Increasing Power

TourdeForce2424

Nov 25, 2003
What is the best way to increase your average sustained power? What kind of workouts can you do to get better at being able to hold a really high wattage for a long time ( like around an hour or above)?

Originally posted by TourdeForce2424
What is the best way to increase your average sustained power?
Training :D
What kind of workouts can you do to get better at being able to hold a really high wattage for a long time ( like around an hour or above)?
Errr. Aerobic Training :rolleyes: :cool:

90% of threads in this forum are on this topic, you should be able to find all the answers you need.

I am just so tired of conflicting information and training programs. Friel says this, but Carmichael says another thing. Just about everyone you talk to has a different opinion. Ric Stern on this site and Greg Lemond both treat weight training as if it were an anchor attached to the back of your seat post by a rope, dragging along the road. Others, like Friel and Carmichael, believe it is essential. I just want to know how I can get fast and increase power. Does doing endurance work and intervals accomplish this? What is the best plan to follow?

I am just so tired of conflicting information and training programs. Friel says this, but Carmichael says another thing. Just about everyone you talk to has a different opinion. Ric Stern on this site and Greg Lemond both treat weight training as if it were an anchor attached to the back of your seat post by a rope, dragging along the road. Others, like Friel and Carmichael, believe it is essential. I just want to know how I can get fast and increase power. Does doing endurance work and intervals accomplish this? What is the best plan to follow?

I like the anchor attached to your seat post by a rope! never heard that before!

What events do you compete in (e.g. RRs, track sprint, MTB)? That'd help so we can give you some general ideas.

ric

I was thinking of starting a thread “some kind of sub maximal force training or something” but I was a little afraid I get posts like “your an idiot” and I’m getting a little old to be an idiot so I’m going to drop this in right here....

Started experimenting with increased power production. I am doing this in a group indoor cycling room where there is no power monitors.. so a bit of a challenge.

Started with simple out of the saddle low cadence simulated climb at a modest to heavy resistance, every 30 seconds we sat and increased cadence to as fast as we could muster for 5 seconds then resumed the slow climb we kept this up for twelve minutes.

The plan is to schedule this or something similar into next months training calendar. The routine will consist of ( over a month or so ) ever decreasing spaces between till we are down to 5 seconds down 10 seconds up.

Then possibly start expanding the down time to 10 seconds down 30 second up etc. All in all I’m thinking this would be a 12 minute per week component in a 7 hour a week training regime.

I was watching the cadence of the 15 people in the group as well as monitoring my own. We all climbed at cadence of 65 and sprinted at various cadences from 80 to about 110 which seemed to me, to be a relevant training cadence

I don’t know what the training effect will be.. I can guess.. we will see

We did this last Sunday, did a 2 hour ride (base/easy) last night and my legs are trashed this morning. Doesn’t quite feel like recovery from anaerobic training nor quite like DOMS from hypertrophy, maybe a bit of both ? This is very different to how they felt last Tuesday.

I and another ( possibly becoming a small group ) are getting out every Saturday and riding bigger and bigger hills. I think this is also doing a lot for our power production....

sorry, life is full of conflict

I do road races, but I'm interested in doing an hour time trial. I figure if I can sustain elite power levels (400 watts and above) for over an hour, I should be OK in everything else. I just don't know how to go about getting to this point.

I do road races, but I'm interested in doing an hour time trial. I figure if I can sustain elite power levels (400 watts and above) for over an hour, I should be OK in everything else. I just don't know how to go about getting to this point.

I know I go on a bit.. but really.. go find a cycling coach.
It's not about the right type of training..It's about the right type of training for you !

How much do you weigh and what sort of power can you currently put out (out of curiousity)?

Originally posted by edd
I know I go on a bit.. but really.. go find a cycling coach.
It's not about the right type of training..It's about the right type of training for you !

I was going to mention this next!

TdF2424, if you're approaching 400 W, then it's most likely general advice over the net isn't going to cut it for you. As Edd states, you most likely need to find a coach, whether it's me or someone else.

Either way, i can guarantee weight training won't help for 400+ W for an hour!

ric