In article <[email hidden]>, Jeff Starr
Quoted message said:My own plan for upgrades, in this order, budget permiting, will be:
What, no carbon fiber!? No Ti? A real gear geek's got to have advanced materials!
Quoted message said:Tires - from IRC Redstorm Classic to Conti Ultra Gatorskins 700x25c
Tires are consumeables. Gatorskins are good but a little heavy. I run one on the back and a normal
tire on the front.
Quoted message said:Crankset - Tiagra 52-42-30 to Dura-Ace 53-39-30 & Ultegra bottom bracket
The only reason to get the DA triple is if you absolutely must have a 53-39 combo. Otherwise the
Ultegra or 105 triple crank is better, since it uses normal BCDs and allows a much wider range of
chainrings.
The DA triple BB is identical in design to the Ultegra one... it's not like the DA double that needs
attention more often.
Quoted message said:Cassette - Ultegra 25-14 to Ultegra 23-13 [same time as crankset]
With that tight a cassette you could instead use a 110mm BCD double crank with 36-5x rings and a
12-26 rear to get the same low gear with better shifting, less weight and less expense.
Quoted message said:Wheelset - Matrix Aurora w/Front:aluminum, Rear:Tiagra Hubs to ??? If I have wheels built, then
I definitely want Dura-Ace hubs. If prebuilt, I am interested in the Mavic Cosmos Elite or Excel
Sports Cirrus. But i would like lightness and the best possible hubs, so I have a lot of
research to do.
I'd recommend a handlbuilt set of "normal" wheels on DA or Ultegra hubs. Cheaper, often lighter than
the botique wheel, and often more durable (but not always; I have a set of Shimano R535s that are
bombroof but they weigh a ton!)
I've got a rear wheel built by Excel (Ritchey WCS rim on ultegra) that's pretty light for a
"training" wheel and has been durable.
Quoted message said:Computer - CatEye Astrale 8 to Shimano Flightdeck [Astrale 8 works just fine, I would like to know
what gear I am in, hence the Flightdeck - no hurry]
You can get a $5 small tubular gizmo that the shift cable goes through. It's got a red ball to
indicate the gear. Cheaper than Flite Deck and leaves room on your bars for your HRM.
Don't look here unless you want to lose your soul: weightweenies.starbike.comlistings.phpOpen ↗
Eric