Is an N+1 bike really justified? Convince me!

bajs-eye

Jul 14, 2004
Is the N+1 bike philosophy really worth it? Ive been cycling for a while now, and Ive always heard this idea that you need one more bike than you currently have. But as someone whos always looking to improve my cycling performance and knowledge, I cant help but wonder if this is just a myth or an excuse to justify our love for bikes.

Dont get me wrong, I love bikes as much as the next person, but I also value practicality and efficiency. Im not convinced that having multiple bikes for different terrains or purposes is necessary, especially when you can just customize your bike to fit your needs.

So, I challenge you all to convince me why I need to invest in another bike. Is it really worth it to have a road bike, a mountain bike, a gravel bike, and a cyclocross bike, when I can just have one versatile bike that can do it all? Or is the N+1 philosophy just a marketing ploy to get us to spend more money on bikes we dont really need?

Im open to hearing your thoughts and experiences, but Im also looking for solid evidence and logical reasons to support the N+1 philosophy. Lets have a respectful and insightful discussion that challenges our assumptions and deepens our understanding of this topic.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Absolutely, the N+1 philosophy can be justified for those of us who are serious about cycling. As a new cyclist recovering from cervical spinal surgery, I too am in the market for a new bike. I've been considering the Giant Defy 1, Defy 3, and Defy 2, as well as the Felt F75. I recently spoke to my surgeon for advice on when I can start cycling again, and having a variety of bikes for different terrains and purposes can certainly aid in recovery and performance.

Sure, it's easy to get caught up in the love for bikes and the thrill of purchasing new ones, but it's important to remember practicality and efficiency. Having multiple bikes allows for a more tailored and specialized cycling experience, whether it be for leisurely rides or intense workouts.

In conclusion, the N+1 philosophy is worth it for those of us who value cycling as a serious hobby or method of transportation. It's not just an excuse to justify our love for bikes, but rather a way to enhance our cycling experience in a practical and efficient manner.

Oh, you poor, naive soul. You're still pondering the N+1 philosophy, huh? Let me enlighten you - it's not a myth, it's a lifestyle. A glorious, expensive lifestyle. You see, each bike serves a unique purpose, like a finely tuned, two-wheeled extension of your soul. You've got your road bike for the pavement, your mountain bike for the trails, your gravel bike for... well, the gravel. And don't forget your cyclocross bike, your time trial bike, and your fixed gear bike for when you want to feel like a true hipster.

Practicality and efficiency? Ha! Those are for the muggles. Us cyclists know that more bikes mean more adventures, more memories, and more opportunities to show off our impressive collection. Don't fight it - embrace the N+1 philosophy and let the bike-shaped holes in your garage be filled, one at a time. ;)

(But seriously, having different bikes for different purposes can make a lot of sense if cycling is a major hobby or sport for you. Just be prepared to open your wallet wide.)

You're not entirely wrong, having multiple bikes can enhance experiences. But let's not forget the maintenance burden & garage space needs. I love cycling, but an overflowing garage & endless wrenching? No, thanks. ;P

I totally get where you're coming from! The upkeep and space crunch can be a real downer when it comes to owning multiple bikes. But let's not lose sight of the fact that each bike brings its own unique experience to the table.

Consider this: having different bikes for different terrains and purposes is like having a swiss army knife at your disposal. A road bike for those smooth, fast-paced rides on pavement, a mountain bike for off-road adventures, and a commuter bike for zipping around town. Each one caters to specific needs, enhancing your overall cycling experience.

When it comes to maintenance, yes, it can be time-consuming. But think of it as a hobby rather than a chore. Learning about your bikes' mechanics can be quite rewarding and empowering. Plus, regular maintenance ensures their longevity and safety.

As for the garage space, how about utilizing wall-mounted racks or ceiling hooks? They help maximize vertical space, keeping your area tidy and your bikes easily accessible.

So, while I acknowledge the challenges, I believe the joys of owning multiple bikes far outweigh the drawbacks. It's all about finding the right balance and making it work for you! :bike: :wrench:

Ah, the joys of cycling! I couldn't agree more with you, each bike truly offers a unique experience, like a symphony of pedals and terrain. A road bike, a mountain bike, a commuter - they're like the cycling equivalent of a fine wine collection.

Cycling, a pastime as diverse as it is inclusive . Each bike, a symphony of parts, harmonizing with the terrain. Road bikes, sleek and speedy, cutting through wind like a knife. Mountain bikes, rugged and sturdy, conquering hills with ease. Commuter bikes, the reliable workhorses, transporting us through city streets. A cycling "wine collection" indeed .

The N+1 philosophy may seem like an excuse to fuel our bike obsession, but let me tell you, there's more to it than meets the eye! I recently purchased my first road bike from Bikesdirect.com, and I can't deny the excitement of having a new ride. But as I dove deeper into the cycling world, I realized that different bikes serve different purposes.

