It's "socking", really!

Roger Buchanan

Guest
Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?

I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for sure)
and lots of other "performance" socks.

The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.

Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:

Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable as
they once were...<sigh>)

with lots of other pairs to go along with them.

I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
underwear anyway?
--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will
be returned.

Roger Buchanan wrote:
> Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
>
> I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
> sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
>
> The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
>
> Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
>
> Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
> as they once were...<sigh>)
>
> with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
>
> I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
> normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
> underwear anyway?

My sock supply has been sorely depleted since my daughter discovered the joys of thin, comfortable
wicking socks. Searching both of our sock drawers I'd come up with:

2 prs IMBA socks 6 prs Schwinn Homegrown Tomato socks 1 pr black, red and green jalapeno pepper
socks 1 pr gold and red chili pepper socks 1 pr yellow and blue road runner socks 1 pr blue and
orange rising sun socks 1 pr red and black Specialized socks 2 pr black and white Fox socks 1 pr
spider web socks

Kathleen

----------
In article <[email protected]>, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Buchanan wrote:
>> Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
>>
>> I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
>> sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
>>
>> The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
>>
>> Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
>>
>> Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
>> as they once were...<sigh>)
>>
>> with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
>>
>> I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
>> normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
>> underwear anyway?
>
> My sock supply has been sorely depleted since my daughter discovered the joys of thin, comfortable
> wicking socks. Searching both of our sock drawers I'd come up with:
>
> 2 prs IMBA socks 6 prs Schwinn Homegrown Tomato socks 1 pr black, red and green jalapeno pepper
> socks 1 pr gold and red chili pepper socks 1 pr yellow and blue road runner socks 1 pr blue and
> orange rising sun socks 1 pr red and black Specialized socks 2 pr black and white Fox socks 1 pr
> spider web socks
>
> Kathleen

What no singles? Is there no sock gremlin at your house?

Paul- always looking for a mate.

Roger Buchanan wrote:

> Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
>
> I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
> sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
>
> The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
>
> Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
>
> Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
> as they once were...<sigh>)
>
> with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
>
> I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
> normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
> underwear anyway?
Couple Pearly Zoomy's This big thick pair of Performance winter cycling socks Got a very cool pair
of CU Buffs socks for Christmas. I think I'm gonna have to talk to lawyer before wearing them
again* :-(

Shawn

*Barnett's gotta go.

Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at COSTCO or the military BX.
I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself. Tried a pair of "cycling socks" a few times, now
they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I missing?

Tom (my feet feel just fine)

tcmedara wrote:
> Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at COSTCO or the military BX.
> I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself. Tried a pair of "cycling socks" a few times, now
> they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I missing?

I buy cheap CoolMax socks, plain white $2 a pair last time I bought. Feet are cooler in the summer,
and they dry much faster in the winter.

Greg

"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at
COSTCO
> or the military BX. I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself.
Tried
> a pair of "cycling socks" a few times, now they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I
> missing?

Once fabric (cotton) gets soaked, it cannot breath, and traps heat.

"Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
>
> I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
> sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
>
> The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
>
> Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
>
> Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
> as they once were...<sigh>)
>
> with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
>
> I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
> normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
> underwear anyway?
> --
> - Rog
>
> http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
>
> NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be
> returned.

One pair of plain Defeet socks. Thats it.

I usually wear just normal old champion ankle socks when I ride. I always plan on getting socks, but
never see designs I really like...

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> "Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
>>
>>I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
>>sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
>>
>>The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
>>
>>Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
>>
>>Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
>>as they once were...<sigh>)
>>
>>with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
>>
>>I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
>>normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
>>underwear anyway?
>>--
>> - Rog
>>
>>http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
>>
>>NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be
>> returned.
>

> One pair of plain Defeet socks. Thats it.
>
> I usually wear just normal old champion ankle socks when I ride. I always plan on getting socks,
> but never see designs I really like...
>
> Jon Bond

Seen these? http://www.sockguy.com/socks.html

mojo deluxe stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen
:
> "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p0U_b.4943$UU.3053@lakeread01...
>> Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at COSTCO or the military BX.
>> I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself. Tried a pair of "cycling socks" a few times, now
>> they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I missing?
>>
> Once fabric (cotton) gets soaked, it cannot breath, and traps heat.

huh, let me correct you.

cotton does absorb moisture and holds it against the skin. In a shoe, that can lead to hot spots and
blisters. , at worst the moisture will rob heat from your body in the winter, causing cold feet. It
has no insulation properties what so ever in terms of retaining heat... that would be all that
moisture encased by a shoe that's causing heat buildup.

Cycling socks are made out of wicking polyesters, which draw moisture away from the skin, keeping
the foot cooler. They are much cooler to wear in warm weather. The synthetic knits stretch and fit
your foot better, less wrinkles and blisters. For cold, wool insulates when wet.

plus cotton gym socks have an exceedingly high dork factor.

me: losing count, some wool ones, 2 sunbursts, 1 spaceman, Hottie, team terry, 2 daisys, IMBA and
some nice short ones that Gab gave me for summer

penny

now don't ,mess with me - I was up all night in the ER with what we thought was appendicitis, but it
only turns out I have some mother of a kidney stone that's working it's way out. Pass the strainer,
please.. ;-(

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Roger Buchanan wrote:
> > Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
> >
> > I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
> > sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
> >
> > The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
> >
> > Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
> >
> > Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
> > as they once were...<sigh>)
> >
> > with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
> >
> > I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is
> > that normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
> > underwear anyway?
>
> My sock supply has been sorely depleted since my daughter discovered the joys of thin, comfortable
> wicking socks. Searching both of our sock drawers I'd come up with:
>
> 2 prs IMBA socks 6 prs Schwinn Homegrown Tomato socks 1 pr black, red and green jalapeno pepper
> socks 1 pr gold and red chili pepper socks 1 pr yellow and blue road runner socks 1 pr blue and
> orange rising sun socks 1 pr red and black Specialized socks 2 pr black and white Fox socks 1 pr
> spider web socks
>
> Kathleen

That reads like a recipe for some very bad soup.

