hub gear (nexus 7 in particular) nuts on axle

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Panda, Feb 19, 2003.

  1. Panda

    Panda Guest

    i kept having problems with the chain on my bike with it being bounced off. I took a link out in
    order to tension it, and moved the wheel further forward. however.....there is a "keyed" nut (ie it
    has a knob that slots into the axle slots) that seems to perform the function of stopping the axle
    spinning (there is a flat spot on the axle sides). is this its purpose. is it ok that instead of the
    noble facing rearwards it nows faces forward.

    many thanks

    panda

    --
    change "net" to "uk"

    Tags:

  2. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    "panda" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > i kept having problems with the chain on my bike with it being bounced off. I took a link out in
    > order to tension it, and moved the wheel further forward. however.....there is a "keyed" nut (ie
    > it has a knob that slots into the axle slots) that seems to perform the function of stopping the
    > axle spinning (there is a flat spot on the axle sides). is this its purpose. is it ok that instead
    > of the noble facing rearwards it nows faces forward.

    It's a washer, and it is very important that it hold the axle firmly against rotating in the
    dropout. There should be two, one per side.

    If your dropout is not so feeble as to bend open under the torque, then there is no particular
    reason not to run the tabbed washers whichever way they fit best.

    Chalo Colina