Advice re: Set up After Injury

RoadRoses

Aug 13, 2010
Hi All -
I'm new to the forum and pretty new to cycling as well. I was up to about 60 miles a week when I broke one of the fingers in my right (dominant) hand in three (!) places (it was a non-cycling related accident). I should be able to start riding again in a few more weeks when the last pin comes out, so I've been thinking about the best way to set-up my bike so that there's not too much stress on my hands and also to account for my weakened grip.
I currently have drop handlebars, but found I almost never rode in the drops and was having issues with wrist pain after long rides, probably from having my weight too far forward (not necessarily the fault of the drops, but definitely a problem I want to avoid now, especially). I was thinking it might be good for me to get bullhorn handlebars and adjust so I'm not leaning over too much, and then temporarily switch the brake cables so that the hand with the better grip (now my left) controls the rear brake.
What would you all suggest?

I'd suggest getting your fit dialed in so that you don't have too much weight on your hands. There's nothing advantageous about bullhorn handlebars.

I think most avid cyclists have a bad habit when it comes to form. The correct position for hands on the drop bars should be so that your arms are like shock absorbers. Not rigid. If you ride with your hands on the hoods, you might be putting too much weight forward. Try to bend at your elbows more. Try not to push high speeds, big gears or steep climbs. Probably best to spin indoors.
Aero-bars (aka: bull horns) are another way to relieve your hand issue but with aero-bars the position might be uncomfortable for your back for long rides. You also lose some control.
If you had your bike fit before the accident that is good. To change your seat position or pedals of your bar-stem might cause other physical issues.

Some cyclists when they place their hands on the hoods have their elbows locked and thus this will place more weight on your hands. If you place your hands on the brake hoods try to keep your elbows bent slightly that should relieve pressure on the hands.

Crazymike said:
Some cyclists when they place their hands on the hoods have their elbows locked and thus this will place more weight on your hands. If you place your hands on the brake hoods try to keep your elbows bent slightly that should relieve pressure on the hands.

Sure, but that's a function of the rider or the fit or both. Riding on the hoods doesn't really have anything to do with it. I've seen riders with their hands on the tops, with their elbows locked out.

What bullhorns do that is different than drop bars is that they limit the number of hand positions compared to drop bars.