IMPORTANT: Off road use of vehicles

"Nick Hopton" <[email protected]> wrote

> I've asked this before of 4WD enthusiasts and I'll ask it again of you. Why do your people have
> to render the whole width of a byway impassible to walkers? I only need half a metre of path at
> the edge to get through, why do the 4WD people have to destroy the surface of the whole width of
> the byway?

Ruts are a pain for cyclists but don't affect walkers much. I don't see how a 4WD makes anywhere
impassable to walkers. How do you mean exactly? Slippy and muddy? Pools of water?

"Nick Hopton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For what its worth, I think that the 4WD lobby is doing itself no favours by arguing that 4WDs
> don't cause significant damage to the surface of byways, it is denying the undeniable.

I haven't seen any objective independent research that substantiates that 4WD vehicles cause
significant, widespread damage to the surface of byways. I guess you must have seen some to be able
to make the statement that you have. Can you please quote the relevant references, so that I can
look it up.

Cheers Andrew Kay

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:25:15 +0000, Nick Hopton <[email protected]>
wrote:

> In a recent message <[email protected]>, Peter Browning <peter@worcester-
> networks.com> wrote.
>
> [...]
>> You will find that if a BOAT has been damaged to that extent then it is almost certainly due to
>> agricultural or forestry vehicles. The maximum depth of rut that a 4x4 can make is 9 inches; most
>> of the rutted sections I have seen have ruts up to 2 feet deep - no way this is 4x4 damage!
> [...]
>
> I mentioned in another part of this thread that regularly I drive 4WDs off-road. Thus, I know the
> sort of rutting that can 4WDs can cause, at first hand. The mechanism that underlies rutting is
> far more complicated than you suggest.

It is a fact that I cannot drive my landrover in ruts which cause the differential to drag along the
floor. I have seen photographs of damage, wrongly ascribed to 4x4s by walking zealots, which has
been clearly caused by agricultural vehicles.

> [...]
>>> I don't think there is concerted effort by any organisation to set walker against 4WD-enthusiast
>>> with the object of restricting access to the countryside for everyone. For myself, I can't see
>>> how an idea like that could work.
>
>> Easy - 4x4 RoW users are the smallest minority (about 2%). They are also easy targets to whip up
>> emotive hatred about. So, step 1, remove vehicles. OK, who is next - horse riders (about 4% of
>> RoW users). Horses can scare walkers so lets have a go at them next. OK, next - mountain
>> bikers...... etc. Divide and conquer works well believe it. We should all be pulling together!
>
> But the all pulling together approach has been tried. It doesn't work.

It will never work with the cowboys - that requires prosecution of those responsible, not banning
those who do not cause the damage.

>>> We have to face it, I'm afraid, codes of responsible use, et cetera, just don't seem to work
>>> when it comes to 4WD-enthuseasts. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that the interests of
>>> walkers are fundamentally incompatible with those of the 4WD-community. This being the case I
>>> don't think that I, as a walker, have any option but to support moves to restrict the access of
>>> recreational vehicles to byways.
>
> [...]
>> You are insulting 4x4 drivers here as much as you would be insulted if I said that all ramblers
>> are litter scattering, path eroding morons. The vast majority of those who drive 4x4's on RoW's
>> do so legally and responsibly; I know, I am one of them. The trouble is caused as always by the
>> lawless minority and you will not exclude them whatever laws are passed. All you will achieve is
>> to remove the responsible users who also by-the-way make a major contribution to keeping the
>> byways clear and passable by all and leave the louts a clear field.
> [...]
>
> If I managed to insult the 4WD community then I apologise, that was not my intention. Look, a few
> years ago a group of interested parties including members of the 4WD lobby got together to agree a
> code of responsible practice for the Ridgeway. It hasn't worked, so something else must be tried.

But your "something else" means banning people who are not responsible for the damage! Can't you see
that this will be totally ineffective, as well as unjust?

>> Neither will you stop agri use - once the 4x4's are banned you will see that most of the damage
>> still occurs and most of the lanes that the farmers don't need become rapidly overgrown and
>> impassable. The local councils will not clear them that's for sure. By then of course it will be
>> too late to do anything about it.
>
> I don't agree that the damage I see when I go walking is caused predominantly by agricultural
> vehicles and machines.
>
>> What about live and let live - that has not been tried (I can feel the heat from the flames
>> already!).
> [...]
>
> Flame? Not from me, you won't. Live-and-let-live is what we have now, it doesn't work.

Of course it does, but both green laners and walkers can have their day out spoilt by irresponsible
drivers and farmers doing their job. That is no argument for depriving green laners of the few
routes they can drive now.

> For what its worth, I think that the 4WD lobby is doing itself no favours by arguing that 4WDs
> don't cause significant damage to the surface of byways, it is denying the undeniable.

