Do you really need to go big bucks on a new bike ?

dobs

May 18, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new here.

Also new to the cycling community.

Well, I have few friends who bike a lot, some with 3k+ bikes, some with 1k bikes. The one with really expensive bikes is competing and biking is in his lifestyle, so the expensive bike are justified, but the other friends, maybe not that much.

I wanted to get into biking, but then again I don't feel like spending 1k just to pedal around.

I want to approach biking as an hobby that will get me to do more cardio, i'm a very active person that goes to the gym 4-5x/week and run 2-3x per week but I wanted to switch things up, I tought about cycling.

But I find it hard to spend 500-1k just to pratice a sport that is as simple as riding a bike So i was wondering the following :

Does a vintage bike, 10 speed lets say, get's the job done and is as pleasant as driving as a more expensive and newer bike ?

I was looking at my local ad list and could find nice 70s-80s vintage road racing bikes (10 speeds and 12 speeds) in good shape for under 150$. I mean, Would it be a good choice to get one ? put maybe 100-200$ on it for newer equipement and a little refresh and call it a day ?

Could you get similar if not better performance than a brand new 500$ bike (low entry point of road racing bikes)

What do you think ? Yay or nay ? I don't want to compete, but I want to go pretty fast to get a good cardio going and better myself tought.

Thanks alot in advance.

If you end up buying an ill fitting and or poorly performing bike, chances are you will not enjoy the sport and will either have to buy another or hang it up.

Older, vintage, bikes can be fixed up and ridden with the sporty folk. However, you will likely end up paying as much a an entry level road race bicycle without the modern advancements. Watch the want ads / craigslist like a hawk to find a deal on the right sized and good shape road machine or go to a bike shop and try out some models.

You can get a lot of bike in the $600 to $1200 price range if you are a smart shopper.

Originally Posted by dobs
I wanted to get into biking, but then again
Why dont you swim instead? It's a much nicer excersise.

Cycling is probably less boring then running. A nice bike makes it even less boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobs .
Does a vintage bike, 10 speed lets say, get's the job done and is as pleasant as driving as a more expensive and newer bike ?

Meaning a steel bike instead of an Alu or Carbon?

The steel ones are supposed to be more comfortable. Lots about that online.

They are also supposed to "last" more with normal use then Alu.

Btw the Safety Regulations have changed alot in the last few years. Many of these bikes probably no longer meet the safety standards. Which are pretty low anyway even nowadays.

Hey guys, I'm new here.

Well, I have few friends who bike a lot, some with 3k+ bikes, some with 1k bikes. The one with really expensive bikes is competing and biking is in his lifestyle, so the expensive bike are justified, but the other friends, maybe not that much.

I wanted to get into biking, but then again I don't feel like spending 1k just to pedal around.

I want to approach biking as an hobby that will get me to do more cardio, i'm a very active person that goes to the gym 4-5x/week and run 2-3x per week but I wanted to switch things up, I tought about cycling.

But I find it hard to spend 500-1k just to pratice a sport that is as simple as riding a bike So i was wondering the following :

I was looking at my local ad list and could find nice 70s-80s vintage road racing bikes (10 speeds and 12 speeds) in good shape for under 150$. I mean, Would it be a good choice to get one ? put maybe 100-200$ on it for newer equipement and a little refresh and call it a day ?

Could you get similar if not better performance than a brand new 500$ bike (low entry point of road racing bikes)

What do you think ? Yay or nay ? I don't want to compete, but I want to go pretty fast to get a good cardio going and better myself tought.
FWIW. I am in the camp which believes that you CAN cobble together a better-than-the-same-cost-entry-level-bike if you were to "refresh" a vintage bike with newer equipment ...

• BUT, YOU need to spend some time choosing an appropriate frame/bike as the starting point & you need to be capable of DIY work on the bike (vs. having a shop do the work which will probably end up costing ~3x as much) ... the MORE that is usable on the bike the easier the updating will be ... because, then the details (e.g., handlebars/etc.) can be changed at a later date instead of worrying about what to buy for a "bare" frame.

But I find it hard to spend 500-1k just to pratice a sport that is as simple as riding a bike
I think that's the wrong way of looking at things, but yet seems to be very common amongst people new to biking - as if bikes are some type of entitlement that should be nearly free. People have lots of different hobbies, most are hardly cheap. A mid-range set of golf clubs will cost you well north of $1,000, not including all the other necessary accesories and the ever-increasing greens fees to actually go play. A decent semi-auto rifle will cost you over $1,000, never mind $100+ in ammo and the range fee any time you want to use it. I have a $400 remote and thousands of dollars worth of RC planes and helicopters that use very expensive batteries, with very limited life spans.

