I'm all wet, rain gear suggestions?

I use a Mountain Hardware Goretex mountaineering jacket that is quite short in the waist, as I have found it very difficult to find a technical waterproof jacket with a proper hood. I have found that without a proper hood, no matter what i try, water just pours down the back of my neck. For trousers i use a pair of altura bottoms (around £50) and some vision overshoes to stop the lot pouring into my shoes. Sealskinz gloves were also a very good investment. The whole lot is porbably worth around £300- £350 i would say. (£240 for the coat tho i only paid £140, £50 for the trousers and £20 for the overshoes)

eyeglass tip. cut the brim off an old baseball style hat and use two bolts to attach it to your helmet visor. this extends the visor significantly. the rain barely hits my chin. I live in vancouver canada where it rains alot. this set up works well and is dirt cheap.

Originally posted by veganheart
eyeglass tip. cut the brim off an old baseball style hat and use two bolts to attach it to your helmet visor. this extends the visor significantly. the rain barely hits my chin. I live in vancouver canada where it rains alot. this set up works well and is dirt cheap.
but how fast do you travel? I tired a hat and it did nothing at all. and when raining and blowing no way at all.

Originally posted by stevek
but how fast do you travel? I tired a hat and it did nothing at all. and when raining and blowing no way at all.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing... when I commute, sometimes I get headed maybe 15-20mph down hills, even in the rain (although, I only do this when things look safe well up ahead). I don't think this brim trick would do it.

One idea I've had regarding this would be something like an open-faced motorcycle type of visor, ie, like this... http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=268&department=101&Division=1 .

Then you could just feel free to wipe off the visor w/ your sleeve, w/o fear of ruining your glasses. I guess the problem then might be steaming up the visor w/ your breath.. Hmm.

In the day I can live with rain on my glasses. at night I just take them off. things are a little blurry but it is not a problem.

Originally posted by stevek
In the day I can live with rain on my glasses. at night I just take them off. things are a little blurry but it is not a problem.

I wish that that was a safe option for me, but too many years of heavy computer use have doomed me to a heavy prescription :cool:, so it really wouldn't be safe for me or others if I were to do that...

You can check out nashbar or performancebike for their clear rain jacket and pants with reflective tapes. As for the feet, what I did was use sealskinz or waterproof socks. I thinks its inevitable to have wet shoes but at least you can have dry feet.