I got Pulled Over for 2 Tickets today!? (On my Bike!)

MaxPrime

Jul 20, 2003
Some A$$hole campus cop nearly ran me into a parked car trying to "pull me over" because I had my headphones on. He got me for speeding - 31 in a 15 and running a stop sign. He realized he couldn't give me a ticket so he gave me a written warning for each - what a tool!

Anyone else been pulled over?

In case nobody realized it - I was on my bike for all this!

MaxPrime said:
Some A$$hole campus cop nearly ran me into a parked car trying to "pull me over" because I had my headphones on. He got me for speeding - 31 in a 15 and running a stop sign. He realized he couldn't give me a ticket so he gave me a written warning for each - what a tool!

Frame It!!!

Salsa Rider said:
I think the key detail is "campus cop".
yes, campus cop = no athority, i would laugh at him. what a tool.. the lowest form of security.. HAHAHAHAHA, you should have blown your nose with his "warning"

nismo driver said:
yes, campus cop = no athority, i would laugh at him. what a tool.. the lowest form of security.. HAHAHAHAHA, you should have blown your nose with his "warning"
Well let's see:
Riding with headphones=illegal
Speeding=illegal
Running stop sign=illegal
Bikers have to pay attention to the road rules just like car drivers, it's people like you who throw the rules out the door then get upset about being caught that give cyclists a bad name. Try looking up your local bike laws, you might be surprised. You are lucky it wasn't a real cop or you'd have a hefty fine to pay.

larue said:
Well let's see:
Speeding=illegal
Bikers have to pay attention to the road rules just like car drivers, it's people like you who throw the rules out the door then get upset about being caught that give cyclists a bad name. Try looking up your local bike laws, you might be surprised. You are lucky it wasn't a real cop or you'd have a hefty fine to pay.

Nicely said larue,,,,Don't break the rules then ***** about it when you get caught. Plus, 31 in a 15 is a little excessive, especially on a school campus. Your lucky a car wasn't coming through the stop sign in the other direction that could have taken you out.

larue said:
You are lucky it wasn't a real cop or you'd have a hefty fine to pay.
my whole point is that it wasnt a real cop. last time i checked cyclist didnt have a bad name, i thought that was skate boarders?

honestly none of us were there so we dont know the exact scene of the crime or the pedistrian / car activity at the time, how ever campus's can have random piointless stop signs, all way stops ect. if your on a bicycle and can clearly see that the only person around is a campus security car and hes sitting on the side of the road tehn whats the big deal about running the sign? the security tool proably put more people at risk driving his car irratically attemping to pull him over then someone on a bike speeding through a stop sign.

what if he was on a mountain bike and hopped the curb cut across some grass (avoiding the stop sign) then hopped back on the road? then technically he didnt run the stop sign, would you tell him he got what he deserved and he was wrong?

there are certain situations where law enforcement is excessive and unnecessary particularly in the case of bicycles. speeding on a bike? give me a break, a bike weighs maybe 200 lbs with the rider, and can stop much much faster from 30 mph than car 3500lb car.

nismo driver said:
my whole point is that it wasnt a real cop . . . speeding on a bike? give me a break, a bike weighs maybe 200 lbs with the rider, and can stop much much faster from 30 mph than car 3500lb car.

FYI ... very often "campus cops" are actually better trained than your regular city cops because the University can afford it, and in the case here on our campus, the PD floats between three different locations and therefore have similar authority to that of the State Police and Sheriff's office.

As for Bikes speeding . . . that's like saying because it doesn't have a motor it isn't dangerious. 200 lbs of flesh and metal slamming into a co-ed will make for a nasty mess. If you want respect when you are on the road, you have to earn it and part of doing that is playing by the rules. If a car was doing 31 in a 15 zone in front of you home, and blew through a stop sign I'm sure you'd be ******.

Why for the love of god is riding with headphones illegal?
Youre politicans actualy spent time debating this issue also.. jesus..
what a system.

larue said:
Well let's see:
Speeding=illegal

Theory is that it blocks out/intereferes with traffic noise. Of course, an argument could be made that radios, loud music, and children (can) do that in a car.

In response to MaxPrime

Sounds like you have come down with a rare strain of ROAD RAGE:p

Would anyone like to add anything else?

