ideas for Greenspeed light mounts

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chris Campanell, Apr 19, 2003.

  1. I would like to create additional surface area to mount lights to on my Greenspeed front
    derailleur post.

    Can the Minoura Space Grip be used? I get the impression from pictures that the Space Grip bar can't
    be reoriented 90 degrees in relation to it's clamp?

    So I'm looking for ideas. What have others done to create more mounting surfaces on a Greenspeed
    front derailleur post?

    TIA.

    Tags:

  2. Victor Kan

    Victor Kan Guest

    Chris Campanelli wrote:
    > I would like to create additional surface area to mount lights to on my Greenspeed front
    > derailleur post.
    >
    > Can the Minoura Space Grip be used? I get the impression from pictures that the Space Grip bar
    > can't be reoriented 90 degrees in relation to it's clamp?

    The Space Grip CAN be re-oriented 90 degrees from the way it usually is pictured in catalogs. It
    just takes an allen wrench and a little care since there's a loose "captive" nut involved.

    I have the extra large version of the Space Grip and although it should nominally fit on the front
    derailleur post (I have a Trimuter, a Greenspeed GTS clone), it's a very tight fit and I have yet to
    be able to get the metal band clamp to work properly around the post.

    Even if I could get the XL version clamped onto the post, it could be a bit too wide, resulting in
    interference with the chainrings or crank arms, requiring a little hacksaw work.

    One thing I'm thinking about is something that attaches to that tab (for fairing mounts?) on top
    of the derailleur post. It would be narrow and appropriate for single lights stacked on top of
    each other.

    Think of a U-bracket about an inch wide, about four inches long. It's side profile is an inverted L,
    with one part fastening through the hole in that tab, with two bars inside the U.

    Currently, I mount a Space Grip with the round bar oriented vertically on the king pin tube.
    It's not on the king pin itself so it doesn't rotate. I have it set up so there's no
    interference with the front wheel, lock to lock. It works well enough, but I'd prefer something
    higher up and more up front.

    --
    I do not accept unsolicted commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for legitmate replies.

  3. Areles

    Areles Guest

    Chris, Victor and other trikers,

    Other than duct tape and zip ties, I have come across four ways to mount lights on the front
    derailleur post of a GS-type tadpole

    1. The front light mount for a Trice. About $20? Check the ICE website for local dealers.
    http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/

    Sturdy and mounts two lights. Involves drilling and tapping holes spaced for a water bottle mount (~
    2.5" apart). There is enough room and if you don't need the lights, you've got another place for a
    water bottle. Not DYI for me.

    2. A T-Bar light mount from Vision or Haluzak (sp?). About $30 Check online for dealers. It is
    available at The Hostel Shoppe.
    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983907300

    Sturdy and mounts two lights. Involves cutting off the front of the tab on the top of the post with
    a hacksaw or Dremel. Then cutting the top of the tube off with a pipe cutter to get an open topped
    tube. Could be a DYI project but not for me.

    3. The Greenspeed light mount. About $15 Available from Greenspeed dealers.
    http://www.greenspeed.com.au/dealer.htm

    Sturdy but only mounts one light. Just bolts on. Could be another home project with the right
    material. The plastic plumbing pieces I tried didn't hold up well.

    4. Buy a Topeak S.P.P. Fixer Model 1a. Price unknown
    (S.P.P. Fixer = Seat Post Pack Fixer) Get the model for seats with springs. The metal clamp from the
    S.P.Q.F has a larger diameter. A perfect fit around the front post on a GTO. It even uses the same
    size bolt as a Space Grip. Swap the clamps and bolt it on.

    Not as sturdy as the first three. Involves shortening the tube on the Space Grip to fit between the
    cranks. The S.P.P.F may be a little hard to find. Any LBS that deals with JB Importers should be
    able to order it. Topeak makes two models. Get the one for seats with springs.

    I have pictures of the things mentioned above. Contact me directly rather than on a.r.b.r. See
    from above.

    If you find any other solutions, please post, Ron and GTO 618

  4. On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:33:55 GMT, Victor Kan <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote:

    >One thing I'm thinking about is something that attaches to that tab (for fairing mounts?) on top
    >of the derailleur post. It would be narrow and appropriate for single lights stacked on top of
    >each other.

    If you mean the vertical tab on top of the derailleur post, that's a light mount. Most European
    dynamo lights bolt directly onto that tab. I use a BiSy light connected to a Lightspin dynamo and
    it's a great setup. The BiSy is hard to find but you can get them from St. John Street Cyeles in the
    UK (http://www.sjscycles.com/). Peter White (http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/) sells the Schmidt E6
    which uses the same optics and better body, but higher price. The BiSy optics is quite impressive -
    the beam is uniform with no annoying hot spot or dark spot in the center. It's even better than the
    Lumotec, which in turn is better than the CatEye Micro in my opinion.

    (It's interesting that these two shops are also the places known to stock short TA cranks.)

    Also, Greenspeed makes a short tube that bolts onto that tab and allows you to mount one handlebar
    style light. Hostel Shop carries it.

    I've had the same experience with Minoura Space Grips. It works well for handlebars, and it also
    works for the mirror mount post on the Greenspeed. But the derailleur post has a larger diameter and
    it takes a LOT of work to get it mounted. It does rotate 90 degrees at the base.

  5. Victor Kan

    Victor Kan Guest

    Thanks for the info, Ron & Ken!

    Ken Kobayashi wrote:
    > If you mean the vertical tab on top of the derailleur post, that's a light mount.

    Wow, who'd thunk it?

    > Also, Greenspeed makes a short tube that bolts onto that tab and allows you to mount one handlebar
    > style light. Hostel Shop carries it.

    I've been wondering how that thing Hostel Shoppe sells worked!

    I was thinking of something like that too, that holts into a mating, piece on the other side to
    mount two lights.

  6. > I've been wondering how that thing Hostel Shoppe sells worked!

    > I was thinking of something like that too, that holts into a mating, piece on the other side to
    > mount two lights.

    I have the Greenspeed light mount. It works just fine but I would like to add a second light. The
    rub is that 2 lights side by side have clamps that are farther apart than 2 Greenspeed light
    mounts are long.

    My crank distance is 171.5mm so either Minoura Space Grip (120mm or
    130mm) are acceptable. The problem is that the Space Grip clamp does not exceed 29mm and my
    derailleur tube is 28.5mm. Thats too close for comfort and a rubber shim.

  7. Areles

    Areles Guest

    If you've got the guts, cut the top of the tube off. I know of one Greenspeed dealer who has done
    this for a customer.

    See the thread about mounting lights on a V-rex front derailleur post. It's here on a.r.b.r. There's
    a very nice how-to site in that thread.

    http://www.twowheels.us/bicycles/vrex_headlight.html

    Ron

  8. I've got a setup on my Speedmachine consisting of an Ahead-style stem gripping a length of tube sawn
    out of an old seat post. The stem clamps onto the derailleur post. It's big and heavy and clunky in
    comparison to some of the more elegant solutions posited hereabouts, but seeing as all the parts
    crept out of a box in the shed, it is quite cost-effective :)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/