In Search of Abdou...

Crankyfeet said:
Thanks G. Vadar and cyclingnews.com.

"Djamolidine Abdoujaparov was one of the most feared sprinters in the peloton during the early to mid-90s, not least for his erratic style in sight of the line. Procycling's Daniel Friebe tries to find out what "The Tashkent Terror" is doing now, but discovers it's not that easy.... "

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=/features/2008/tour08_seeking_abdoujaparov_1
I read tha this morning, good piece of writing IMO.

Yep. I read it last night. Good piece.

I actually know where he is...Swoyersville, Pa. Saw him at the Maltby bizaar a few weeks ago eating pierogies and playing the big six.

I think my favorite statement from the article (a very good one by the way) was this,

When he learns of our quest, William sends in a few of his old Guardian cuttings from the Tour during the early 90s. He scrawls a note on one of them: "Those were the days. No doping scandals and lots of big characters!"

How true! I really do miss those days (late 80's early 90's). Right now cycling is so dull. When Cadel is the most favored Tour rider, you know our sport has sunk to a new low.

fscyclist said:
I think my favorite statement from the article (a very good one by the way) was this,

When he learns of our quest, William sends in a few of his old Guardian cuttings from the Tour during the early 90s. He scrawls a note on one of them: "Those were the days. No doping scandals and lots of big characters!"

How true! I really do miss those days (late 80's early 90's). Right now cycling is so dull. When Cadel is the most favored Tour rider, you know our sport has sunk to a new low.
so spurious to assert Armstrong had charisma. His wins conferred upon his the patrone status and an artificial charisma.

Someone who has true charisma does not date tabloid starlets to bask in reflected glow.

Ricco has charisma. Mcewen has it in spades. Boonen does.

thunder said:
so spurious to assert Armstrong had charisma. His wins conferred upon his the patrone status and an artificial charisma.

Someone who has true charisma does not date tabloid starlets to bask in reflected glow.

Ricco has charisma. Mcewen has it in spades. Boonen does.
Who asserted that Armstrong has charisma?