In contrast, you can get a nice, brand new entry level road bike for $700-1000 and, unlike the majority of hobbies (especially sports hobbies) it costs you exact $0 to go use it as often as you want.

Don't forget helmet, shoes, bibs , jerseys, gloves, socks, water bottles, tools, pump, patch kit, extra tubes, cool sunglasses, bandaids, antiseptic, powerbars and a lifetime subscription to cycling magazine.
You will probably want an indoor trainer for bad weather also.

"I wanted to get into biking, but then again I don't feel like spending 1k just to pedal around." - Me neither. Go to Target and spend >$300 and enjoy it!

"Don't forget helmet, shoes, bibs , jerseys, gloves, socks, water bottles, tools, pump, patch kit, extra tubes, cool sunglasses, bandaids, antiseptic, powerbars and a lifetime subscription to cycling magazine.
You will probably want an indoor trainer for bad weather also." - Some of that you will need, dont forget the vaseline for chaffing too!

"Why dont you swim instead? It's a much nicer excersise." - Seconded, but in addition to not instead of!

Bicycling isnt expensive as it is advertised, so dont worry about the joneses. I avg 200 miles per week on my cheapo mt bike with road tires as a commuting ride to work. I avg 15 mph over the distance and it does what I need it to do. What is "nice" isnt always necessary!

I guess I would say - don't throw away money on a really poor quality mass-market bike, especially from a big box store. If you decide you can only go $500 or $1000, be sure you check out all of the cycling shops locally and online, and look for sales, bargains, and closeouts. You can get some really great deals if you are a careful shopper. One place I kind of like in the chain bike shops is Performance Cycle, because they give you "bonus points" which can add up -- and they often have promotions like "double bonus point weekend".

jhuskey said:
Don't forget helmet, shoes, bibs , jerseys, gloves, socks, water bottles, tools, pump, patch kit, extra tubes, cool sunglasses, bandaids, antiseptic, powerbars and a lifetime subscription to cycling magazine.    You will probably want an indoor trainer for bad weather also.
Pshhh minor details :p For real though, every other hobby I listed has it's required and desired accessories also.

Cheap bikes wear out quickly and dont fit. Good used is better than cheap.

Originally Posted by jhuskey

Cheap bikes wear out quickly and dont fit. Good used is better than cheap.
This doesn't make any sense. Any cheap bike will fit properly as long as the top tube and stem length are appropriate for the rider.

Also, the only items likely to wear out on any bicycle are the tires, chain, and cassette. And brake pads.

Well throw the dice and the one size fits all not and yes the components wear out in about 3 months if you ride any at all. Make sense?

Originally Posted by alfeng

FWIW. I am in the camp which believes that you CAN cobble together a better-than-the-same-cost-entry-level-bike if you were to "refresh" a vintage bike with newer equipment ...

• BUT, YOU need to spend some time choosing an appropriate frame/bike as the starting point & you need to be capable of DIY work on the bike (vs. having a shop do the work which will probably end up costing ~3x as much) ... the MORE that is usable on the bike the easier the updating will be ... because, then the details (e.g., handlebars/etc.) can be changed at a later date instead of worrying about what to buy for a "bare" frame.
Well, I think that way too.

My primary hobby/passion is car tuning, I work myself on my things, and often buy parts to optimize what has been done on an older car.

I think the same can be done on a bike, start with a good aged base but build it for your needs.

I searched trought the basics of getting a bike that suits me (frame size for exemple) but do you know where I can find a good source to tell me if a bike I'm looking at is a good quality vintage bike ? I mean not all bikes are created equal. I would rather get a high low-end quality price older vintage bike than a low quality entry price bike.

First off being an owner of several vintage bikes the answer is YES a vintage bike can get the job done, problem is some main parts like derailleurs and brake levers, could be difficult to find especially if you want to stay retro and original, but most stuff is easy to find. Problem with getting a vintage bike is you have to know your vintage bikes and components or you could end up paying a lot for a crappy bike which they did make crappy bikes back in the day and people try to sell them to suckers for $200 to $300 range. I was riding and racing back in the mid 70's to the mid 80's and I know most of my vintage bikes and components that were good and those that were bad. If you're old like me then you should know if you were involved in cycling back then, if not you need to educate yourself a lot before you go out on a whim and buy a vintage bike or you'll end up with something worse than a new Walmart bike!

