Indoor trainer blues...

I have been having the same problem. My goal is to compete well int he spring so that I can becoem a member of one the bike shop team, and so I need to get a good base going this winter. (I am new to cycling, as this summer was my first season)

I like to read novels (I'm an english lit major in college) and ride in an upright position holding the novel.

They make a thing that clips to your handle bars to hold a magazine or book also, so you can ride in the normal position.

I also have my trainer set up in front of my TV

I have an annoying roommate so pissing her off by riding is a fun activity for me too! lol.

Hope sme of the suggestions help.

Keeping my heart rate at 85% of maximum makes the time fly for me. I also ride a recumbent crosstrainer that allows incline press and curls with dumbells as you warm up. I put it under my lat bar bolted it to the floor put a seat belt on it so I can do front lat pull downs during the cool down. I like to fill every moment.:)

remail99 said:
Winter in the Northwest has forced me inside. Does anyone have any tips to overcome boredom riding on a bike trainer? Not riding isn't an option because I want to compete in duathlon/tri's in the spring and generally the bike is my weak point.

Thanks for any tips! :)

remail99 said:
Winter in the Northwest has forced me inside. Does anyone have any tips to overcome boredom riding on a bike trainer? Not riding isn't an option because I want to compete in duathlon/tri's in the spring and generally the bike is my weak point.

Thanks for any tips! :)
Just more of the same comments. Find a nice view for your trainer (have mine in my home office looking out 2 windows). Get yourself some training videos (I have a few Spinervals) and run them in your lap top or desk computer. Personally I find all I really need is the audio for the DVD, especially after viewing a few times. But the real trick is to have something to do every few minutes. The DVD sessions do this but of course you could just create your own training session and plaster it within view and follow it. Create various/multiple training sessions and pick one for the day. Forces you to keep track of what you are doing and as long as there is no long periods (5+ mins) you will find yourself tracking your current interval/recovery period and watching for the start of the next one pretty much most of your time. With such a regime I'm finding my indoor trainer rides almost as enjoyable and definitely more productive than my outdoor rides this time of year.

One thing I worry about reading these posts... don't let the avoidance of bordom alter your training. Many of th Spinervals are higher cadence speed work. Same with sprinting when the ball is in play/during commercials etc. If that is what you should be doing at this point in the season, great. If you are supposed to laying in the base miles, then I would focus on that...

Well I have to say the video was interesting. But I'm thinking what benefit could that possibly have over something as simple as a set of rollers and a trainer? :confused: I'm no expert at this but I think if I had that kind of money to spend (personal, club, exercise center), rollers and trainers can do as much or better with less maintaince concerns. Rollers help improve your riding style and aerobic limits. Trainer lets you do both aerobic and anaerobic strength training with some freedoms to stand, sprint or just watch TV and grind away. I can think of a better way to spend the rest of that 35K (like a TT bike, training bike, racing wheels, winter vacation/training session down south, coach). And from what I caught in that video, max speed is limited to 25 mph, so no sprint training on that device. That and no mention of simulating resistance due to wind. I can sustain 32 mph for 40 mins on my rollers with no wind resistance in play. If that device made no effort to do the same, 25 mph is a pretty sedate pace for exercising on my bike.

chrispopovic said:
Your other option is to hit the lottery and give this a try. It's called the Inside Ride Super Trainer and it simulates outdoor riding. It's basically a big treadmill for your bike. You can take rides from your bike computer and upload them into the unit. You can spin on this thing all day and it's just like being outside. Of course it'll set you back about $40K but it's only money. Actually, you should start to see these in higher-end bike training and coaching facilities pretty soon.

www.insideride.com

I agree with fabiosav. I have little time to watch TV when I'm focusing in on the current interval, cadence, and heart rate to make sure I'm where I'm supposed to be for the training I am focusing in on. Plus focusing in on what you are doing will help you when you are out on the road doing the same or in a race.

fabiosav said:
One thing I worry about reading these posts... don't let the avoidance of bordom alter your training. Many of th Spinervals are higher cadence speed work. Same with sprinting when the ball is in play/during commercials etc. If that is what you should be doing at this point in the season, great. If you are supposed to laying in the base miles, then I would focus on that...