Increasing Power For A 25 Mile Time Trial

QuincyScott

Jun 22, 2006
Any Suggestions On Increasing Performance For A 25 Mile Time Trial On A 2.5 Mile Oval Outdoor Track (10 Laps)

I would invest ~75% of my training time in L4 intervals (20-60mins @ ~91-100%FT) and ~25% in L5 intervals (~5mins @ 120%FT). Terminology as per Hunter/Coggan, "Training and Racing with a Power Meter." As you approach the event, it will be key to know your speed and sustainable power for the estimated duration (~1 hr?) because the fastest pacing strategy is constant power at 100% of your sustainable power for the duration. One exception: if there is a significant wind on the day of the event, you will want to ride the upwind/downwind segments at different power levels. You'll also want the absolutely most aero equipment you can lay your hands on (including low RR tires).

RapDaddyo said:
I would invest ~75% of my training time in L4 intervals (20-60mins @ ~91-100%FT) and ~25% in L5 intervals (~5mins @ 120%FT). Terminology as per Hunter/Coggan, "Training and Racing with a Power Meter." As you approach the event, it will be key to know your speed and sustainable power for the estimated duration (~1 hr?) because the fastest pacing strategy is constant power at 100% of your sustainable power for the duration. One exception: if there is a significant wind on the day of the event, you will want to ride the upwind/downwind segments at different power levels. You'll also want the absolutely most aero equipment you can lay your hands on (including low RR tires).
thanks for the fast response all other info will be greatly appreciated

i aggree with rap daddyo. i think that spending a lot (or a majority of your time) at L4. More spacifically about 90% of LT. in my ameteur opinion, this will cause a lot of lactate to flow through the bloodstream, but not enough to activate the anaerobic energy system. so this basically causes the body adapt to the high levels of lactate.

spending some time at L5 will overflow the bloodstream with lactate and the buffering agents will be "backlogged". the body will be uncomfortable, but the interval is not very long. the good news is that the body will be able to tolerate more lactate, hence you can generate more power without being in pain. after L5 work, i would say the next day should be kinda relaxed (whatever that means for you) as excess lactate does a lot of damage. especially after 3-6 L5 intervals.
anyway, what i am saying is that if you want a lot of power for a 40K TT, spend a LOT of time close or at TT power with some time above TT power. and dont worry about the 100% TT power for a whole hour, cause knowing that you are in a race (if a TT is a race) gets the adrenaline flowing. and getting into a groove helps to.

He didn't mention it but he has to be talking about doing the Race to Replace August 12th on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This won't be a traditional time trial with riders going off every 30 seconds. From what I read there could be hundreds of riders per wave all trying to be the fastest to cover the 25 miles.There will be drafting (big time) and I assume massive mass sprints. It's going to be strange.

25 miles time trial.. hmm lemme see, that sounds like something between a 10k and a half-marathon if we use running terminology. 90% of time with 70% of maxHR, 10% of time with 90-95% of maxHR, and additionally you might have to lift weights 2 times a week, 10-12 reps at 60% of 1RM or more (if you can- given the reps)

Aranesp said:
25 miles time trial.. hmm lemme see, that sounds like something between a 10k and a half-marathon if we use running terminology. 90% of time with 70% of maxHR, 10% of time with 90-95% of maxHR, and additionally you might have to lift weights 2 times a week, 10-12 reps at 60% of 1RM or more (if you can- given the reps)
But this is cycling.

My suggestion. Do a lot of base endurance riding at the start of your season or off-season but your opportunity had probably slipped away months ago. So now we just move onto intensity with NO base...you can still go reasonably well:( .

My suggestion: Weights for a week or 2 weeks Strength endurance drills for 2 weeks up a hill that isn't too steep and takes you about 5 minutes, but remember to vary the distances and gradients. Incorporate some long rides into this phase aswell!. Start doing TT efforts at LT (or just over or just below LT) for about 20km's, do two 20kmTT's in one session but make sure you have atleast 1/2 an hour recovery these sessions would be best done on the w/e due to the large amount of time it takes, during the week do some shorter efforts like 5km's times 3 with about 5 minutes recovery (A little bit over LT) This phase should last about 2-3 weeks and you should be doing the intensity sessions 3-4 times a week. The third phase is a bit more speed work, 20 times 1km efforts with 1km rest inbetween (GO FLAT OUT) this should get your HR upto atleast 95% by the end of the KM...obviously mix up the distances a little bit like 10 times 2km or 30 times 700m, this phase should last a week or two. Finish it off with this session 4 times 10km efforts with just 2-3 minutes recovery, in effect training your body to get the distance efficiently. The second last week would be spinning little gears and doing shorter sprint efforts at max hr (200-500m efforts), also try and do a few effforts behind a motorbike to keep your cadence high and smooth. Last week is recovery.

In my plan you would need about 8-10 weeks. How much time have you got? If you have more time than this then start doing LSD rides at 65-70% max hr straight away.

park said:
He didn't mention it but he has to be talking about doing the Race to Replace August 12th on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This won't be a traditional time trial with riders going off every 30 seconds. From what I read there could be hundreds of riders per wave all trying to be the fastest to cover the 25 miles.There will be drafting (big time) and I assume massive mass sprints. It's going to be strange.
Surely he knows the diff of a TT and a road race?