Individual travel in Tibet

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Per LöWdin, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Kris

    Kris Guest

    >Just the killing, raping and torturing stuff is bad, I suppose.

    Of course that's bad, absolutely no question about it. The Chinese have done/are doing some horribel
    things in Tibet to the Tibetan people, but do you think life in medieval Tibet was any better? To
    the contrary.

    >Here's a clue for you: it's admirable to sacrifice personal pleasure for a noble principle.

    Fair enough, that's admirable, but where does it end? Soon we'll need a manual for life to determine
    what we can do/eat/drink and where we can go. There will always be someone who tells us no to go
    there/eat/drink/do/... this because there always always always is something/somebody/... involved
    someone does not like.

    Kris

  2. Miguel Cruz

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Markku Grönroos <[email protected]> wrote:
    > It IS the Chinese who control visits to Tibet. Nobody cares about such claims of powerless
    > Swedes. Actually my suggestion is to contact a Chinese agency to find out these technicalities.
    > It might be far more laborous then than to get similar piece of information concerning most
    > other countries. Somebody suggested a Lonely Planet database, which may turn to be a fertile
    > piece of advive.

    They suggested an online forum just like this one, except web-based.

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

  3. Dieter Aaa

    Dieter Aaa Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Who is more reliable on a decision to be made by Chinese?
    >
    > Markku: are you at all aware of Sino-Tibetan relations? The Chinese have no more right to be there
    > than Russia or Sweden has had in their claims to Finland. Tibet is occupied.
    >
    > In fact the case of Finland offers some hope. The Finns survived hundreds of years of Swedish and
    > Russian occupation.

    Same for the Flemings: Hundreds of years of french occupation or repression made them strong. Also
    economically and financially but most of all morally These days, the Flemings even are helping their
    former occupants Every year, every Flemish family is transferring the value of 25% of an average
    family car to every frenchspeaking family

    > Hopefully, the Tibetans may do the same and emerge as an independent nation one day.

    There will be a day that Tibetans will be economically stronger than China (GDP per headcount) The
    reasons are obvious: their moral strength is growing faster than in China

  4. "Dieter Aaa" <Dieter [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > There will be a day that Tibetans will be economically stronger than China (GDP per headcount) The
    > reasons are obvious: their moral strength is growing faster than in

    I wouldn't put my money on this horse.

  5. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > The Chinese have done/are doing some horribel things in Tibet to the Tibetan people, but do you
    > think life in medieval Tibet was any better?

    What do you mean with medieval Tibet? Are you referring to the time of the 2d Dalai Lama? Or the
    last days before the Chinese took over in 1959? In any case they have not accomplished anything that
    would justify genocide. The Han Chinese have in fact turned Tibet into a colony.

    Per http://lowdin.nu

  6. On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:05:09 GMT, the renowned "Per Löwdin"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> The Chinese have done/are doing some horribel things in Tibet to the Tibetan people, but do you
    >> think life in medieval Tibet was any better?
    >
    >What do you mean with medieval Tibet? Are you referring to the time of the 2d Dalai Lama? Or the
    >last days before the Chinese took over in 1959? In any case they have not accomplished anything
    >that would justify genocide. The Han Chinese have in fact turned Tibet into a colony.

    As well, the ethnic Tibetans are close (perhaps past) being outnumbered in Tibet by transplanted Han
    Chinese- and more are pouring in every day. The Dalai Lama appears to have abandoned any hope of an
    independent Tibet and to be working towards a deal for some kind of limited Tibetan autonomy with
    the Chinese government.

    Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
    --
    "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" [email protected] Info for manufacturers:
    http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

  7. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > It IS the Chinese who control visits to Tibet.

    Right, and the last time we were travelling there it felt pretty much as it might have felt to go
    touristing in France or Holland 1942. Per http://lowdin.nu

  8. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > the ethnic Tibetans are close (perhaps past) being outnumbered in Tibet

    Depends on area. The Han Chinese generally hate to be there. Some go because the one-child-per-family-
    policy is not implemented in Tibet. In fact Han Chines who go there can have as many as they like,
    unlike in China, a telling fact. Think in Lhasa Tibetans are a minority, and in some eastern areas:
    e.g., Amdo.

    Per http://lowdin.nu

  9. Hh

    Hh Guest

    Wow! If you actually do this, the account of your trip should be published..

    Harlan
    -----
    Soft adventure tours at http://softadventure.net/tours.htm