In the category of...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by modom, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. modom

    modom Guest

    most useful Thanksgiving leftovers the winner is...

    [drumroll]

    Smoked turkey stock!

    [bada bing!]

    Congratulations, stock! The competition was tough this year, but you
    came out on top!

    We all know you were essential to making masa for the post turkey-day
    tamales, but you were also instumental in numerous sauces in the weeks
    since that momentous day! Why, just last night, you were the base of
    a chipotle/yougurt/ lemon sauce for roast chicken (nevermind that D
    said it was too sour; she was dead wrong, and we know it, don't we?)--
    AND you provided the moisture for the spinach with caramelized onions
    and tasso -- AND you got a serious reduction so you could glaze the
    diced zucchini with preserved lemons! All in ONE MEAL!

    Well beyond any mere triple threat, Smoked turkey stock, you're a
    fabulous addition to any meal. Any meal at all!

    And you never complain when we freeze you! Whadda champ of a leftover
    you are, Smoked turkey stock! A champ for the ages, indeed!

    But if you start talking -- customary acceptance speeches not
    withstanding -- I'm gonna throw you out. Ain't got no room for
    talking stock in my kitchen.

    modom

    Tags:

  2. MareCat

    MareCat Guest

    "modom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > most useful Thanksgiving leftovers the winner is...
    >
    > [drumroll]
    >
    > Smoked turkey stock!
    >
    > [bada bing!]
    >
    > Congratulations, stock! The competition was tough this year, but you
    > came out on top!
    >
    > We all know you were essential to making masa for the post turkey-day
    > tamales, but you were also instumental in numerous sauces in the weeks
    > since that momentous day! Why, just last night, you were the base of
    > a chipotle/yougurt/ lemon sauce for roast chicken (nevermind that D
    > said it was too sour; she was dead wrong, and we know it, don't we?)--

    Recipe please??

    > AND you provided the moisture for the spinach with caramelized onions
    > and tasso -- AND you got a serious reduction so you could glaze the
    > diced zucchini with preserved lemons! All in ONE MEAL!
    >
    > Well beyond any mere triple threat, Smoked turkey stock, you're a
    > fabulous addition to any meal. Any meal at all!
    >
    > And you never complain when we freeze you! Whadda champ of a leftover
    > you are, Smoked turkey stock! A champ for the ages, indeed!
    >
    > But if you start talking -- customary acceptance speeches not
    > withstanding -- I'm gonna throw you out. Ain't got no room for
    > talking stock in my kitchen.

    ROFL!! Congratulations, smoked turkey stock!! You rock! Woohoo!! :)

    Made chili for dinner tonight. I asked hubby earlier what type of chili he
    wanted: delicious, thick, meaty TX-style chili (the type I usually make) or
    that yankee stuff (we're both from the northeast, so we both grew up eating
    the ground beef/tomatoes/kidney bean variety of "chili", and we prepare both
    types here, depending on our mood). He replied, "Oh, surprise me." :) Ended
    up making a hybrid: TX-style chili (with stew meat), with some diced
    tomatoes--which pretty much dissolved into the mix--and black beans, which
    were added toward the end. The end result was a thick, slightly-spicy, meaty
    chili (with a few additions) that really was wonderful. Served it in bread
    bowls with shredded cheddar and sour cream.

    Mary