Is an Alcoholic a Drug Addict?

marrykonta

Oct 2, 2009
Most people have the idea that alcohol is not a drug. Hey, let's face it, it's legal to drink, as long as you're old enough by the local law wherever you are. So that's OK then. It's seen as socially Acceptable.

But of course alcohol is a drug, and alcoholism is just as much a form of drug addiction, as serious as being addicted to marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or any other "Non-legal" drug. The problem is that so many people regard alcohol as just another beverage.

An alcoholic can't live without the "high" that it gives them. Just to re-inforce the point the Food and Drug Administration has in fact classified alcohol as a drug. So by any sensible person's definition an alcoholic is a drug addict.

It's not all doom and gloom, alcoholics can get help for their addiction, just as addicts to other substances can. I'm sure we have all heard of Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.). These are groups of people in pretty much every town, usually run by ex alcoholics, who meets at regular intervals, and work on "The twelve steps to recovery." This is a hard road, and it is accepted that an alcoholic is always an alcoholic and always "recovering."

If you believe that you may be addicted to alcohol and you want to do something about it then get help quickly. The sooner the better. It is everyone's right to have a good long, healthy life. It's not too late. As always, the best time to start your recovery is right now.

Is it bad if I throw back some vodka shots while doing crystal meth? It's what the wife, daughter, and I really like to do on Sundays. It really brings us closer together.

Judging by your recent posts I'd say that you've stumbled across the wrong forum.

Yes and no is the answer to that question.
If you are drinking alcohol quite frequently and it is screwing up your life and you are totally in denial, then you are like a drug addict.
If you are an alcoholic as in AA, you don't drink anymore, but you are aware of how alcohol affected you when you drank, then no you are not like a drug addict.

Alcohol is definitely a drug that people can become addicted to, so drink less beer but better made beer.

alienator said:
Is it bad if I throw back some vodka shots while doing crystal meth? It's what the wife, daughter, and I really like to do on Sundays. It really brings us closer together.

As long as you don't start before Noon it's okay.

64Paramount said:

Oh, good.

I don't want anyone to think that Wifey and I are irresponsible parents. She's not allowed to have booze since she's underage. And she's only allowed to have meth when she's at home or when she steals the car.

64Paramount said:

Well it is 5 o'clock somewhere, right? ;)

So it's OK if I live on the west coast of the US and look at a clock set to GMT and think "Hmmm, it's the middle of the afternoon, time for a brewski..."?

swampy1970 said:
Well it is 5 o'clock somewhere, right? ;)

So it's OK if I live on the west coast of the US and look at a clock set to GMT and think "Hmmm, it's the middle of the afternoon, time for a brewski..."?

That's the way I do it.

Cheers! :D

*****hiccup**** :eek:

64Paramount said:
Dave, it's always Noon somewhere.
I say no drinking before noon except for special occasions.

And a Bloody Mary is exempt from the "before noon" rule.

"In reality, "any substance that by its chemical nature alters structure or function in the living organism is a drug. . . . Pharmacological effects are exerted by foods, vitamins, hormones, microbial, metabolites, plants, snake venoms, stings, products of decay, air pollutants, pesticides, minerals, synthetic chemicals, virtually all foreign materials (very few are completely inert), and many materials normally in the body."
This means that foods, vitamins, hormones and the other substances described are all drugs. Practically everything is a drug including the oxygen we breathe."

Alcohol is a Drug

Does it mean we're all drug addicts..lol

Chavez said:
I say no drinking before noon except for special occasions.

And a Bloody Mary is exempt from the "before noon" rule.

A Bloody Mary is definitely a breakfast drink. :)

dangerousbiker said:
"In reality, "any substance that by its chemical nature alters structure or function in the living organism is a drug. . . . Pharmacological effects are exerted by foods, vitamins, hormones, microbial, metabolites, plants, snake venoms, stings, products of decay, air pollutants, pesticides, minerals, synthetic chemicals, virtually all foreign materials (very few are completely inert), and many materials normally in the body."
This means that foods, vitamins, hormones and the other substances described are all drugs. Practically everything is a drug including the oxygen we breathe."

Not quite -- any substance that, by its chemical nature, alters the NATURAL structure or function in a living organism is a drug, so vitamins and such, and oxygen, are off the list.

Now meth, when given in family-friendly doses, is right on the borderline....

Bloody Marys are purely medicinal.

The RIGHT beer, in moderation, is a supplement.

dangerousbiker said:

You wouldn't go for a pint of any of those though!! :D

Hello marrykonta..
that was a nice post..
Even some people have an idea that meth and marijuana are not drugs.
This type of posts will surely open their eyes towards what drug is and what will be their effects on human life.
Thanx for sharing!!!

Drug Rehab

alienator said:
I found that the vodka goes further if I combine the wife and daughter into a single entity.
You're right though about the age thing...no more than a single bottle at a session or it's early to bed with no dinner.

stevebaby said:
I found that the vodka goes further if I combine the wife and daughter into a single entity.
You're right though about the age thing...no more than a single bottle at a session or it's early to bed with no dinner.

It's OK to drink in bed, though...

If it says it is.

Riddle me this:

If Alcoholism is not a disease (as that a55 from the Malibu Clinic claims), how can there be a cure for it? The title of his book is The Cure for Alcoholism.

I often wonder how stupid people become so rich and famous.