Rubbish. You are setting up an argument in order to knock it down. Noone denies that 4x4s can damage
a surface under poor conditions and by bad driving. I would not drive a byway if doing so would
cause damage.

> Perhaps the cause would be better served by making concrete proposals about the way that 4WDs and
> walkers can co-exist (and not just by telling walkers to p*ss off and go somewhere else, either).

But that's what you want to tell 4x4 drivers to do! Can't you see how selfish your attitude is?

Pat

--
Pat Bennett www.cheshirewildlife.co.uk

"Nick wrote in message ...

> >The same goes for horses down this way! (I'm not an offroad 4X4 byways driver BTW, well only in a
> >muddy field where I grow things)
>
> Well, I'll admit that my experience is limited, but even on the quite narrow bridle ways that lead
> up onto the Downs from Lambourn I've never had trouble getting through. These paths are used by
> hundreds of riders every day, including during wet weather.
>
> >> We have to face it, I'm afraid, codes of responsible use, et cetera, just don't seem to work
> >> when it comes to 4WD-enthuseasts.

Only doesn't work with some, and it only takes a few bad eggs, see the GLASS site if you don't
believe me.

> >> The only conclusion that can be drawn is that the interests of walkers are fundamentally
> >> incompatible with those of the 4WD-community.

Sorry, I think that's rubbish. We walkers like the same things as the 4x4 brigade do except some
walkers want it all to themselves instead of having to share 2%.

> I work around quarries and I do appreciate that pushing 4WDs to the limit on difficult ground can
> be fun, so far I've managed to wreck an UMM and a Frontera. BTW, we're looking for an MOT-failed
> diesel Land River at the moment, if you happen to know of one going cheap.

Post a request on alt.fan.landrover, good bunch on there, but don't mention what you just wrote
about banning them from muddy tracks or about the Frontera. :).

--
Regards Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver... http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ and find intelligent life
amongst the stars

In a recent message <[email protected]>, Andrew Kay
<[email protected]> wrote.

[...]
>I haven't seen any objective independent research that substantiates that 4WD vehicles cause
>significant, widespread damage to the surface of byways. I guess you must have seen some to be able
>to make the statement that you have. Can you please quote the relevant references, so that I can
>look it up.
[...]

By all means, have a look at:

http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/4WD/4WD2.jpg

and then tell me that 4WDs don't do widespread damage the surface of byways.

Regards, Nick.

--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England <[email protected]

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:17:43 -0000, Bob Hobden <[email protected]> wrote:

> <snip>

>> limit on difficult ground can be fun, so far I've managed to wreck an UMM and a Frontera. BTW,
>> we're looking for an MOT-failed diesel Land River at the moment, if you happen to know of one
>> going cheap.
>
> Post a request on alt.fan.landrover, good bunch on there, but don't mention what you just wrote
> about banning them from muddy tracks or about the Frontera. :).

Oh, they won't mind that about the Frontera, Bob!

Pat

--
Pat Bennett www.cheshirewildlife.co.uk

In a recent message <[email protected]>, AndyP <[email protected]
spam.co.uk> wrote.

[...]
>> I've asked this before of 4WD enthusiasts and I'll ask it again of you. Why do your people have
>> to render the whole width of a byway impassible to walkers? I only need half a metre of path at
>> the edge to get through, why do the 4WD people have to destroy the surface of the whole width of
>> the byway?
>
>Ruts are a pain for cyclists but don't affect walkers much. I don't see how a 4WD makes anywhere
>impassable to walkers. How do you mean exactly? Slippy and muddy? Pools of water?

See http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/4WD/4WD2.jpg

Regards, Nick.

--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England <[email protected]

"Nick Hopton" <[email protected]> wrote

> See http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/4WD/4WD2.jpg

Yes, I see exactly what you mean, not very pleasant. And as you say that particular bit would be
plenty wide enough to have a bit at the side reserved for walkers. Some kind of separation barrier
would seem to be the only way to preserve part of the path in reasonable condition. Fence a side
strip off, close it to everyone for a while till it recovers, then limit it's use via styles etc to
users who won't trash it completely. You have a firm grassy path back to walk on and the 4WDs can
still play in the mud. Everyone's happy.

Nick Hopton <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In a recent message <[email protected]>, Peter Browning <peter@worcester-
> networks.com> wrote.
>
> [...]
> >You will find that if a BOAT has been damaged to that extent then it is almost certainly due to
> >agricultural or forestry vehicles. The maximum depth of rut that a 4x4 can make is 9 inches; most
> >of the rutted sections I have seen have ruts up to 2 feet deep - no way this is 4x4 damage!
> [...]
>
> I mentioned in another part of this thread that regularly I drive 4WDs off-road. Thus, I know the
> sort of rutting that can 4WDs can cause, at first hand. The mechanism that underlies rutting is
> far more complicated than you suggest.
>
> [...]
> >> I don't think there is concerted effort by any organisation to set walker against 4WD-
> >> enthusiast with the object of restricting access to the countryside for everyone. For myself, I
> >> can't see how an idea like that could work.
>
> >Easy - 4x4 RoW users are the smallest minority (about 2%). They are also easy targets to whip up
> >emotive hatred about. So, step 1, remove vehicles. OK, who is next - horse riders (about 4% of
> >RoW users). Horses can scare walkers so lets have a go at them next. OK, next - mountain
> >bikers...... etc. Divide and conquer works well believe it. We should all be pulling together!
>
> But the all pulling together approach has been tried. It doesn't work.

