Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Inside frametube corrosion protection

Started by Duncan Cooper · · Last activity · 13 posts · 1,668 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 March 2004
Last activity
14 March 2004
Original author
Duncan Cooper
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,668
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just finished building a new bike. Now that the paint's
    cured it's time to address coating the inside of the
    frametubes to prevent rust (steel frame).

    I know about JP Weigels Framesaver (spelling ?), but I
    suspect there are other ways to do the job. Linseed Oil ?
    Other methods ? Do I really want to put something petroleum
    down the seat tube (dont want the seatpost to slip) ?

    Before I do something I regret, I seek the "wisdom of the
    hive". Someone has crossed this bridge before.

    Thanks

    Coop (freezing in Cleveland)

  2. "Duncan Cooper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just finished building a new bike. Now that the paint's
    cured it's time to address coating the inside of the
    frametubes to prevent rust (steel frame).

    I know about JP Weigels Framesaver (spelling ?), but I
    suspect there are other ways to do the job. Linseed
    Oil ? Other methods ? Do I really want to put
    something petroleum down the seat tube (dont want the
    seatpost to slip) ?

    Before I do something I regret, I seek the "wisdom of the
    hive". Someone has crossed this bridge before.

    Thanks

    Coop (freezing in Cleveland)

    There are other ways of accomplishing what you want, but
    IMO FrameSaver is the easiest and best way to do it.
    Serotta, among others, use it at their factory on all their
    steel frames.

  3. "Dave Thompson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Duncan Cooper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just finished building a new bike. Now that the paint's
    cured it's time to address coating the inside of the
    frametubes to prevent rust (steel frame).

    I know about JP Weigels Framesaver (spelling ?), but I
    suspect there are other ways to do the job. Linseed Oil
    ? Other methods ? Do I really want to put something
    petroleum down the seat tube (dont want the seatpost to
    slip) ?

    Before I do something I regret, I seek the "wisdom of
    the hive". Someone has crossed this bridge before.

    Thanks

    Coop (freezing in Cleveland)

    There are other ways of accomplishing what you want, but
    IMO FrameSaver is the easiest and best way to do it.
    Serotta, among others, use it at their factory on all
    their steel frames.

    I've used linseed oil in the past but when you combine the
    ease of use with Framesavers reasonable price it is the way
    to go... I don't remember if they tell you to use under WELL
    ventilated conditions but I would recomend it...

  4. On 11 Mar 2004 07:38:10 -0800 [email hidden] (Duncan Cooper)

    Quoted message said:

    Just finished building a new bike. Now that the paint's
    cured it's time to address coating the inside of the
    frametubes to prevent rust (steel frame).

    I know about JP Weigels Framesaver (spelling ?), but I
    suspect there are other ways to do the job. Linseed Oil ?
    Other methods ? Do I really want to put something petroleum
    down the seat tube (dont want the seatpost to slip) ?

    Framesaver is probably fine. I like LPS-3.

    You DEFINITELY DO want to put something petroleum down your
    seat tube. Slipping is never a problem if the seat post is
    the right size and the seat clamp region is round. OTOH, dry
    seat tubes often rust onto seat posts and create BIG
    problems when they eventually seize up.

    -
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim Adney [email hidden] Madison, WI 53711 USA
    -----------------------------------------------

  5. Quoted message said:

    Just finished building a new bike. Now that the paint's
    cured it's time to address coating the inside of the
    frametubes to prevent rust (steel frame).

    I know about JP Weigels Framesaver (spelling ?), but I
    suspect there are other ways to do the job.

    Since you know about the best product why would you want to
    use anything else? And you must use grease or-better-anti-seize-
    for the ST/seat post or it will seize. The grease or anti-
    sieze will not cause a correctly fitting ST/SP to slip.
    Phil Brown

  6. permatex.comRecProd.asp

    permatex.comChassis.asp
    es&f_call=get_item&item_no=27100

    mix anti seize with lnseed oil for the seat tube.

    linseed alone for a used bike or clean and apply white rusto
    on a hot day to drive out h20 of, and i don't know, the
    framsaver is a latex coating then its probably inferior to
    the linseed.

  7. permatex.comRecProd.asp

    permatex.comChassis.asp
    es&f_call=get_item&item_no=27100

    mix anti seize with lnseed oil for the seat tube.

    linseed alone for a used bike or clean and apply white rusto
    on a hot day to drive out h20 of, and i don't know, the
    framsaver is a latex coating then its probably inferior to
    the linseed.