Indeed that argument could be made.. by any logical human with half a brain...
Shame that we gave such a responiblity to politicans.

keydates said:
Theory is that it blocks out/intereferes with traffic noise. Of course, an argument could be made that radios, loud music, and children (can) do that in a car.

Oh you had better not break the rules, you may get in trouble. . . :eek:

I hope you were wearing a full face helmet, padding on your knees, elbows and bottom because you could get hurt. Oh my, on second thoughts, you had better just sit at home and never leave coz there are just so many laws.

Jeesh, some of you are so Anally retentive. :confused:

Oh, Ratty, he was most likely just jealous of those legs....

You should try to understand what a devestating effect your thighs may have on an insecure male.

S

Ratty said:
Oh you had better not break the rules, you may get in trouble. . . :eek:

I hope you were wearing a full face helmet, padding on your knees, elbows and bottom because you could get hurt. Oh my, on second thoughts, you had better just sit at home and never leave coz there are just so many laws.

Jeesh, some of you are so Anally retentive. :confused:

MaxPrime said:

We (most of us) don't get to make the rules, we are required to follow them. All of them. Or, accept the consequences. I'm assuming you know that blowing stop signs is illegal, that speeding is also illegal, and that riding with headphones is at least questionable. You're in a tough spot, since you broke the rules, you have to accept the consequences. Why are you complaining about the issue? If you were being chased by an angry crowd brandishing sticks, I'd tend to agree. You weren't, I don't. Get over it. Why waste good breathing time *****ing about something you can't change (the law) rather than considering the things you can, like your riding style, your attitude. Life's too short, and riding season (where I live) is rapidly coming to an end. Enjoy the ride.
icon12.gif

MaxPrime said:

Here in CT a bicycle is considered a vehicle and must obey all the rules and regulations and speed limits. I knew a man who got a speeding ticket on his bicycle flying down a hill in a 25 mile an hour zone at close to 50.

Breliswell said:
We (most of us) don't get to make the rules, we are required to follow them. All of them. Or, accept the consequences. I'm assuming you know that blowing stop signs is illegal, that speeding is also illegal, and that riding with headphones is at least questionable. You're in a tough spot, since you broke the rules, you have to accept the consequences. Why are you complaining about the issue? If you were being chased by an angry crowd brandishing sticks, I'd tend to agree. You weren't, I don't. Get over it. Why waste good breathing time *****ing about something you can't change (the law) rather than considering the things you can, like your riding style, your attitude. Life's too short, and riding season (where I live) is rapidly coming to an end. Enjoy the ride. http://www.cyclingforums.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
I think what Breliswell's real complaint is here is the way in which he was stopped. He was run off the road and into a stopped car by a guy in a 2500 lb vehicle. You shouldnt end up in the hospital because of some person of dubivous training trying to keep us safe from ourselves. Perhaps there was way to achieve the same outcome without having to actually risk the riders life for nothing more than a warning.

Salsa Rider said:
I think what Breliswell's real complaint is here is the way in which he was stopped. He was run off the road and into a stopped car by a guy in a 2500 lb vehicle. You shouldnt end up in the hospital because of some person of dubivous training trying to keep us safe from ourselves. Perhaps there was way to achieve the same outcome without having to actually risk the riders life for nothing more than a warning.
Hey Salsa, wasn't me complaining. I was replying. Your point is well taken, however, my problem with all of this is that we have no feedback from this campus policeman on his side of the story. There are two sides to every argument. But the fact rules of the road were shirked places responsibillity for the entire episode squarely on the ride, how he was apprehended or why, become moot points.

I know I've done hard stops infornt of Cops before, even though I was not planning on stopping, when I saw them, I knew enough not to spit in their face and fly through. Either way, Salsa, your comments are always appreciated.

I would be an error to describe "campus cops" as not being real cops. It depends on the location. Here in Tucson Arizona, the University of Arizona cops can inforce all local and state laws, as well as School rules including pursuing an arresting a fleeing suspect OFF university grounds. They also have the complete support of city cops, with whom they are in radio contact.
It would be best to check local laws before assuming that anyone in "uniform"
isn't a "real" cop.