1 pr Poison Spider 1 pr IMBA 1 pr HazMat 2 prs Hula Girls 1 pr Montauk Century 1 lonely Old Bicycle
1 lonely Zoic

Fave: 1 pr old blue Swobo woolies that are badly in need of some darning.

Must have: the Canadian Maple Leaf socks.

Gawd: I'm a dork.

/s

Penny S wrote:
> now don't ,mess with me - I was up all night in the ER with what we thought was appendicitis, but
> it only turns out I have some mother of a kidney stone that's working it's way out. Pass the
> strainer, please.. ;-(

Yowch -- is this your first k-stone, Penny? I've had 3 or 4 over years, and underwent lithotrypsy
twice (well, first time they managed to pull stone out, so didn't have to have it crushed). NURSE,
MORE MORPHINE PLEASE!!!

Hope it passes simply and soon,

Bill "takes potassium citrate and HCTZ to prevent 'em now" S.

On 25 Feb 2004 11:13:09 -0800, supabonbon wrote:

> Gawd: I'm a dork.

Yeah, you guys make it sound like some sort of fashion show. I just have a bunch of Performance
Kevlar socks (they have kevlar in the heel & toe) that are grey, fairly tough, and cost $4 on sale.

...oh and I do have a couple pairs of DeFeet sock with holes in them. What total **** those were.

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
> >
> > I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
> > sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
> >
> > The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
> >
> > Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
> >
> > Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
> > as they once were...<sigh>)
> >
> > with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
> >
> > I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is
> > that normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
> > underwear anyway?
> > --
> > - Rog
> >
> > http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
> >
> > NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be
> > returned.
>
> One pair of plain Defeet socks. Thats it.
>
> I usually wear just normal old champion ankle socks when I ride. I always plan on getting socks,
> but never see designs I really like...

Just get plain ones.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> mojo deluxe stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen
> :
> > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p0U_b.4943$UU.3053@lakeread01...
> >> Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at COSTCO or the military
> >> BX. I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself. Tried a pair of "cycling socks" a few
> >> times, now they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I missing?
> >>
> > Once fabric (cotton) gets soaked, it cannot breath, and traps heat.
>
> huh, let me correct you.
>
> cotton does absorb moisture and holds it against the skin. In a shoe, that can lead to hot spots
> and blisters. , at worst the moisture will rob heat from your body in the winter, causing cold
> feet. It has no insulation properties what so ever in terms of retaining heat... that would be all
that
> moisture encased by a shoe that's causing heat buildup.
>
> Cycling socks are made out of wicking polyesters, which draw moisture away from the skin, keeping
> the foot cooler. They are much cooler to wear in
warm
> weather. The synthetic knits stretch and fit your foot better, less
wrinkles
> and blisters. For cold, wool insulates when wet.

'Much' better explanation.

Mine was the simplified explanation for warm/hot weather. I did not even consider cold weather.

> plus cotton gym socks have an exceedingly high dork factor.

Ha!! Ya mean the the 'over the calf double stripe' kind?? The only socks I have that go past my
ankles are for wearing with my DMs.

> me: losing count, some wool ones, 2 sunbursts, 1 spaceman, Hottie, team terry, 2 daisys, IMBA and
> some nice short ones that Gab gave me for summer

Hmmm, without looking, 1 white Voodoo Cycles, 1 black Voodoo, and a grab of five I got from ebay. I
know 2 pair are Texas themed socks JD would just love to own. In fact one has, "Don't Mess with
Texas" on them.

> penny
>
> now don't ,mess with me - I was up all night in the ER with what we
thought
> was appendicitis, but it only turns out I have some mother of a kidney
stone
> that's working it's way out. Pass the strainer, please.. ;-(

Sorry to hear that. May it pass quickly, and as painlessly as possible.

Penny S <[email protected]> wrote:

> Cycling socks are made out of wicking polyesters, which draw moisture away from the skin, keeping
> the foot cooler. They are much cooler to wear in warm weather. The synthetic knits stretch and fit
> your foot better, less wrinkles and blisters. For cold, wool insulates when wet.
>
> plus cotton gym socks have an exceedingly high dork factor.

Maybe I've just got genetically freakish feet or something, cause it doesn't seem to matter what
I've got on. In winter I wear thicker socks, summer it's lighter ones. Haven't noticed a difference
whether I'm on the bike for 5 hours or 30 minutes. Maybe I'm just lucky.

....and when it comes to "dork factor" socks are pretty far down the list. I've got a lot of work to
do before I get to that one.

And lastly, it strikes me that I'm sitting here writing about f'in' socks! Cotton or otherwise,
there's some exceedingly high dork factor all by itself.

Tom (has no life)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:46:13 +0000, BB wrote:

> Yeah, you guys make it sound like some sort of fashion show. I just have a bunch of Performance
> Kevlar socks (they have kevlar in the heel & toe)

Bullet-proof socks? Whatever will they think of next?

> ...oh and I do have a couple pairs of DeFeet sock with holes in them. What total **** those were.

Go for the ones without the holes in future.

HTH

> I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
> normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
> underwear anyway?
> --

I have white socks. black socks. grey socks. And my fat tire ale socks.

nk