When has it been tried? I have been walking for 30 odd years, mountain biking on-and-off for 20 and
4x4 greenlaning for 10. I have been over the years a member of AWDC, LARA, GLASS, Ramblers
Association and various bike clubs. I have never (as in not ever) ben made aware of any co-operative
venture. It has always (in general) been Ramblers vs everyone else (mainly 4x4 and motorbikes). The
RA have always wanted 100% of the RoW network exclusively.

> >> We have to face it, I'm afraid, codes of responsible use, et cetera, just don't seem to work
> >> when it comes to 4WD-enthuseasts. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that the interests
> >> of walkers are fundamentally incompatible with those of the 4WD-community. This being the case
> >> I don't think that I, as a walker, have any option but to support moves to restrict the access
> >> of recreational vehicles to byways.
>
> [...]
> >You are insulting 4x4 drivers here as much as you would be insulted if I said that all ramblers
> >are litter scattering, path eroding morons. The vast majority of those who drive 4x4's on RoW's
> >do so legally and responsibly; I know, I am one of them. The trouble is caused as always by the
> >lawless minority and you will not exclude them whatever laws are passed. All you will achieve is
> >to remove the responsible users who also by-the-way make a major contribution to keeping the
> >byways clear and passable by all and leave the louts a clear field.
> [...]
>
> If I managed to insult the 4WD community then I apologise, that was not my intention. Look, a few
> years ago a group of interested parties including members of the 4WD lobby got together to agree a
> code of responsible practice for the Ridgeway. It hasn't worked, so something else must be tried.

I was on the AWDC committee at the time I think you are talking about
- there was never any spirit of co-operation. All I saw was RA and GLEAM saying 'do it our way or
we'll have you banned'

> >Neither will you stop agri use - once the 4x4's are banned you will see that most of the damage
> >still occurs and most of the lanes that the farmers don't need become rapidly overgrown and
> >impassable. The local councils will not clear them that's for sure. By then of course it will be
> >too late to do anything about it.
>
> I don't agree that the damage I see when I go walking is caused predominantly by agricultural
> vehicles and machines.

I am the last person to deny that 4x4's can cause damage in the wrong hands and when driven in
innapropriate conditions. I have seen damage that was obviously 4x4 BUT most damage is agri /
forestry - no bull, just plain fact. It's also plain fact that horses and walkers cause damage also
- I was cycling a bridleway a couple of weeks ago and a two mile stretch was impassable on two
wheels because of the surface churning. Look at the amount that is spent each year repairing
footpaths in the Lake District, Snowdonia, Dales, etc If a proportionate amount was spent on Byways
to give a properly maintained and drained durface then 80%+ of current damage would not occur.

> >What about live and let live - that has not been tried (I can feel the heat from the flames
> >already!).
> [...]
>
> Flame? Not from me, you won't. Live-and-let-live is what we have now, it doesn't work. For what
> its worth, I think that the 4WD lobby is doing itself no favours by arguing that 4WDs don't cause
> significant damage to the surface of byways, it is denying the undeniable. Perhaps the cause would
> be better served by making concrete proposals about the way that 4WDs and walkers can co-exist
> (and not just by telling walkers to p*ss off and go somewhere else, either).

No, we do not have live-and-let-live! We have the RA, YDGLA, GLEAM, CLA, etc all saying
unequivocably the all vehicles should be banned from all RoW's - just as they have been saying for
years. Look at the content of the DEFRA consultation - that's not something dreamt up by Alun
Michael, that's the result of years of lobbying.

And, furthermore I'm not saying walkers should p**s off elsewhere, I'm just trying to be realistic.
Wlakers can go wherever they please on the RoW network (and everywhere else under 'right to roam').
Horse riders get 10 - 15% to share with walkers and motorists get 5% to share with walkers, horse
riders, bikers, etc. All I am saying is why do walkers insist on chucking cars off that 5%? Isn't
95% enough for them? It is more than enough for me - I do far more walking than I do 4x4'ing and I
do not feel the lack of that 5%. Just live and let live for christs sake.

Peter

"The Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Following up to Bernie Hughes
>
> >> My impression is that there are very few places a 4x4 enthusiast *can* drive in UK?
> >
> >On roads?
>
> very clever.

