Injury and recovery. What next?

Roadracerash1

Jun 30, 2011
During the last two weeks I have not been able to cycle at all due to a vehicle knocking me down which has left me with bodily damage. I think my next step might be physiotherapy as the pain hasn't subsided. I do not believe that I will be cycling for quite some time which has left me questioning about the rest of the year. Im 18 and this is my second season road cycling but I have never had to deal with such a set back in my training. I was thinking of joining a club and possibly competing in some entry level racing. But now I think I have two decisions. Do I A) Recover until I'm completely better, thats If ill be able to cycle again, and salvage the end of the season. Or do I B) Recover but start again next year? Regardless of which path I take I think reversability will have taken its effects. What would you do? Your help would be appreciated.

Being 18 you have youth on your side. Take care of your injuries and work with your medical staff to get back to health.

Dave is right. Don't start riding until you are cleared to by your Doc and then take it from there.

You're lucky that you're still young and most probably recover a bit faster, however I think that you should not ask your question on a message board, even with maybe some doctors as a forum member it's up to your own doctor to decide what's best for you.... and if you don't like his answer, go to another one and get a second opinion ;-) Take care!

Thanks for all your responses. Its fantastic to see these comments. Yeah I'm still recorvering and going through treatment. I bought myself a new Trek 1.2 to cheer myself up and to have something to look forward to after I have recovered (and put on half a stone.) The doctors have been pretty good. Looking forward to getting back on the road and putting in some miles. I might have been a little upset and depressed during my original thread comment. Being on multiple pain killers and anti inflammatories what not.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 6
Having access to a good physiotherapist during times like that is almost invaluable. Sadly, finding one that really is good can be tricky at best and time consuming, costly and dissapointing at worst.

Get well first and when you're able to get back out on the bike and take it easy at first.

Given that you said you'd gained "half a stone" I'm guessing you're over somewhere in the British Isles... so there's still quite alot of the racing season left. As you're just getting started don't worry too much about form or fitness as a guide to start racing - just do it, once you've healed from your injuries.

Have fun and have at it...

Follow your doctors orders yes but don't let any mental block about getting back in the saddle haunt you. You may be strong mentally but there is always doubt and a little paranoia after an injury, even if you don't realize it .At least that has been my experience .

What exactly are the extents of your injuries?.

I recommend that you do not become a couch potato; use it or lose it. Unless you are in a full body cast, you can maintain a base level of fitness and explore other activities while on the mend.

Healing is not a pain free process, the more work you put into it, the better the results will be. My personal experience has been to resume the activity at a modified, manageable level as soon as possible after an injury.

The injurys were mostly soft tissue with a few cracks in my ribs (according to xrays). But i have been suffering with my knee mostly. But i have been showing signs of improvement. I know .. I think its mostly psychological with me. I sort of shudder everytime I see a van (as that was the vehicle that hit me). I've been told that.. well... I had a lucky escape. The van stopped meer feet away from my head. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif. Still waiting for the all clear so I can hit the roads again (hopefully not literally this time).