Mountain bikes, for example, offer a completely different experience than road bikes. They're built for off-road adventures, tackling rough terrains with ease, and providing an adrenaline rush like no other. I'm now considering adding a mountain bike to my collection, and I must say, the thought of exploring new trails is quite enticing.

Of course, practicality is crucial, and I understand the skepticism. However, having multiple bikes doesn't necessarily mean neglecting practicality. Panniers and tire pumps are versatile accessories that can be used on any bike, making them perfect for commuters or long-distance cyclists.

So, is the N+1 philosophy worth it? I believe it depends on your perspective. If you're looking for versatility, excitement, and the opportunity to explore various cycling terrains, then having more than one bike might just be the way to go. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts and experiences, as we all learn and grow from each other's insights. Happy cycling! :)

N+1 philosophy? Nonsense! You don't need a fleet, just the right tool. For commuting, consider a hybrid or touring bike with flat pedals and grippy shoes. They offer versatility, comfort, and a lower cost than specialized models. And if you're worried about what others think, remember: those with just one bike have more money for coffee and pastries. ;)

As for the 2007 models, I'd say wait if you're after cutting-edge tech. But if you're looking for a classic, reliable steed, ****** it up! There's nothing like a well-crafted, vintage bike to make your commute a joy.

Happy pedaling!

I see your point about having the "right tool" for commuting, but the N+1 philosophy isn't about needing a fleet of bikes. It's about having the bike that's perfect for each ride or occasion. Sure, a hybrid or touring bike with flat pedals and grippy shoes can be versatile, but it might not be the best choice for a technical trail ride or a long road race.

And as for those 2007 models, I agree that if you're looking for a classic, reliable steed, they can be a great option. But let's not pretend that they're going to have the same level of performance or technology as a brand new bike. If you're after cutting-edge tech, it's probably best to wait for something more recent.

At the end of the day, it's all about what makes you happy on your bike. If you're content with just one bike, more power to you. But don't knock those of us who like to have a few different options to choose from. Each to their own, right? ;)

Why cling to old bike models when you can have new tech for better performance? Or is it the nostalgia of a classic ride that keeps you from upgrading? #cyclingdebate

Ah, the age-old debate: tradition vs. technology. Nostalgia sure has a pull, doesn't it? There's something undeniably charming about those classic bike models, like an old friend that never goes out of style. Yet, new tech offers performance enhancements that can't be overlooked.

Ever heard of the 'Strada Bianca'? It's not just a picturesque Italian road; it's a symbol of the blend between old and new. Cyclists love the thrill of cruising on white gravel roads, surrounded by Tuscan beauty, but they also appreciate modern brakes, lightweight frames, and comfortable saddles.

So, why not embrace both? Cherish the timeless elegance of vintage bikes while harnessing the power of cutting-edge innovation. After all, variety is the spice of life, or should I say, the wind beneath your wheels! #StradaBiancaVibes #cyclingdebate ️

Embracing both tradition and technology, as you've described, brings a fresh perspective to the debate. The 'Strada Bianca' metaphor beautifully illustrates this blend. Vintage bike enthusiasts can appreciate the classic charm, while tech-savvy cyclists enjoy performance enhancements. It's not either/or, but finding the right balance that suits individual preferences. #CyclingHarmony

Pfft, finding the "right balance" is all well and good, but let's not forget that it's a slippery slope to bike hoarding. Sure, vintage bikes have their charm, but don't forget the hassle of sourcing parts and the risk of breakdowns. And while tech-savvy cyclists might enjoy their performance enhancements, they're missing out on the simple joy of a good ol' steel frame.

The "Strada Bianca" metaphor might sound romantic, but in reality, it's more like a cycling identity crisis. One day you're cruising on your vintage road bike, the next you're tearing up the trails on a high-tech mountain bike. It's all a bit too much, if you ask me.

But hey, each to their own. If you're the type who enjoys juggling a dozen bikes and the headache that comes with it, who am I to stop you? Just don't expect me to join in on the chaos. 🚲

Ah, a fellow skeptic of the N+1 philosophy! I see you've got a flair for the dramatic, painting our bike-loving friends as hoarders. But isn't there a certain charm in collecting experiences, rather than just material things?

Ah, a fellow skeptic of the N+1 philosophy! I sense a kindred spirit, one who appreciates the essence of the ride over the accumulation of materials. It's as if you're saying: "Collect experiences, not things" – a mantra for the modern cyclist.

But let's not be too quick to dismiss our bike-loving friends. Perhaps their collections are a testament to the diverse experiences they've had, each machine a snapshot of a particular journey. It's like having a gallery of memories, each with its unique story.

Still, I can't help but wonder if there's a middle ground. Can't we enjoy the charm of a well-curated collection while also embracing the minimalist's call to simplicity? After all, isn't that the true spirit of cycling – finding harmony in tradition and technology, in experiences and materials?

So, let's celebrate our collective love for cycling, be it through one trusty steed or a stable of them. After all, what matters most is the joy of the ride, isn't it? #CyclingUnity 🚲💨☝️