It's a serious point none-the-less. Cars are designed to be driven on roads. Roads are designed to
have cars driven on them. The fact that advertising geeks give their vehicles camp/macho labels like
'4x4' and show them in action in the Sahara or whatever doesn't really change that.

The idea that restricting people from playing Action Man on forest tracks is the first step in
attempting to cut down access for all other activities is laughable. Landowners generally base their
whole argument on the claim that increased access will lead to irresponsible behaviour, increased
damage and pollution. Hammering around the countryside like Rambo is a perfect example of just that.
It's selfish, noisy, damaging to the environment and highly intrusive.
--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

"Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "The Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... Hammering around the countryside like Rambo is
> a perfect example of just that. It's selfish, noisy, damaging to the environment and highly
> intrusive.

And the 60,000 people on the Lakes hills on any one summers weekend is NOT "noisy, intrusive and
damaging to the environment"? Have a sense of proportion at least.

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:46:50 +0000, Nick Hopton <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In a recent message <[email protected]>, Andrew Kay
><[email protected]> wrote.
>
>[...]
>>I haven't seen any objective independent research that substantiates that 4WD vehicles cause
>>significant, widespread damage to the surface of byways. I guess you must have seen some to be
>>able to make the statement that you have. Can you please quote the relevant references, so that I
>>can look it up.
>[...]
>
>By all means, have a look at:
>
>http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/4WD/4WD2.jpg
>
>and then tell me that 4WDs don't do widespread damage the surface of byways.
>
>Regards, Nick.

It's just a muddy track. In what way has it been damaged?

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

>Maybe ramblers should stick to city pavements, or maybe a circular route round the local Tesco car
>park? :) Then we can avoid damage to footpaths in the Lake District and Snowdonia. The National
>Parks would be very peaceful then!

We tried that a couple of years ago - not good

And the locals out of work.... City pavements is not such as stupid idea, some interesting walking
in cities. especially London.

Trouble is pavements tend to be blocked by 4x4 Tonkas that should be ploughing up the Ridgeway.. You
cannot win

Richard Webb

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:26:21 -0000, "Bernie Hughes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It's a serious point none-the-less. Cars are designed to be driven on roads.

Some cars are designed to be driven off-road.

--

Bernie Hughes wrote:

> "The Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My impression is that there are very few places a 4x4 enthusiast *can* drive in UK?
>
> On roads?

I'd be happier for 4x4's to only be allowed off road, or short journeys to get off road. As it is
walkers cause more damage to paths and tracks than 4x4 users do, just because there's so many
more of us.

James

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:48:05 +0000, James Grabowski
>I'd be happier for 4x4's to only be allowed off road, or short journeys to get off road. As it is
>walkers cause more damage to paths and tracks than 4x4 users do, just because there's so many
>more of us.

Fortunately we dont...

Do you know what erodes the most paths in the Highlands? Walkers thats who, four legged walkers,
some with bloody great antlers. And they dont stick to one or two routes up Munros.

Richard Webb

wrote:

>In a recent message <[email protected]>, Andrew Kay
><[email protected]> wrote.
>
>[...]
>>I haven't seen any objective independent research that substantiates that 4WD vehicles cause
>>significant, widespread damage to the surface of byways. I guess you must have seen some to be
>>able to make the statement that you have. Can you please quote the relevant references, so that I
>>can look it up.
>[...]
>
>By all means, have a look at:
>
>http://www.hopton.dsl.pipex.com/4WD/4WD2.jpg
>
>and then tell me that 4WDs don't do widespread damage the surface of byways.

Wow an authentic ancient roadway :)

Thats almost exactly like it would have been in the good old days, when it was used for the daily
passage of drovers and livestock, horses and carts etc etc.......... That's why they came to be so
wide, people used to avoid the puddles in days gone by as well!!!

It.s far more historically accurate than a nice, green grassy footpath ;)

People today just don't know how lucky they are..............

Regards

Tim Jones

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:32:50 +0000, Paul Rooney <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:26:21 -0000, "Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>It's a serious point none-the-less. Cars are designed to be driven on roads.
>
>Some cars are designed to be driven off-road.

Sadly the Off-road is not designed to be driven on

Richard Webb

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:27:52 -0000, "Bob Hobden" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Yes, that is something these "anti's" should think about, how will they still be able to access the
>hills etc when they are infirm. It happens to all of us.

But most of us accept it rather than spoil the experience for others.

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:13:57 GMT, [email protected] (RJ
Webb) wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:32:50 +0000, Paul Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:26:21 -0000, "Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>It's a serious point none-the-less. Cars are designed to be driven on roads.
>>
>>Some cars are designed to be driven off-road.
>
>Sadly the Off-road is not designed to be driven on

But we all used to travel on the off-road until some great wuss invented the road ;)