  8. White lithium grease comes in spray cans at auto stores and
    the auto section of Wal-Mart. About $1.79 a can. Probably
    very close to where they keep the WD-40 type products. When
    I built up my new steel bike 6 years ago I sprayed the
    inside of all the tubes through the vent holes. And on the
    subsequent complete overhauls and stripping of all
    components off the frame, I have sometimes remembered to
    spray some more grease inside the frame tubes. Same can I
    bought 6 years ago. And if for some reason I need to spray
    grease onto something or into an area to stop a squeak, I
    have a can of grease handy. Or if I run out of Pennzoil
    wheel bearing grease in the middle of repacking my hub
    bearings, I have plenty of reserve grease in the can. Can't
    do that with the pricey Frame Saver product. Of course I
    could just go to Wal-Mart and buy a tub of Pennzoil wheel
    bearing grease for $1.99 24 hours a day.

    [email hidden] (Duncan Cooper) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Just finished building a new bike. Now that the paint's
    cured it's time to address coating the inside of the
    frametubes to prevent rust (steel frame).

    I know about JP Weigels Framesaver (spelling ?), but I
    suspect there are other ways to do the job. Linseed
    Oil ? Other methods ? Do I really want to put
    something petroleum down the seat tube (dont want the
    seatpost to slip) ?

    Before I do something I regret, I seek the "wisdom of the
    hive". Someone has crossed this bridge before.

    Thanks

    Coop (freezing in Cleveland)

  9. Duncan Cooper said:

    Just finished building a new bike. Now that the paint's
    cured it's time to address coating the inside of the frame
    tubes to prevent rust (steel frame).

    You don't need anything inside the frame from my experience.
    The only frames that I saw rust out were those where a
    painter left a newspaper or rag in the seat tube. These get
    moist and can cause tube failure. I've ridden a few bicycles
    over 100,000's of miles in all kinds of weather here and in
    Europe with no rust problems. My frame builders, Johnson and
    Ritchey can tell you the same. They don't coat the insides
    of their steel frames with exotic preparations.

    Quoted message said:

    I know about JP Weigle Framesaver, but I suspect there are
    other ways to do the job. Linseed Oil ? Other methods ? Do
    I really want to put something petroleum down the seat
    tube (don't want the seatpost to slip) ?

    Putting grease on the seat post and frame tube is a good
    idea, rather than one to be avoided. This prevents water
    from intruding between aluminum and steel, a high corrosion
    pair if there is one.

    Quoted message said:

    Before I do something I regret, I seek the "wisdom of the
    hive". Someone has crossed this bridge before.

    Just skip the effort that will not improve your frame's
    durability.

    Jobst Brandt [email hidden]

  10. jdcooper<< I know about JP Weigels Framesaver (spelling
    ?), but I suspect there are other ways to do the job.
    Linseed Oil ? Other methods ? Do I really want to put
    something petroleum down the seat tube (dont want the
    seatpost to slip) ?

    Framesaver works well, use that and remember you grease the
    seattube for the seatpost..most greases are just oil and
    soap(petroleum).

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  11. the weigel: i tried rusto rustsolver. a temp solution.

    the hot dea was to switch from cirtic acid carriers for the
    latex to phosphoric acid carriers? Phos acids change the
    FEO to PhosFEO. problem. acids are solutions in WATER the
    stuff plus O2 that causes FEO and heartburn or worse. so,
    how to get rid of the H2O after the phos changes the FEO to
    PhosFEO? why it goes thru the paint film's holes as the
    film cures.

    Imagine.Amazing.

    all the H20 leaves the steel surface after
    transmogrification leaving no WATER under the now blackend
    pits and as the last water molecule leaves THE FILM'S HOLES
    SLAM SHUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow. hey, give me a
    break. HOLY STP Batman, where's my eggnog?

    try the heatgun rawbin.ead the specs. consult your palm
    reader check the entrails

    a very difficult proposition, an imperfect technology.

  12. A little petroleum won't make the seatpost slip. I always
    smear waterproof grease on my seat post as an antisieze and
    have never had any slipage problems.

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
    for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner geocities.comczcorner

  13. "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How exactly do you use framesaver? I can understand
    easy to reach places, like the seat and head tubes, but
    how do you get the insides of the top and down tubes?
    or the stays?

    You use that tiny tube that comes with it and sticks into
    the spray nozzle like with WD-40. Obviously the bike has to
    be disassembled at key points (BB for chain stays, etc.).

    JF

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.