ITB Syndrome anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Emily

Hi,

I've just been diagnosed with ITB Syndrome in my left leg from cycling. It's much better than
when it initially occurred (during a century ride 3 weeks ago), and specific stretches of the ITB
were prescribed, along with lowering my seat 1/4". Has anyone had this ailment, and if so, what
were your experiences? Did it go away with a bit of tweaking and proper stretching of the ITB or
become chronic?

Any experiences appreciated.

Thanks, Emily

Originally posted by Emily
Hi,

I've just been diagnosed with ITB Syndrome in my left leg from cycling. It's much better than
when it initially occurred (during a century ride 3 weeks ago), and specific stretches of the ITB
were prescribed, along with lowering my seat 1/4". Has anyone had this ailment, and if so, what
were your experiences? Did it go away with a bit of tweaking and proper stretching of the ITB or
become chronic?

Any experiences appreciated.

Thanks, Emily

Hi Emily,
I had some problems earlier this year. My knees were really giving me trouble. What had happened was that i had taken to cycling with a vengeance and of course was overdoing it. Muscles in the thigh had developed and were forcing the ITB to take a longer route to where it joined near my knee - it was pulling my kneecap to the outside of my leg. After a few visits to a sports physio (who is also a keen rider),i got some serious massaging and some ITB specific exercises. I am now back into 200km per week (I'm 54 yo). I still do the exercises morning and night plus a few quick ones after a long ride. Everything is back in place and I suffer no more knee pain.
For the name of a good sports physio, check with riders in your local clubs.

Good luck and keep stretching.
Tezza;)

In article <[email protected]> "Emily"
<[email protected]> writes:
>I've just been diagnosed with ITB Syndrome in my left leg from cycling. It's much better than
>when it initially occurred (during a century ride 3 weeks ago), and specific stretches of the ITB
>were prescribed, along with lowering my seat 1/4". Has anyone had this ailment, and if so, what
>were your experiences? Did it go away with a bit of tweaking and proper stretching of the ITB or
>become chronic?
>
>Any experiences appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Emily

Hi Emily-

I had exactly the same thing. Didn't bother me to run on it, just cycle. The PT gave me a bunch of
stretching exercises for it, and told me to reduce my mileage for three weeks. When I did begin
riding again, I had to stop often and stretch the ITB as soon as I felt it tighten up. If I did
that, it never progressed to hurting. After about a month, I could ride my normal distances again
(50+ mi), though I did stretch the ITB before riding and at every break. If it ever started to
tighten up, I'd stop and stretch it. It went away.

Teresa in AZ

Emily wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just been diagnosed with ITB Syndrome in my left leg from cycling. It's much better than when
> it initially occurred (during a century ride 3 weeks ago), and specific stretches of the ITB were
> prescribed, along with lowering my seat 1/4". Has anyone had this ailment, and if so, what were
> your experiences? Did it go away with a bit of tweaking and proper stretching of the ITB or become
> chronic?
>
> Any experiences appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Emily

What's ITB Syndrome? Does it happen only to women? What sorts of exercises were prescribed?

I'm a guy I injured my left knee last fall while cleaning gutters at my parent's house. I can't
afford PT, so I'd like to know how others have dealt with this.

Thanks!

Phil

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> Emily wrote:
> > Any experiences appreciated.

> What's ITB Syndrome? Does it happen only to women? What sorts of exercises were prescribed?
>
> I'm a guy I injured my left knee last fall while cleaning gutters at my parent's house. I can't
> afford PT, so I'd like to know how others have dealt with this.

I'm assuming you're talking about a tight IT (illitobial, IIRC) band. I think it runs more or less
from your hip down to your knee along the outside. I had some issue with this last year while
running track - when I was running it would tighten up and feel very strange. I figured it was just
that - I didn't mash huge gears or anything. The school trainer simply suggested I warm it before
working it (a heat pad) and then ice it afterwards. I suppose this worked: I didn't have much
trouble afterwards. I also stopped running a few months later, though... Also, I believe he said
there was really no good way to stretch it, as your leg doesn't pivot laterally in the middle of the
femur. There were some akward stretches he showed me and said "sometimes worked," but I never felt
them significantly. Good luck to both of you, though I doubt it's an acute injury (not from banging
your knee on a gutter). Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.