Secondly a cheap bike from Walmart will last you about 2 years if you put on 5,000 miles a year, Walmart does sell some better stuff but if you go into their $500 to $800 range bikes you'll be better off going to Bikes Direct if you live in the USA. Here's a few of the good deals at Bikes Direct:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt2300_xii.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/grand_record_xii.htm
Or if you prefer steel: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gran_premio_xiii.htm

Originally Posted by new_rider

This doesn't make any sense. Any cheap bike will fit properly as long as the top tube and stem length are appropriate for the rider.

Also, the only items likely to wear out on any bicycle are the tires, chain, and cassette. And brake pads.
Most cheap bikes are properly proportioned for riders between 4'10" and 5'4".

Other things that break on cheap bikes are rims, hubs, hubs, brake cables, brake pads, brake calipers, brake levers, pedals, cranks, shifters, and derailleurs. I've replaced them all. One advantage to buying a cheap bike is that you can destroy it within the warranty period (one month), return it, and get a new one or a refund. Your old bike won't be returned to the manufacturer. I won't even be stripped for parts. It will go directly into the trash compactor.

Don't forget helmet, shoes, bibs , jerseys, gloves, socks, water bottles, tools, pump, patch kit, extra tubes, cool sunglasses, bandaids, antiseptic, powerbars and a lifetime subscription to cycling magazine.
You will probably want an indoor trainer for bad weather also.
And a razor for your legs.

There is plenty of good riding to be had on old bikes. The trick is to find one that doesn't need too much work, is worth fixing up, and isn't overpriced. But they are out there. You have to be savvy.

I'm actually quite fond of mid-range bikes from the early 80s. Just did some work on a Trek 420 that I would have loved to totally overhaul. Of course, the owner couldn't pay for that.

Old bikes can be give some tlc and happily ridden, but if someone is just starting off and has little knowledge of the sport, I doubt they would be in a position to know what is quality vs. ****. Most of us with time and skills to fix up bikes have more than one for riding.

Just starting out, the most direct route is to get something already road worthy.

Hey guys, I'm new here.

Thanks alot in advance.
Honestly, based upon the sentiments you've expressed above, I don't recommend the sport of cycling for you. You're getting plenty of exercise already, and only seem interested because some of your friends already are.

I could go into greater detail, but if you're that PO'ed by the prospect of spending $500 just don't bother.

Well throw the dice and the one size fits all not and yes the components wear out in about 3 months if you ride any at all. Make sense?
My first (adult) bike was a sub $200 10 speed clunker that was poorly assembled and quite noisy. I rode it several miles a day, pretty much every day for about a year and nothing on the bike came even remotely close to "wearing out." The braking was absolute **** in the wet, and the shifting was very noisy, but everything worked properly.

It was stolen, and I was very, very grateful to have recovered it. I bought another bike shortly afterwards, and it didn't see as much use, but your 3 month timeline is quite ridiculous.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat

Most cheap bikes are properly proportioned for riders between 4'10" and 5'4".

Other things that break on cheap bikes are rims, hubs, hubs, brake cables, brake pads, brake calipers, brake levers, pedals, cranks, shifters, and derailleurs. I've replaced them all. One advantage to buying a cheap bike is that you can destroy it within the warranty period (one month), return it, and get a new one or a refund. Your old bike won't be returned to the manufacturer. I won't even be stripped for parts. It will go directly into the trash compactor.
Mine wasn't. It was the cheapest bike I saw in the shop and bought it almost solely for that reason. It was a 19" bike if I recall, and it fit well enough.

I rode that sucker every day for a year and nothing ever broke. The components and frame were all bottom of the line: steel rims, hi-ten frame, friction shifting with shifters behind the stem. Really low grade stuff.

I knew the bike's limits: if I stood up and pedaled hard, the cranks creaked. I rode cautiously in the rain, and I rode it in the rain a lot.

I finally took it to a reputable shop and they told that a torrent of water came rushing out when they disassembled the bottom bracket! The bike didn't have a touch of grease anywhere! Water flowed in freely into the frame via the bottom bracket and probably the headset/headtube and seat tube also. They greased the bottom bracket and the creaking basically disappeared.

Once I bought a better bike I could tell how much of a crapper this thing really was, but nothing ever broke or required replacement.

I would have an extremely difficult time recommending a $200 bicycle nowadays. But a $400 road bike from bikes direct can probably be ridden as athletically as a more expensive bicycle, assuming it is properly assembled which is assuredly a big IF.