Inner Tube Sizes

cyclemanx

Jan 4, 2006
The size range of bicycle inner tubes is usually printed on the tube.
Well, sometimes it isn't, and sometimes it says something like “609-642 28-37”.
This example indicates that the tube can be installed on any wheel rim from 609mm to 642mm diameter, and from 28mm to 37mm wide. That would include 700c (622mm) and 27 inch (630mm) wheels.
If that is correct, then we have a universal tube size that could be called 609/642 28/37S (S for Schraeder, P for Presta) on the box, so we would instantly know what it is, and what rims/tires it will fit.
It shouldn't be too hard to identify some other universal size tubes in the same way.
What do you think?

I think it is good in an ideal world.

However, in reality, many people will not buy a tube for their 700c unless 700c is listed on the box, same mindset for 27"

So, yes that is a very logical way to do it, but the huge mindset shift would be difficult.

Heck, just consider something (I jjust heard this). There are only 4 countries in the world left that aren't on the metric system... How long has that move been in the works, and how long until it finally completes? I think it will happen, since almost anything scientific or medical is already metric... and translated to imperial for the masses when needed.

as someone who works at a bike shop, i'll tell you, your system will never work.

People have a hard enough time identifying what size tube goes in their tire because tires are one size, and tubes can fit in a range of tire sizes. You'd be amazed how many times I'm asked "My tire sidewall says it's a 700-23, but all your tubes are 700x20-26, what tube am I supposed to use for a 23 width?

There will always be people who are clueless as to what size tube they need, and you have to guess for them, people who are smart enough to remember what is on their tire sidewall and ask for help, and people who actually know what all the numbers represent, and help themselves.

Most of the people who walk though the doors of a bike shop are not full on bike enthusiests, but instead beginners or those who don't care to know more about bikes.

cyclemanx said:
The size range of bicycle inner tubes is usually printed on the tube.
Well, sometimes it isn't, and sometimes it says something like “609-642 28-37”.
This example indicates that the tube can be installed on any wheel rim from 609mm to 642mm diameter, and from 28mm to 37mm wide. That would include 700c (622mm) and 27 inch (630mm) wheels.
If that is correct, then we have a universal tube size that could be called 609/642 28/37S (S for Schraeder, P for Presta) on the box, so we would instantly know what it is, and what rims/tires it will fit.
It shouldn't be too hard to identify some other universal size tubes in the same way.
What do you think?
Check the Continetal web site, the Unitube system covers what you are suggesting. ;)

Magic! Thanks for that.
The Continental system is better and more comprehensive than what I had in mind.
Their tube valve type codes can be a bit confusing - D = Dunlop/Woods. A = Schraeder. S = Presta.
They call my “609-642 28-37” example "Tour 28 Slim". So that's all you need to know to purchase a standard touring/cross Continental tube.
The problem remains that unless all tube manufacturers produced tubes of equal quality, weight, and dimensions, they will never actually be the same, no matter what they call them. Having said that, it would still be a move in the right direction if something similar to the Continental system became an internationally accepted standard.