It's killing me but..........

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Sillyoldtwit, Jan 24, 2006.

1. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Welcome back, Tyson! Good to hear that you will have a trainer available soon. Hopefully the gym's trainers have power meters, but I haven't seen many gym bikes that actually measure power. If they don't have power meters, don't worry because you can train very effectively without power. All that really matters is that the resistance setting is repeatable. I have an old Tectrix trainer that I still use quite regularly in my training, even though it doesn't measure power. What it does have is three key features. First, it has a big, fat, comfortable saddle that I can ride for hours without any discomfort. Second, it has platform pedals with straps that I can ride with my running shoes instead of my cleat shoes. Third, it has an indexed resistance setting versus an analog dial. So, I'm able to find the resistance setting that I can sustain for a given duration at a given cadence and use that baseline to set resistance for a ride given my objective for the ride (e.g., 20min at 90% of FTP). In the early days of your comeback, don't worry about how many watts you are doing on your trainer rides. Just focus on your training volume.

2. Sillyoldtwitmark2

Sillyoldtwitmark2 New Member

upload_2019-5-21_20-15-58.jpeg upload_2019-5-21_20-40-41.jpeg I67 Hi RD, good to hear from you again and with sound advice as usual.

Today was viewing day at the new gym. They open officially on Friday morning at 6am. There are two floors packed with torture machines including dozens of all kinds of bikes, but of which have power meters (see attached pics)
    The equipment is all spanking brand-new - I can’t wait to mount one of the new trusty steeds. Will post again as soon as I have something worth posting.
    Caio,
    Tyson

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

That saddle and pedals are a lot like my Tectrix trainer. I can ride that kind of saddle for a couple of hours at a time. And, the pedals are nice because you can use common sneakers. Good bike to build a base.

4. Sillyoldtwitmark2

Sillyoldtwitmark2 New Member

Hi guys,

I intended to join the gym on the 1st of June and get cracking on building up my FTP. On the morning of the 1st I was in two minds. Do I want to go through all the torturous training again or just go out on the bike and enjoy the fact that at 77 ( in August) I still had a reasonable turn of speed, even though I had just recovered from prostate cancer?

Well, at 7am I headed for the gym to enrol. It was a little like Fort Knox requiring one to press all the right buttons. I pressed all the buttons I could see and finally banged on the glass doors as instructed on a tiny piece of paper.

To cut a long story short, no one appeared and after 5 minutes I said to myself f- - - you all, I’m not going to join. At that point I decided to take life easy as befits one of my age. Rapdaddyo won’t agree with that.

So I am now bidding all those who have followed and contributed to this thread, in particular Rapdaddyo who over the years has helped me immensely, a fond farewell.

I hope many have been helped and will continue to be helped by all the sound advice proffered in this thread.

Adieu!

Tyson