletes using HR thresholds.

As an aside, you will find that it is generally much easier to keep your HR up (or harder to get it down) while running as compared to cycling. No coasting when running.

A HRM is a great addition to your training if used correctly. Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into one of those books. I personally don't think my endurance is anything to write home about and I'd like to improve upon it. I've been into fitness for a couple years but have only recently gotten more serious about it.

That said, I took a cycle ride today with my S150 attached. Not much to say other than I thought I had it strapped down well and about a quarter of the way into my ride I noticed that it was not keeping speed. I'd try to re-seat it and it'd work for a very short period and then cut out again (back to 0.0 km/h).

Tomorrow I'll try to seat it more securely and see how it works out. Other than this (hopefully) little problem the HRMonitoring stuff seemed to work fine.

I have been interested in getting a Polar hr monitor and have been reading up on them. I’ve read a common problem with the 150 is it loses its speed while riding.

I though the bike mount was only to strap the watch onto and hold it in place.

Is the bike mount more than a holder for the watch ?.

I read one member solved this problem by putting a wooden dowel between the watch strap and bike mount. Is this a common problem with the 720i also.

Thanks Alex

Alex Conrath said:
I have been interested in getting a Polar hr monitor and have been reading up on them. I’ve read a common problem with the 150 is it loses its speed while riding.

I though the bike mount was only to strap the watch onto and hold it in place.

Is the bike mount more than a holder for the watch ?.

I read one member solved this problem by putting a wooden dowel between the watch strap and bike mount. Is this a common problem with the 720i also.

Thanks Alex
I own the S150. It is a great value at $90. The bike mount serves 2 purposes. One to hold the watch on the handlebar, duh. And two there are sensors on the mount for the data input from the front wheel sensor.

When I first got it I was losing speed also but figured out that the sensor on the mount was not making good contact with the sensor piece on the back of the watch. When that happens you lose all cycling related data. the simple fix is to tighten the watch strap down as much as possible to the mount.

I still lose speed from time to time typically on bumpy roads in which case simply pressing down on the watch face restores contact between the sensors. It really doesn't act up much once you get it cinched down well. Also, I don't use the watch for other purposes so it stays on the bike mount all the time.

James

Alex Conrath said:
Is this a common problem with the 720i also.

Thanks Alex
the s720i uses wireless speed sensors, the s150 is hardwired and the back of the watch requires a COMPLETE contact with the bike mount. the s720i wireless sensor sends a signal. so it does not happen with the s720i. unless of course you are using the Power output kit. in which case its the same deal.it needs full contact.