I'm 5fy 7"..should I get a womans or mens bike?

Bluerain

Jan 2, 2006
Thanks so much!!

Blue

PS:I have normal proportions where I'm pretty much the same size for upper and lower body. I weight 151 lbs but mostly muscle.

Hands slightly bigger then what a average size woman would have.

Get which ever bike fits you. It probably won't be a WSD or "woman specific design" bicycle.

After all, for most manufacturers, the only differences between a WSD and non-WSD bike (would that be a MSD bike?) are:

– Smaller frame: useful for short people, men and women alike, except there are fewer men below 5' 2".

– For an equivalent frame size, a few manufacturers have a slightly shorter top tube, because women tend to have a slightly shorter torso (by a few mm only); more importantly, the woman's pelvic structure is shaped differently, so she tends to stay more upright and need bars closer to the saddle. Many manufacturers simply change the stem, and in most cases, you can achieve the fit you want with a shorter stem. Most bike shops will fit the bike with a proper stem for free, whether you take a WSD bike or not.

– Shorter cranks. Shorter cranks fit shorter people. Except some manufacturers make small WSD frames... with 175-mm cranks! And BTW, at your height, you will probably prefer standard 170 or maybe 175 mm cranks.

– Woman saddle. It's up to you, but again a good bike shop will swap the saddle. You will pay the difference if you upgrade.

– Gearing and tires. It would be nice if bicycles sold for smaller and lighter people had smaller gearing and narrower tires, but alas, that's not the case, whether you shop WSD or not. IOW, you'll need to adjust according to your preferences.

– "Girlie colour". Many WSD bikes come in light blue or pink with flowers. Why? I don't know, except that since there are not too many female thieves (as far as I know), it's a good theft deterrent.

P.S. There are a few brake levers and integrated briefters made for small hands, but they DON'T come with women's bikes!

WOW..What a wonderful chock full of information post!!

Thanks so very much!!!

Happy New Year to You ;)

Blue
mgagnonlv said:
Get which ever bike fits you. It probably won't be a WSD or "woman specific design" bicycle.

After all, for most manufacturers, the only differences between a WSD and non-WSD bike (would that be a MSD bike?) are:

– Smaller frame: useful for short people, men and women alike, except there are fewer men below 5' 2".

– For an equivalent frame size, a few manufacturers have a slightly shorter top tube, because women tend to have a slightly shorter torso (by a few mm only); more importantly, the woman's pelvic structure is shaped differently, so she tends to stay more upright and need bars closer to the saddle. Many manufacturers simply change the stem, and in most cases, you can achieve the fit you want with a shorter stem. Most bike shops will fit the bike with a proper stem for free, whether you take a WSD bike or not.

– Shorter cranks. Shorter cranks fit shorter people. Except some manufacturers make small WSD frames... with 175-mm cranks! And BTW, at your height, you will probably prefer standard 170 or maybe 175 mm cranks.

– Woman saddle. It's up to you, but again a good bike shop will swap the saddle. You will pay the difference if you upgrade.

– Gearing and tires. It would be nice if bicycles sold for smaller and lighter people had smaller gearing and narrower tires, but alas, that's not the case, whether you shop WSD or not. IOW, you'll need to adjust according to your preferences.

– "Girlie colour". Many WSD bikes come in light blue or pink with flowers. Why? I don't know, except that since there are not too many female thieves (as far as I know), it's a good theft deterrent.

P.S. There are a few brake levers and integrated briefters made for small hands, but they DON'T come with women's bikes!

There's some really good advice above. All I would say is I am 5'8'' with a large build (eg hand span bigger than many men, big hips and UK size 9 feet which I think is about an 11? in the USA). I ride a mens bike but with a womans saddle and I find it fine. The crossbar you get on a mens bike also gives it a stronger frame than on an eqivalent womans bike so I have been reliably informed by my bike shop. At the end of the day you've just got to get what's most comfortable for you. Best of luck.

alibat said:
There's some really good advice above. All I would say is I am 5'8'' with a large build (eg hand span bigger than many men, big hips and UK size 9 feet which I think is about an 11? in the USA). I ride a mens bike but with a womans saddle and I find it fine. The crossbar you get on a mens bike also gives it a stronger frame than on an eqivalent womans bike so I have been reliably informed by my bike shop. At the end of the day you've just got to get what's most comfortable for you. Best of luck.
Great!!

I guess i will be fetting a mens bike .

Thnak so much Alibat : )

Blue

gclark8 said:
Blue, have you thought about taking up swimming as well?
You know, I would love to take up swimming but my gym doesn't have one.

Can't afford another gym at this time..I'm up to my gazoo with bills.

Blue