i keep having flat tires

izatt82

Mar 19, 2007
okay guys im not for sure if i can really do anything because my flats are becuase of locust thorns if you know what they are then you know my problem. but i think the first way i am going to fix it is find a new trail.

any other sugestions oh and im on a road bike just to put that out there

There are several things to try. One is thorn resistant tubes, theses are thicker rubber. There are tire sealants like "Slime" that can seal or slow down small punctures. There are tire liners, which are plastic liners that go between the tube and tire tread. Here is a link to the tube section of Jenson USA which has several of these items. Bike shops, sporting good stores, carry them also:

www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/149-Tubes.aspx

The tire liners work pretty well, they need to fit your tire size. Sealants work on small punctures but if they leak out through a larger hole they make a mess that makes patching the tube harder. I've had thorn resistant tubes go flat, but it may have been from something bigger than a thorn.

I bought 2 slime tubes & one leaked right out of the box. They don't work IMO if they couldn't fix the pin-hole out of the box. Again, My opinion here.

well these thorns are like nails they will go through your boot theres not really any stopping them

i would put a picture on here but just google locust thorn im thinking even those plastic things might not do it.

well i dont know maybe the ones with kevlar in them might do it.

any experiance with these install and what not

izatt82 said:
okay guys im not for sure if i can really do anything because my flats are becuase of locust thorns if you know what they are then you know my problem. but i think the first way i am going to fix it is find a new trail.

any other sugestions oh and im on a road bike just to put that out there

If you must ride in areas with road hazards such as those thorns, consider using a combination of a tire with a puncture resistant belt such as the specialized armadillo or continental gatorskin and a tire liner. This will make a heavy combination, but heavy is better than walking.

I've been using Gatorskins for five or six years and have only had one blowout from a leak where the valve stem joins the tube. I'm rarely off paved surfaces so I don't really encounter thorns, but nevertheless I've never had an actual puncture problem with Gatorskins.

Lionfish said:
I bought 2 slime tubes & one leaked right out of the box. They don't work IMO if they couldn't fix the pin-hole out of the box. Again, My opinion here.
I'm not surprised. Slime tubes require air pressure for them to work. The air pressure is needed to push the sealent into the hole.

Too much air pressure, like on road tires, doesn't work either. The sealent blows through without sealing.

Retro Grouch said:
I'm not surprised. Slime tubes require air pressure for them to work. The air pressure is needed to push the sealent into the hole.

Too much air pressure, like on road tires, doesn't work either. The sealent blows through without sealing.
A good pump will keep you going rather than turning back.

Don't hump the pump, just stroke it.

ilmooz said:
I've been using Gatorskins for five or six years and have only had one blowout from a leak where the valve stem joins the tube. I'm rarely off paved surfaces so I don't really encounter thorns, but nevertheless I've never had an actual puncture problem with Gatorskins.
+1. Totally agree with above post. Gatorskins are as close to punture proof as you can get from my experience. Would love to know of a better one if anyelse thinks otherwise.

I don't think that there's any pneumatic tyre available right now that's more puncture-resistant than Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

yeah this is a paved bike trail but has lucust trees next to it there everywhere around here. any way i'm just going to ride else where in the country. changing tire all the time gets to be annoying thanks guys next set of tires i'm gonna go with gators i think