If you could only upgrade 1 component...?

Chucky

Sep 8, 2005
Hello all,

I have a KHS flight 700 2005 which includes Campy Xenon and Mirage components.

Now lets say I wanted to start upgrading components. What are some components that people suggest to upgrade first. Which component will result in the best performance increase. I was thinking about a new crank (tri) or rear derailer. These to me seem the most important....but im not convinced yet.

Chucky said:
Hello all,

Now lets say I wanted to start upgrading components. What are some components that people suggest to upgrade first. Which component will result in the best performance increase. I was thinking about a new crank (tri) or rear derailer. These to me seem the most important....but im not convinced yet.
Wheels.

8 9 10

Chucky said:
Hello all,

Upgrade the engine first. When that's done, you'll know what components on the bike need upgrading.

Wheels may be upgraded later. drivetrain components only when the old ones wear out.

Why do you want a triple? See "upgrading the engine first". If you still want a triple, then get one.

Pretty much in agreement with Bbattle.

1. Engine (always the most cost effective upgrade - ALWAYS!!)
  2. Saddle (most stock saddles stink)
  3. Cycling shorts
  4. Gloves
  5. Brake pads
  6. Wheels (maybe)

After these, then the correct answers are "replace as they wear out" and "it depends."

For a couple of examples in the "it depends" department...

If your cassette isn't appropriate for your fitness levels and/or terrain then it can get chucked and replaced with something that is appropriate. I live in a flat area of the country and I'm not a sprinter so a 13/23 works great for me.

Also, you may find you would be more comfortable in a different riding position so a stem change may be in order.

bbattle said:
Why do you want a triple? See "upgrading the engine first". If you still want a triple, then get one.
The flight 700 came with a triple

Chucky said:
Hello all,

To give a really sensible answer, we would need to know your goals and what kind of riding you do. As a racer, my response on how to spend your cycling money would be (1) coach and (2) power meter (Power Tap or Polar). Those are the investments which "increase the engine" as several other posters pointed out. But if you ride recreationally, the coach is less important, and the power meter almost useless. To be honest, you will probably not feel any difference with component changes, with the possible exception of lighter or more aero wheels. But even there, I'm not sure that the "bang for the buck" is worth it, a heck of a lot of races are won on the hub of your choice laced to Mavic OP rims, i.e. very standard wheels (i.e. as proof that lighter wheels, while nice, may not make that much of a performance difference).

Doctor Morbius said:
Pretty much in agreement with Bbattle.

1. Engine (always the most cost effective upgrade - ALWAYS!!)
  2. Saddle (most stock saddles stink)
  3. Cycling shorts
  4. Gloves
  5. Brake pads
  6. Wheels (maybe)

After these, then the correct answers are "replace as they wear out" and "it depends."

For a couple of examples in the "it depends" department...

If your cassette isn't appropriate for your fitness levels and/or terrain then it can get chucked and replaced with something that is appropriate. I live in a flat area of the country and I'm not a sprinter so a 13/23 works great for me.

Also, you may find you would be more comfortable in a different riding position so a stem change may be in order.

I agree with this, however in order to build a strong engine, one needs to become "comfortable" on the bike first (ie. proper saddle/ shorts-chamois/ and pedal-shoe).... The Contacts BABY.... the CONTACTS . Then, just spend your money on hydration + food and body rub downs :)

Adam-from-SLO said:
I agree with this, however in order to build a strong engine, one needs to become "comfortable" on the bike first (ie. proper saddle/ shorts-chamois/ and pedal-shoe).... The Contacts BABY.... the CONTACTS
True. True. I forgot to mention clipless pedals too.

Like they say it in real estate:

Wheels/tires
Wheels/tires
Wheels/tires

:p

First, take care of the engine. The most bang for your buck:

Cycling jersey and shorts. I was surprised at the difference this makes - you ride a lot better when you aren't drenched in sweat.

Padded gloves.

Saddle, but only if you are getting sore after an hour or so. You may have to try several before you find the right one.

Clipless pedals/shoes. Force yourself to use them for a month, and you'll never take them off.

These won't necessarily make you faster, but they will keep you more comfortable and less fatigued. The more you ride, the better shape the engine is in.

You can also look into two fairly inexpensive information options: computer, and heart rate monitor.

After all that, take a look at a nice aero wheelset.

Tires. In my opinion nothing effects the quality of the ride more than tires. Cheap tires just plain suck. After that, wheels.

Engine

Shorts / Shoes / Pedals / Bar tape (Assos Bib, decent Sidis, Look, ITM cork would be my preference) I hate wearing gloves but they should be in this section too.

Tyres (Veloflex black are my current preference)